1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Cinema Choice AE700 Review....Accurate?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Oakleyspatz, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I've just read the latest Home Cinema Choice review of the AE700 and they make no remarks about the seemingly common problem of Verticle Banding. In fact, they actually state that there is no verticle banding and award the AE700 5 stars and place it top of the £1500 projectors in their test which includes both the Infocus SP4805 and the Sanyo Z3.

Does this mean that the verticle Banding problem is NOT common to all units and if so, why not? or does it mean that Panasonic have sweetened the deal with HCC to make their review a glowing one?
    I mean, if some units display no verticle banding, what do those units have that the others don't and why can't all units be produced the same as those units? If it was not for the VB issues that plague the AE700, I think they would have the best selling projector ever created!

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    They do seem to come to some odd conclusions at times. I remember them marking the NEC HT1100 down (did they do the same for the HT1000?) because it was native 4:3, yet it produces excellent 16:9 images when set to behave as a purely 16:9 pj, and in many cases better than dedicated 16:9 pjs.

I also bought a Philips 963 DVD player because they gave it such a glowing review. The one I got was frought with problems, and a look over on the US avsforum showed a huge thread of people who were having the same propblems as myself. I sent mine back (as did others).

I do like the magazine, but I feel that much better and more accurate info is to be had from forums like this.

Gary.

3. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have found that it disapears if it is powered off and not put in standby.

4. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I really do dislike magazines and their wishy washy reviews. A thread on this forum just a couple of weeks ago slated a magazine for its preference to Infocus machines, while it didn't even test the Z3,AE700 or HS50. I did on that thread say that Home Cinema Choice was one of the few magazines that did offer a good service as they do go into technical details rather than some shaby ' we've only ever seen 2 projectors in our life and we think....' reviews. I have a Panny AE700 and I had no VB out of the box (honest!!). My mate had a AE500 with slight VB, and a AE700 which has slight VB (after the tweak!). The problem with this forum can sometimes be that you only hear the complaints about PJs. There was a poll on a thread asking people if they had VB on their 700's which seems to have dissapeared. I will try to bump it to the top of this list and continue the poll. I think HCC honestly got a machine with no VB but that does'nt get away from the fact that the review should mention that there are machines out there with it!

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Deano has got it right I think. Im my opinion, newer machines definitely exhibit less banding that the first few batches. Mine has really never shown any signs of it whatso ever and Ive tried everything (even rented Attack of the Clones to test). So they may well have got one like mine, but they should have mentioned that some people have complained about it.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I could see the point of these magazines when there was no internet, but these days I would rather ask the opinions of people on forums like this one, rather than rely on the opinions of someone who has reviewed a machine over a very short period. You get much better opinions from real owners of the machines.

7. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine was !st batch (no VB) and their was next to no posts about VB until the 2nd or 3rd batch arrived and then :eek: :eek: VB Central :eek: . Now it does seem to be getting better!

8. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone notice how on the ratings for each catogory the SP4805 cleared up with a full house yet still come in joint 3rd??? The Panny 700 ratings were actually lower!!

I am in the market for this bracket of pj and am still undecided, I will take onboard the views of this forum and then hunt down every pj in price range and demo until "I" decide whats right for me (oh and the wife!!)

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Had a demo of the screenplay 4805 today. What a superb machine - picture was electric. Saw Star Wars and Shrek 2 on it. Very impressed.

Nice and intuitive to use too. A great purchase:thumbsup:

By the way, I have said this before, but I am positive that some companies finance 'good' reviews. In fact if we look at the evidence, why would you randomly write 'oh, and there is no vertical banding either' when you are half way through what would appear to be a conclusive review. To me its almost as if somebody told them "and can you mention the lack of VB" :lesson:

Finally, whilst I am on the subject of VB, I did see it occasionally on my Panny AE300 - however, this week I bought some Mark Grant Belden component video cable. Now I see none at all. A worthwhile purchase :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cap :)

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Isn't VB an artefact of the projector LCD panels, and not of the source?

Gary.

11. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    VB is most definately a charateristic of lcd panels but it seems that the better quality the source the less vb you will see. Sky shows VB for me but I never notice it when playing dvd through my htpc.

12. Whyshirley

Whyshirley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - my experience also with VB. I see some when viewing off air broadcasts via RGB into my TX100, but have only ever noticed it once in 400+ hours of viewing off DVD via a DVI connection. Very odd - presumably some signal characteristics make the panel artifacts worse? I'd love an explaination?