Home Cinema Choice has no idea. A misleading waste of time

Urban Splash

Established Member
Reaction score
The new Home Cinema Choice out today has a review of the Toshiba 37WLT68

It describes it as 'Handles HD up to 1080p'

This is pretty misleading as this set is not a true full 1080 set.

Why not send an email to HCC then and let them know? Mistakes happen it's not the end of the world.

It is if I was using this magazine as a basis for a purchase

I would never spend in excess of £1000 on anything without cross referencing the information, reading professional and user reviews and if possible going to see it. I do not think many, if any, people would just read a review and spend that sort of money without further research and checking.

As I say, sometimes mistakes happen. I am sure there is no HCC/Hitachi conspiracy going on!

If you took the time to read the instructions on the set you will see that it DOES "Handle upto 1080p". A screen does not have to be 1920x1080 to handle 1080p. A lot of Plasmas "Handle 1080i and p" but the screen res does not match what you would expect.

If you took the time to read the instructions on the set you will see that it DOES "Handle upto 1080p". A screen does not have to be 1920x1080 to handle 1080p. A lot of Plasmas "Handle 1080i and p" but the screen res does not match what you would expect.

I have took the time, I just dont see the point in highlighting if it can handle 1080p if it can't display it.

It's confusing enough for those who dont know much about HDTV, magazines should take more care.

In no part of the item description does it tell the average reader that the set is not full 1080. Thats all i'm saying. Oh lord I have spoken out about Home Cinema Choice, strike me down.

And while I'm on ranting about Home Cinema Choice, It says that 'all xbox360 owners should rush out to buy a 360 HD DVD player'

Has one of those writers actually tried getting hold of one?, cos if they had, they would be telling their readers that there is no way you will get one from anywhere for a while because microsoft launched a handful in the UK.

And who cares what they think of an imported PS3? Sony says we should wait for the PAL version and does not condone grey imports. Therefore, a UK magazine should not be confusing UK buyers with resolution problems with grey imports.

end

Yes it can display a 1080p source, so their quote is not mis-leading, it "Handles up to 1080p", now if they stated that it was a 1080p full res display then that would be mis-leading.

Yes it can display a 1080p source, so their quote is not mis-leading, it "Handles up to 1080p", now if they stated that it was a 1080p full res display then that would be mis-leading.

you work for them?

:rotfl: :cool:

Nice rant. I'd assume HCC is aimed at a mature audience that can handle and may actually want a UK AV perspective on a much talked about bit of kit like the PS3 even if it isn't currently available here yet.

Re xbox HD DVDs, nope, not likely to get one this side of Xmas if you haven't already but that's no reason not to recommend (sp?) it.

I agree about the slightly misleading 1080p thing about the Tosh but isn't it clearer in the specs?

I have to agree that saying something can handle 1080p and then not qualifying that by making it clear that does not mean it has a native display resolution of 1080p is a bit cheeky. I still say that when spending the sort of money this TV costs you should always check, double check and check again and this sort of thing only goes to prove that.

My 10 year old crt handles 1080p clips played on my computer via TV-out. It downgrades the picture to 625i but downscaling is always done better than upscaling.

It's great having a 1080p TV (!)

I have to agree that saying something can handle 1080p and then not qualifying that by making it clear that does not mean it has a native display resolution of 1080p is a bit cheeky. I still say that when spending the sort of money this TV costs you should always check, double check and check again and this sort of thing only goes to prove that.

I really like Home Cinema Choice, but this month issue just got me annoyed for some reason! I think they are running out of stuff to review till we get into the new year. I really want to see a review of the sharp xdi1 range. They are sooooo slow.

Shame about the 360 HDDVD. I got shafted by amazon, I will never learn........

And who cares what they think of an imported PS3? Sony says we should wait for the PAL version and does not condone grey imports. Therefore, a UK magazine should not be confusing UK buyers with resolution problems with grey imports.

end

My guess is a significant proportion of their readers care what HCC think of an imported PS3. What manufacturer does condone grey imports? Of course Sony say we should wait but if people don't want to wait why shouldn't they be able to read about potential issues they might face?

My guess is a significant proportion of their readers care what HCC think of an imported PS3. What manufacturer does condone grey imports? Of course Sony say we should wait but if people don't want to wait why shouldn't they be able to read about potential issues they might face?

Tut tut, Sony has eyes in it's machines......wait for PAL and everything will be ok

Tut tut, Sony has eyes in it's machines......wait for PAL and everything will be ok

I always knew that they made special controllers that were less responsive and sometimes failed to work on purpose when I used them causing me to lose when playing (nothing to do with my utter lack of gaming skill, you understand) but eyes in their machines!!!! :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom