• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

"Home Cinema" - definition

MunkyHeed

Standard Member
Hi experts :)

I've got a Panasonic Viera HDTV at home (about 3 years old), and am looking to get a 5.1 surround kit to go with it.

I've seen the Panasonic Sc-BT230EB-K Blu-Ray 5.1 Home Cinema System, but I've got a fundamental question - will it JUST be the BD/DVD's that are played back in 5.1, or could I use this to get Stereo/5.1 out of my Cable TV/XBox/Wii etc as well?

If its just the BD's, can you recommend another amp/5.1 setup that would be VieiraLink compatible and allow me to add all my gadgets?

Thanks.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Personally I would not worry about VieraLink and instead get yourself an all in one remote like the Logitech Harmony. This is not only easy to set up it will also offer more functionality than vieralink.
You need to check what audio inputs the system has but I suspect it is not going to have enough to connect all the things you want to. Also like most all in one systems the sound quality is not going to be great either.
What budget do you have for a proper AV amp and speakers?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I think it has 2 optical inputs so you should get 5.1 from the Xbox and Cable. The wii only outputs stereo so you would need to use the analogue audio out (red/white phono) to the home cinema system which should give you a pseudo surround effect.

MunkyHeed

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice guys. Budget is low to be honest... around £250 (my Dad is buying it for me for Christmas).

Otherwise, could you recommend JUST an amp that'll allow me to connect it all up? TBH, I'm not that bothered about BD/DVD - I don't watch many, and I have the XBox for DVD if need be.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If you could increase the budget by £50 then you could get the Onkyo 3305 (although paying a little more again for the 5305 is well worth it since it has an active sub).

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom