home cinema cables...help please!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Mark P, Mar 1, 2001.

1. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This post goes out to anyone who has some knowledge and experience of home cinema setup. I'm fairly new to home cinema, but i soon got the bug for it. i've had my widescreen tv for a couple of years, and after a lot of testing i have ordered my first 'Reciever'. I've ordered the gold version of the Denon 2801. This will be delivered in 10 days but i want to get prepared for it. Here is where i could do with some help.
    " i'm not quiet sure what types of CABLES i need to buy to connect my reciever up. I have a : tosh 32" tv - 3scarts/svideo/audio R/L OUT.
    : tosh DVD - SVideo/scart/audio R/L OUT/opt/cox digital outputs.
    : JVC VCR - 2 scarts/audio R/L OUT
    : Sky digital
    I would be very grateful if anybody could point me in the right direction on which cables i need to buy, and answer questions such as 'does my tv have to connect to the reciever and like wise my sky digi box.' I've got a feeling its going to cost me a fortune in new cables? am i correct.What i do know is my reciever has s**t loads of connections on the back. Hopefully all you home cinema lovers out there can answer my questions and tell me what i require.i know there are some very knowlegable people out there..................
    look foward to any replys with great anticipation.
    mark p

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have video and sky connected to tv via scart then the tv stereo output will feed the sound from these to the amp thus only needing one set of quality RCA leads. Connect the DVD to the digital input of the amp, coaxial the best. You can buy seperate sets of leads later if you wish, but gains might be minimal.

3. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Check when using the output for audio from the TV, mine TV stereo output was considerably worse than taking the Audio straight from the Sky box.

Secondly you need to decide if you want your amp to do video switching aswell as audio. If you want your amp to simply select audio you can leave all your equipment connected as it is and take just connect the Audio outputs to your amp (along with a coax or optical lead from your DVD (Coax is supposed to be the preferred choice).

If you want your amp to switch the picture aswell, you'll need to buy some scart to 3 phone leads (or to 1 phono lead if your audi signal is separate) if using composite, or scart to s-video if your components support it.

Hope this give you a starting point, let me know if you want anymore assistance.

4. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    If I were you, I would not use the AV box for video switching. Ideally you want anything possible to use RGB (or Component, but you will not have this with your TV), AV boxes do not have RGB switching (none that I can think of other then Arcam Dave which will switch component). Besides surely you are looking for the best possible picture, so why put something in between source and display if you do not have to. Other then your video (which in todays world is your poorest source) you do not want to use a scart to phone, as this will only give you composite signal. This is only just better than RF!!! Always look to use RGB or S-Video.

You are better off using your AV box for what is is truely intended . . . Sound.

Ian.

5. Mark P

Mark P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot guys, it looks like it won't be too expensive after all. you have set me on the right tracks. i'll visit my local A/V shop now with some more idea of what cables to buy and what they do.
    thanks ian, slingshot and phil for some prompt replys, and good info.
    mark p