Question Home cinema connections

marcin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to get some 5.1 speakers for my living room. I am watching TV through Mini PC (windows 10, 4gb ram) mostly movies and TV series. Mini PC is connect to TV (Sony 40" LED) through HDMI cable.
Now in between I want some 5.1 System - with pass-through on video (sorry not sure how this is called). ex. I play movie on TV Box (with 5.1 sound) sound and video goes through HDMI cable to Home Cinema system 5.1, then another cable from Home Cinema goes to TV with Video.

My budget is low for this, and don't expect anything high end, seen some systems for 100-200£ but all seems to be only DVD/BD players..with 1 HDMI output only.

My TV Box has only HDMI and 3.5mm mini jack output. There is no Optical port to connect straight to Home Cinema. Mini Jack will carry only 2.1 sound as far as I am aware.

Any tips for proper name for this what system need to have for me to work, or some examples really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Video - are you catering for FullHD (1080p) or planning to cater for UHD. (2160p)?

Sources - how many do you wish to cater for?

Budget - is low for a 5.1 'system' or AVR + Speaker package if purchasing new.

Room - any thoughts on the layout and style of speakers you want to have and also how you will mount them?

Joe

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for answer, here is more info:
Video - 1080p only, UHD maybe in 2-3 years when gets more common -Nice to have option
Budget - something low end - what will play better than TV build-in speaker
Room - is almost square, on one wall TV and on opposite sofa (about 3m distance)
Thinking of quite tall (high)back speakers, front could be also tall(high) or smaller. Subwoofer will on the side of TV table

Back speakers have to be tall on leg, sofa heights is about 80-90cm

TV - if it supports 5.1 via its HDMI Input sockets that could be a way forward, you will need to confirm in the User Manual.

TV Audio out - if the TV does support 5.1 you could use an Optical cable down to a Soundbar, Soudnbase or budget 5.1 system.

5.1 System - if you do need to switch HDMI via a 'system' amp you are going to struggle at your indicated budget unless you can consider going second hand, you could find a 1080p capable AVR plus speakers (though the Tall Boy types you describe are mostly 'system' speakers!).

Onkyo HTX-22HDX - if you can find one these are a great 'starter' system, the system was sold as a 2.1 system and you can add additional speakers at a later date for 5.1.

Onkyo | HTX-22HDX

Joe

Thanks Joe for your help.

I am looking at Onkyo system, looks good. Considering also some USB 5.1 Sound Card (for PC BOX) and connecting some 5.1 PC Speakers like Logitech Z906. Small rear speakers but maybe can hang them up on the wall.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom