1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema Diagrams / Plans?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tezdread, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase an AV Receiver for the first time and I've been looking for some general information, plans or the like so I can see how it all fits together (what plugs in where from what)

Really, what does it all mean? :)

On the AVR I was looking at, it has these rear inputs

Audio Inputs: RCA: 3, Coaxial: 1, Optical: 1
    Video Inputs: Composite: 2

This doesn't really mean anything to me but I guess it does mean that in order to plug my DVD, Subwoofer, TV and PC into the AV Receiver I will need some new cables :)

I have a clear idea of what I want to achieve just no idea of how I can achieve it!

2. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi and welcome to the forums :)

A lot depends on what models you actually use, but generally speaking.............

Connect TV to DVD player with a scart cable and set both to RGB (this will give you picture and sound from the TV, so if you just want to watch the news or something you don't have to have your amp powered up)

Connect DVD to amp with either a digital coacial cable (these are described as 75 Ohm) or an optical cable (these are sometimes called Toslink) - this is so you can listen to a movie soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS.

Connect your sub to the amp's pre-out "Sub-woofer out" - assuming you have an "active" sub (a sub with its own built in amplifier).

You can also connect your TV with a left/right stereo cable to the amp to benefit from Dolby Pro Logic/II sound.

I hope that makes some sort of sense :)

Good luck,

Sigs

3. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That does make more sense to me and after digging around the back of all the bits I'm getting a better idea of what will go where. :smashin:

I notice on the back of my DVD player that it has both Optical & Coaxial audio outputs, I think I will have to use the Coaxial if I want to plugin my PC as this will have to use the optical (if my understanding is right?) but what's the difference and more importantly will I notice the difference if I use one over the other?

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi mate.

Re: Optical and Coaxial cables - I suspect you won't notice much difference ;) I've just ordered an optical cable, after moving my gear around and putting the Sky+ box under the TV (it seems much more natural there as opposed to on my rack) and the .75 metre one I have is now about 1.5 m too short! Here's a couple of cheap sites to check out - accessories and cables. Also - if you want a more professional looking/quality cable check out Mark Grant's PowerBuy here on the forums - I have one of these and they certainly look the business!

You'll have to let me know how everything sounds/looks when you've finished setting everything up...........and a year from now you'll no doubt look back on this thread and smile and then grimace as you realise how the much upgradeitis ends up costing :D

All the best, mate.

Sigs

5. Tezdread

Tezdread

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my mum warned me of people like you!

start me off with cables and accessories until I'm hooked and then get me begging for the fully custom big bucks rigs :rotfl: :rotfl: