Home Cinema Curtain Material

KuroMike

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am nearing completion of a garage conversion and managed to get the missus to agree to have a projector in there and a fixed screen and some speakers.

The compromise being that she got to decorate the room and shall we say we do not have the most home cinema friendly colour scheme! As a result, the light bouncing from the side walls and floor is effecting the picture and so I am looking to get some curtains that I can draw along the walls and some sort of material that I can lay on the floor when I want to watch a film.

Anybody out there with any recommendations without having to spend an arm and a leg? I thought about some dark grey full height curtains from Dunelm as I am guessing most materials will absorb the light a lot better than my current walls will?

Can nobody recommend any material that I could get to roll out on the floor when needed also?

I am a newbie to this home cinema business so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Mike.

Last edited:
If you want the best possible image, then you want the walls (and ceiling) as black as possible. Now you can get a very good image with less than black, but if it's curtains that you just close when watching a film, they might as well be black. Depending on how black you want to go, people will recommend some materials (eg, MVEL22 for black).

Curtains for the walls is a good idea. You can actually get curtains to also do the ceiling (there's a video of just that on YT, that hopefully someone will link to).

You could get a black rug for the floor, or similar.

Hi Triggaaar

Thanks for the reply on this. They will just be curtains for closing when watching a film. I'll take a look on Youtube.

Hi Triggaaar

Thanks for the reply on this.
You're very welcome.

They will just be curtains for closing when watching a film. I'll take a look on Youtube.
I've tried to find the build I'm thinking of, and I can't (yet). It's quite clever, they just pull one side, and both sides and the ceiling slide to black.

Hi Triggaaar

Do you think dark grey curtains would eliminate most of the light bouncing back? I may struggle to get her to go for black. I am severely hampered with my other half's choice of colours!
"It has to feel homely" she says :facepalm:

Hi Triggaaar

Do you think dark grey curtains would eliminate most of the light bouncing back?
Yes, or even a dark colour. A lot of professional builds use fabric, and not many of them use black purely because it's not generally popular with partners. I figured if it was a curtain that's not in use when not film watching, it wouldn't matter, but if it can't be black that's no big deal, you can still get a great picture.

I may struggle to get her to go for black. I am severely hampered with my other half's choice of colours!
"It has to feel homely" she says :facepalm:
Does it have to 'feel homely' while watching the flim? Because if you're watching a film on a big screen with the lights off, you don't really want that to feel homely, you want to feel like you're in the film. Unless it's more for watching general TV content using a projector?

But if it needs to feel homely while the curtains aren't in use, that's more down to your design and build skills. Nice homely decor behind where the curtains will go etc.

And possibly homely seating, as opposed to recliners?

I totally agree with you with making the room so it feels like being in the film. I think it's just one of them things with living with someone who doesn't appreciate good image quality - don't think she can tell the difference between SD and HD let alone black levels and contrast! :laugh:

Thanks again for the advise mate

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom