Question Home Cinema for an open plan lounge

Mayandi2

We have a second home in Bangalore, India, where we plan to live 6 months of the year - November to April. I am planning a Home Cinema with surround sound for the lounge but the room is very open plan, leading on to the dining room at the back and opening out to the curved stairwell and the upper floor on one side. For that reason, I think a soundbar based system will not work well; also, the floor is marble and that and rest of the layout make it imperative that the system is as wireless as possible, certainly to the rear.

I am therefore thinking of a Yamaha Musiccast receiver and Musiccast Surround Speakers; there is a very good local Yamaha dealer, which helps. I settled on the Yamaha Musiccast RX A880 Receiver but am a bit confused about the satellite speaker arrangement. Off the wall I thought of using a Musiccast 100 subwoofer, a single Musiccast 50 as a Centre Speaker and 4 Musiccast 20s as surrounds. Fortunately, there are supporting pillars along the sidewalls where the lounge continues to the dining room and these are perfect to install power points for rear speakers.

Will that arrangement work or is there anything else I can do? I am stretching our budget a bit as it is.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Stick with a Stereo (2.0 or 2.1) system - surround sound is never going to work well in the room you describe so better to optimise what will work.

Having all hard surfaces is never great in terms of audio reproduction - ideally you get a rug (or two) on the floor and walls in the area where you place your loudspeakers.

Joe

Mayandi2

Stick with a Stereo (2.0 or 2.1) system - surround sound is never going to work well in the room you describe so better to optimise what will work.
Joe
Understood that in such an open room surround sound will not work so well, but surely it will at least be better than just a front heavy 2.1 system?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LCD TVs for Movies, Laser Projectors, RIP Ennio Morricone, AV & Movie news, B+W Matt Damon
Top Bottom