Home cinema from scratch (£5,000 budget). Advice on speakers PLEASE!

Woodhill

Established Member
Reaction score
I need help. I am about to convert a room to a home cinema. It will also be used as a living room (most of the time).

The room is 6.5 metres by 5 metres. I have a budget of about £5,000 for a projector, AV receiver, and speakers.

I want 5.1 surround speakers that will "fill the room".

I will be using the system for Sky HD, PS3, X-box, and a Wii. About 5-10% of the use is gaming. The rest of the time, it will be used for movies and TV. Infrequently, I will use it for music only.

I plan to spend about £1,000 on the AV receiver and £2,000 on the speaker system. Is this a reasonable split?

There is so much conflicting advice out there. Can you help me narrow my choice? I would value advice about a good make in my price range. In my price range, will I need special speaker cables?

Thanks in advance.

With £2k approx to spend on speakers, the MA RX6 AV12 would be at the top of my audition list and should suit AV Receivers such as the Pioneer LX53 and Yamaha RX-V2067 alike. Both are at the £1k mark. There are other options from the likes of Kef, B&W and Focal.

As for cables, you don't need anything "special". Van Damme Hifi 2.5mm or Blue 2.5mm have plenty of copper and are well made and are excellent value. Some of the pro's, studios and plenty of forum members use them so they can't be wrong!

You are bound to get plenty of suggestions and a demonstration should be used to narrow your choice down to your final pairing of amp and speakers as ultimately it is you that is going to have to use the system on a daily basis.

BTW. I think the way you have divvied up your budget is perfect.

I would also have a read through the other thread that is underneath yours!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/what...rs-blank-room-help-me-spend-money-wisely.html

For projector, 1st port of call for looking into would be the JVC HD350, or JVC HD250, should be around the £2k mark or slightly less if you shop around:thumbsup:

With £2k approx to spend on speakers, the MA RX6 AV12 would be at the top of my audition list and should suit AV Receivers such as the Pioneer LX53 and Yamaha RX-V2067 alike. Both are at the £1k mark. There are other options from the likes of Kef, B&W and Focal.

As for cables, you don't need anything "special". Van Damme Hifi 2.5mm or Blue 2.5mm have plenty of copper and are well made and are excellent value.

I would also have a read through the other thread that is underneath yours!

http://www.avforums.com/forums/what...rs-blank-room-help-me-spend-money-wisely.html

Thanks for the advice Dave. I am looking for decent speakers but to be honest, I am not very good at appreciating sound. I know this sounds strange but I find it hard to tell if I am listening to a CD or an audio cassette.

That being said, I have a certain budget and I want to make sure I get a reasonable system. The rest of the family (who are not as interested in the technical bits of the system) appreciate sounds much better!!

I have read the thread you suggested and things seem clearer now. With my limited ability to appreciate sound:facepalm: I will be going for a complete speaker system rather than choosing different subwoofers, rears, etc. So far, I am impressed by the MA RX6 AV12.

For the AV receiver, I am leaning towards the Yamaha RX-V2067. I would have liked the Yamaha RX-V3067 but it is just outside my price range. I am guessing that to do justice to the 3067, I would have to up my speaker budget? Is there much of a difference between the 2067 and 3067 (apart from 11.2 support on the 3067)?

Thanks

I would suggest that you speak to a few dealers.

If you are spending that sort of budget then some may well come and set it up for you.

You mention the rest of the family may have more attuned ears then take them along to.

Enjoy

DrH

Thanks DrH. If only the rest of the family were as particular about the project as I am. Do you know the feeling? I will give it a go and try to drag OH round some dealers.

I know the feeling but to be fair to my mrs she has come with me some of the time.
Especially when we purchased our Pioneer Kuro even she was drawn to the better picture until she saw the price tag.

Your budget has been around my aims and i now just have the speakers to go. It will be a good few months until i have enough money to purchase yet.

I am looking at the MA RX range,
Kef new Q series
B&W ..... which ever comes in budget

I may well have to travel a good few miles to try them all as you may well find out.

Take your time................ dont get caught out on the expensive cables mallarcy....

Good luck and dont forget to post your desicions back here. Pictures are always good.

DrH

DrH, I asked OH yesterday if she felt up to testing some speaker systems. I must say she was very enthusiastic.

We were taking the kids to the cinema and apparently she thought we could look into a shop for about 5 to 10 minutes before going in to the cinema :rotfl:.

Will keep trying.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom