Home Cinema Edit Suite - Looking For Advice

ckyphil

Novice Member
Hi there,

Long time lurker, first time poster, (I think)... But my time has come.
My family and I are currently living in a rental while the builders extend our semi-detached home.
As part of the this, the garage is being converted into my long awaited home edit suite/cinema.

I'm a TV/Film editor/director by trade and am looking to essentially turn this room into an edit suite with a projector and screen instead of a TV.

The plans are below. Length is 5m, width is 2.7m (not the widest, I know)
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 15.43.55.png

Ignore the furniture and layout as that was done by the architect.

I want to have my edit desk and computers in the recess to the left. And then an L shaped sofa facing the far right wall which will have a 106 inch projector screen. The idea being I can edit as normal, and on occasion spin my chair around and watch my cuts on a big screen. The cinema will also be used for normal film/TV watching.

I feel like a 5.1.2 system would be adequate for the room.

Now, what I would like to know from the AVForums hive mind is basically... tell me what I don't know.
Throw distance? should i be looking at a certain kind of projector?
Speaker placement... I don't think behind the screen is an option so what's my best bet for speaker placement.

The room behind it isn't a WC, it's in fact a utility room. Should I think about putting rack based equipment in there.

If this was your build, what would you be giving some extra thought to?

We are 6 weeks in to the build so a fair few months before the room starts to get installed but I want to plan everything out. I promise to keep everyone with build updates if I can continue to pick your brains.

Thanks!!

Harkon321

Sound proofing. What are your aims/expectations.
How long is the run from the rack location to the projector? Do you need fibre HDMI? Can you run it in conduit in case it fails, potentially run paired cat 6 to the same location as a back up.
Room ventilation - small rooms can get warm with projector.
Light control - how much and what will you use.
Sub location - Use REW to model locations and work out best response. Run cable for other locations in case you add an additional sub for smoother response.

ckyphil

Novice Member
Sound proofing. What are your aims/expectations.
How long is the run from the rack location to the projector? Do you need fibre HDMI? Can you run it in conduit in case it fails, potentially run paired cat 6 to the same location as a back up.
Room ventilation - small rooms can get warm with projector.
Light control - how much and what will you use.
Sub location - Use REW to model locations and work out best response. Run cable for other locations in case you add an additional sub for smoother response.

Thanks for the response!

Sound proofing - The room above is our master bedroom. So I'm unlikely to have it cranked when someone is asleep up there. But I'll look into insulation with soundproofing properties between the rafters. I might also look into getting a thicker door. Otherwise it's on the side of the house not connected to neighbours so I'm not worried about that.

Run Length is prob 4-5m. Is this an issue? I'll look into fibre HDMI, presumably its better over longer runs.

Room ventilation - there is the window at the front and I'll probably get one of those dyson things. Can't justify AC at this point but I'm aware the room will be hot in the summer.

Light control - was thinking 6 dimmers in the main part of room and 2 in the desk recess. Prob go with Phillips Hue as we already have a few of them in the house. I believe if I get a Harmony remote later, they would work with that too.

Sub location - REW modelling is new to me... where/how can I do this? Good shout generally to run additional cables for flexibility in the future.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
I think the first question is what is your genre, what type tv/movies do you direct / edit.

Then,
Whilst the correct answer is both, what is main intention of the room, great picture, great sound different people/genre's will have different focus's.

And ultimately, what is your budget?

ckyphil

Novice Member
I think the first question is what is your genre, what type tv/movies do you direct / edit.

Then,
Whilst the correct answer is both, what is main intention of the room, great picture, great sound different people/genre's will have different focus's.

And ultimately, what is your budget?

Thanks for the reply

I edit a lot of documentaries, mainly for the US. I recently worked on the 3rd season of Netflix's 'Drive to Survive'.

I'd say great picture with good sound that is both a good place to see my offline work on a larger screen, and a great place to watch movies with the kids on the weekend.

Budget is probably £7-8k

Mr Wolf

In addition to the above, I would also be thinking about:
  • projector fan noise - the lower the better
  • getting Ethernet cable runs to all the equipment (inc. projector)
  • Bloc-out blinds on the window for total darkness control in the day
  • Minimising ceiling/walls reflections with use of black velvet or other fabric

I think your £8k budget is sensible. I'd probably be allocating it along the following lines.

Projector, mount & screen - £3,100
AVR - £1,000
Speakers x 7 - £1,700
Subwoofers x 2 - £1,200
Sources [UHD Blu-ray player plus a quality streaming device] - £350
Accessories [Racks, Stands, Cables, Banana plugs, Wall plates, Acoustic panels] - £650

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Ok, so at that sort of budget you would be working with a psudeo 4k projector, which are very very good now,

A mid range screen and if you have the width, i would not go for accousticly transparent, it will rob you of budget.

AVR from any of the regular culprits, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha should give you more than enough punch.

Then speakers. Lots of choice, to conserve floor space i would maybe look at on or in walls a solution. When installing with this sort of budget Monitor Audio, KEF, Klipsch, OSD black and many others all spring to mind and we have been used. The Atmos pair dont have to be the same range or even the same manufacturer, but it is ideal to keep your ear-level 5 in the same range for Timbre match.

For subs, you have the usual suspect, SVS. But plenty of others out there. The Velodyne DeepBlue range is an incrediblely musical and tight sub. And of course i have to mention the Monolith THX's - but if you can stretch to it a pair of 12" rather than a big 15". We sold a pair of 12" to a music guy and he spent time calibrating and testing them, he is now in love! Lol (as most MonolithTHX owner are)

Mr Wolf's budget is the right sort of budget split, but do you need to factor in someone installing it for you?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Initial thought is sofa to the left of the door as you enter the room and use a large OLED or UST on the opposite wall.

Joe

ckyphil

Novice Member
In addition to the above, I would also be thinking about:
  • projector fan noise - the lower the better
  • getting Ethernet cable runs to all the equipment (inc. projector)
  • Bloc-out blinds on the window for total darkness control in the day
  • Minimising ceiling/walls reflections with use of black velvet or other fabric

I think your £8k budget is sensible. I'd probably be allocating it along the following lines.

Projector, mount & screen - £3,100
AVR - £1,000
Speakers x 7 - £1,700
Subwoofers x 2 - £1,200
Sources [UHD Blu-ray player plus a quality streaming device] - £350
Accessories [Racks, Stands, Cables, Banana plugs, Wall plates, Acoustic panels] - £650
Thank you for the budget breakdown. I'll use this as my basis to work from.
I'll definitely try and go for a projector with lower fan noise as a louder one would probably be quite noticeable in a smaller space.
Ok, so at that sort of budget you would be working with a psudeo 4k projector, which are very very good now,

A mid range screen and if you have the width, i would not go for accousticly transparent, it will rob you of budget.

AVR from any of the regular culprits, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha should give you more than enough punch.

Then speakers. Lots of choice, to conserve floor space i would maybe look at on or in walls a solution. When installing with this sort of budget Monitor Audio, KEF, Klipsch, OSD black and many others all spring to mind and we have been used. The Atmos pair dont have to be the same range or even the same manufacturer, but it is ideal to keep your ear-level 5 in the same range for Timbre match.

For subs, you have the usual suspect, SVS. But plenty of others out there. The Velodyne DeepBlue range is an incrediblely musical and tight sub. And of course i have to mention the Monolith THX's - but if you can stretch to it a pair of 12" rather than a big 15". We sold a pair of 12" to a music guy and he spent time calibrating and testing them, he is now in love! Lol (as most MonolithTHX owner are)

Mr Wolf's budget is the right sort of budget split, but do you need to factor in someone installing it for you?
Can you think of such a pseudo 4k projectro that has a motorised lens and lens memory for quickly changing between 2.35:1 and 16:9?

Installation-wise I'll be doing it with my cousin who is the electrician doing the rest of the house.
Initial thought is sofa to the left of the door as you enter the room and use a large OLED or UST on the opposite wall.

Joe
I've thought about this before, and there are many upsides.

But for me, if I did this I don't think I'd fit in a surround system... and I've always wanted a cinema setup. I'm aware the width is an issue but I've seen a few 2.7metre wide garage conversion on here work.

The way I think of it, is while it may be a small home cinema, it's still a very generous home office space.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'But for me, if I did this I don't think I'd fit in a surround system...' - no reason to not include surround and immersive channels if you set up across the width of the room rather than down the length of the room.

As a family/cinema room with the work space off to one side I'd be working up the plan to see how it looks.

If you had the height a split level floor is good where you have the edit suite on the high level and the cinema seating on the lower level and all facing in one direction.

Joe

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I'd never consider a PJ for a timeline output. I'm planning on installing an OLED into my new setup. G1 if I am feeling flush.

ckyphil

Novice Member
I'd never consider a PJ for a timeline output. I'm planning on installing an OLED into my new setup. G1 if I am feeling flush.
I'll also have a 40" output display on my desk for Playback. But it will be nice to have the option of watching some cuts on the big screen

P

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I'll also have a 40" output display on my desk for Playback. But it will be nice to have the option of watching some cuts on the big screen

P

Whats your NLE? Black Magic decklink cards are supposed to be pretty rock solid.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
My early career was in high end post production. I started my own production company around a decade ago and I used to crave recreating that boutique post house feel at home. My studio is nicely specc'd but I got over chasing all the bells and whistles I had grown up with. Most projects now I flip to proxies and edit on a macbook lounging at home. Fire up the final project in the studio to finesse and final export. I keep a nice pair of genelecs for mixing audio but otherwise its largely simple. I concede I'm rarely having client attends though.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Most expensive 'thing' I ever purchased, other than a house, was a Media Composer system. I think it was the 9000 and around 1998, it cost over £80k and thankfully we had plenty work lined up for it at the time.

It had a nice keyboard - that is as close as I was allowed to it :)

Joe

ckyphil

Novice Member
Most expensive 'thing' I ever purchased, other than a house, was a Media Composer system. I think it was the 9000 and around 1998, it cost over £80k and thankfully we had plenty work lined up for it at the time.

It had a nice keyboard - that is as close as I was allowed to it :)

Joe
Wow, how times have changed. Nowadays I don't even need the Avid and during lockdown I've been remoting in to Soho and controlling the machine virtually.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Was interesting back then going in to Soho and seeing 'live' feeds of rushes from the US which were being sent over to be edited (UK time) for the next day (US time) to ensure everything was OK on movie shoots.

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Can you think of such a pseudo 4k projectro that has a motorised lens and lens memory for quickly changing between 2.35:1 and 16:9

Most projectors do this with zoom, screen position and a 12v output trigger to drove the anomorphic lens infront of the image, or not.

Given your budget I would accept the letterbox image on the standard 16:9 screen and focus on getting the sound and image right. They can add a lot of cost when money could be better spent else where.

Yes they are a 'nice to have' but in all honesty not at your budget.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom