Home cinema build - Incoming!

Discussion in 'Members DIY Home Cinema Showcases' started by moraybank, Feb 5, 2014.

1. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hello folks,

I'll be using this thread for pics of my build/setup when I move into my first house in the middle of April, so right now Im in the planning and preparation stage. Nothing impressive, whatsoever Im afraid.

The layout on the ground floor looks like this rough mockup I made last night:
    [​IMG]

Furthest away on the top right is the living room. You can see closest to the camera is a small Games/Room office space area. These are the two rooms I will be focusing on first.

Living Room:
    The AV equipment for the living room arrived last week from Richer Sounds and is all still boxed (bar the TV, it's being enjoyed already!). It consists of:
    • Panasonic Viera 55VT65B Plasma
    • Denon AVRX2000
    • Q Acoustics 2000Ci - Walnut
    • Q Acoustics 2010i (x4) - Walnut
    • Q Acoustics 2070i - Walnut
    • Q Acoustics 2000 Wall Brackets (x2)
    • 50m Cabling from TLC
    • Nakamichi Banana Plugs
    • Dune 301 media Streamer
    • Antec SoundScience USB 6500k HDTV Lighting
    • Harmony 900 Universal Remote
    Things planned/still to be bought for Living Room:
    • Sony Playstation 4 (maybe another Xbox One instead)
    • Sofas
    • TV Stand
    • Projector
    • Screen
    • Intel NUC running XBMC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am toying with the idea of a false wall and having the speakers sitting in there along with the TV (see mockup), and a wall bracket for the VT which allows me to pull it out away from the wall if I need to access the rear. I would also like to have a projector screen installed that can be near invisible when retracted. I need to look into that, along with speaker height, and sub placement.

Games Room:

The Games room has everything I need ready to go from gear I already own and use, so it will undoubtedly be finished very quickly:
    • Panasonic Viera 50ST30B
    • Yamaha YSP-2200 Soundbar
    • Xbox One
    • Xbox 360 250GB Slim
    • Tritton Warhead Headset
    • Norstone Khalm TV Cabinet in Black - has IR capability glass, adjustable legs and can be wall mounted. (Arrived but still in box)
    • Milano Euro Lounger Sofa Bed in Brown - (En route)
    Everything will be connected up to a Netgear Gigabit Switch by Cat6, I also have an Apple Airport Extreme Basestation but this will likely not be used. Hooked into the GB Switch will be an HP Microserver (4GB RAM, 6TB HDD) running Nas4Free. I have another Microserver but it is for business use.
    I am unsure on a location for the Microservers, possibly in the cupboard under the stairs.

I have another 42" Viera which may possibly end up in a bedroom but I haven't thought that far ahead! The GF is not a fan of my priorities, she thinks we should have a couch, bed and kitchen table sorted out before any of this (what does she know!)

Thanks for looking, I'll update when I can!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. fireisdangerous

fireisdangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds good.

3. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Seeing as I still have a couple months before I move in I decided to download a 3D app last night and try my hand at sketching up a possible false wall. Idea would be to have shelves integrated and possibly illuminated with LED strips (doubtful on the LED's though). Removed the top glass shelf to show the Mrs the possibilities.

[​IMG]

4. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    After seeing the sofabed I ordered for the games room £85 cheaper inshore I decided to cancel (it was more rigid than I expected anyhow), I sat on a Lazyboy power recliner in passing and loved how comfy it was. The other half wasn't so enamoured with them, but it's my games room so I ordered 2 (once she was out the way at work on Monday that is)! Same as the pic below but in brown premium leather (they didn't have the black unfortunately)

[​IMG]

5. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +166
  6. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Ordered this sofa for the living room, and a regular 2 seater to go with it.

[​IMG]

7. 0borrissey0

0borrissey0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Looking good so far, all set for April?

8. Iffy09

Iffy09
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Look forward to seeing how this pans out, looks amazing

9. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Nope not at all. I collect the keys on the 9th then on the 10th I have to go back to work for 2 weeks, so not expecting much progress until around May! The games room will be pretty much done equipment wise, I should be able to set that up really, really quickly as I have all the equipment ready, just need to decide on decor.

Still trying to convince the other half a Projector is a necessity, I think she says a projector can't wash our clothes, keep our food cool or be used to sleep on. I think she has a point.

Just expensive starting from scratch!

10. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Got the keys yesterday afternoon and spend the day getting everything in and unboxed. Called it a day at midnight, spent ages assembling the Norstone TV cabinet in the games room. I only have a few poor pics that I taken to show my brother how things were going.

So far I have put in the cabinet, Panasonic 50" S20b, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Yamaha YSP2200 and Tritton Warheads, see pic below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im looking to do away with the trunking you can see in the background then I think I'll wall mount the TV and possibly soundbar. Im toying with the idea of putting the s20 in the bedroom, mounting my 55vt65 in its place and buying a 65vt65 for the living room, but the other half isn't having it.

Im planning on running cat6 to everything but I haven't had a chance to fully inspect what I have to work with, it looks like it's going to be a nightmare from a glance. Then I need to decorate.

Assembled the Lazyboy power recliners, not too happy though (with myself) as they should have fit according to the room dimensions... but thats not including the radiator which I wasn't aware of. Im looking now to either completely remove the radiator, or have a skirting board heating setup. That should leave a sufficient gap as they are too squashed at the moment:

[​IMG]

Today nothing AV related happened apart from assembling the kitchen chairs (table was done yesterday) hoover and sweep of the kitchen-utilities-games rooms, as they were in a right state of mess with empty boxes, paper and polystyrene.

[​IMG]

The other equipment is sitting in the living room, and will do so untouched for the next fortnight as Im away to work. As soon as Im home Im ordering BT Infinity then I'll be wall mounting the 55vt65 and looking to build the false wall... hopefully...

11. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    What software did you use for the mockup?

12. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The ground floor layout plan was done with a prog called Sweet Home 3D I think. The false wall was SketchUp.

Both Apple Mac versions.

13. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +585
    Thanks, will look them up.

I am living overseas for work, and was thinking of planning a extension for a AV build as a dream / sanity check.

14. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Hi mate, may I ask what software you used for your plans?

15. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    It's answered in post #12 :)

16. Alps

Alps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    Whoops! I did read through the Thread - honestly! But seems not properly. Thanks moraybank.

17. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    No problem.

BT Infinity now ordered, a little miffed that they offer £50 Sainsburys vouchers to new customers online. My address isn't listed with their online service so had to do it over the phone, I asked if I could get the vouchers seeing as I would have ordered online if they had my address and was told no. Oh well!

18. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    AV wise, bit the bullet and ordered SkyHD+, that gets installed on the 1st, bulk CAT6/RJ45/Boots ordered. Living room sofas have arrived too.
    I need to wall mount the 55VT65 in the living room, pull cables and find a suitable location for the new Master Socket.

Non-AV wise, the garage flooring has been dropped off, microwave, slow cooker etc. Still have to take delivery of the washing machine/tumble dryer/fridge/freezer and first load of gym equipment.

Roll on Thursday to get home and started!

19. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Well, moved in last weekend. After the first night I noticed there was a dripping noise and a water spot on the living room roof, right above where the TV is, so that's put a hold on the false wall for a while. Had a roofer in and replaced the missing slates.

Mounted the TV and the Sky HD+ got installed a couple days ago with an octo LNB.

BT Infinity got installed and it's been a bit of a downer. I was told Id get 38-55Mb, the installer came and I was only getting 20Mb, we then checked other phone sockets around the house which should have been dead... but were still live. The very confused installer had to go, so I started my detective work. I found a total of 5 master sockets when there should only be one. After each one was disconnected Id see an almost 2.6-2.7Mb jump in speed. My current speed is this:

[​IMG]

Download is not bad, not far away from what I was quoted but Im pretty bummed out though because the ping is way higher than what I require (I bought infinity for the hope of super low pings for gaming). I suspect there is another master socket/dodgy wiring tucked away because the line from outside the house is black, but it runs under the ground and we cannot find where it enters the house. I fear my only option is to get an engineer out and a new line run into the house, although Im not sure this is possible, it will be costly and it may not reduce the ping at all.

I also bought a Nest system and hooked it up yesterday, fantastic piece of kit:
    [​IMG]

Hooked it up to the living room wall temporarily until we get the rooms exactly how we want.

The Amp/Speakers etc are all still boxed waiting on the false wall to be built, which is looking like next month. I'll take some iPhone pics later to show where Im at.

20. AltGr

AltGr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Where is this sofa from please?

21. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Its from the brand SITS, the name of the sofa style is Domino.

Here's a pic from shortly after we moved in, excuse the mess (can still see speakers etc boxed in the corner).

Not at home right now to take any new pics but the sofa is massive. I'm just over 6ft 3" and when I'm on the chaise section my legs don't hang over the end. It's like having a bed in your living room!

ImageUploadedByAVForums1403005857.943817.jpg

TV has been wall mounted but I'm not happy with its placement, so when it comes to building the false wall soon I'll be relocating it higher up.

House has quite a few problems that need ironing out which has put a delay on the AV side of things.

22. Silverblack

Silverblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +578
    Chairs look lovely.

23. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks! Really happy with them.

I'll try and get some better pics up of the current state of the room when I get home on Thursday.

24. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I know this isn't part of the AV stuff (but it is getting a plasma wall mounted, soundbar, sky & streamer hopefully!) but I just returned home at dinnertime and built our bed in the master bedroom. The new carpet got laid when I was away.

My back is broken (17 boxes all in)! Just need a mattress and sheets now.

More real progress pics to follow later.

ImageUploadedByAVForums1403194615.406949.jpg ImageUploadedByAVForums1403194629.721239.jpg

25. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Had a lot of house problems to sort out, so all the AV stuff has taken a back seat. There has been no progress with the false wall because Im waiting on some changes in the lobby and dining room to get done first. As its all taken so long I've got the TV on a cabinet with the Amp, Sky HD, Dune 301, L/Centre/Right + Sub set up

[​IMG]

To update I got a Samsung 22" UE22H5600 for the bedroom, but now I've stuck it in the kitchen. What a cracking little TV by the way! it impressed me so much so that I got another Samsung TV to replace it in the bedroom.

[​IMG]

The H6410, which just fits perfectly on top of the drawers. It literally has no room to spare. There's also no soundbar etc going in the bedroom, there's simply no room for it, don't really need it tbh. If I get an NUC for the living room the Dune can move to the bedroom or games room, but the Samsung is fairly capable on the media streaming front anyway so not really bothered.

I've taken delivery of a some CAT6 faceplates and a few other bits and bobs, I have a mate supposedly coming on Thursday to help me cable pull.

The games room has migrated to the downstairs spare bedroom. Managed to vastly improve my internet speed too.
    [​IMG]

I want to watch the Sky HD upstairs, so ordered HDMI over CAT6 extenders and an HDMI splitter. Pretty sure I could get away with just using the splitter and an 8m HDMI cable, would still need IR blasters anyway.
    I tested out the splitter earlier (pic below)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  26. Bushman

Bushman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi mate stuff like the bed, carpet and sofa aren't part of the AV gear but it sure does make the room and gives inspiration to us lurkers who need inspiration. Like the sofa I've never heard the brand before so take plenty of pics and show off your house!!

27. Bushman

Bushman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Also where did you get your bed from has it got a light underneath it?

28. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I LOVE my sofa, it was expensive, but just about worth it. Everyone who's been over comments on it, a lot can't believe the scale of it (pics don't do it justice).

The bed is a Nolte Mobel from Costco, I have the drawers to match too.

[​IMG]

I added the 5m warm white LED strip myself, probably get another strip for putting around the rear of the headboard so there's choice of illuminations. They are turned off from extension plugs attached to the behind of the drawers.

The CAT6 HDMI extenders arrived with the blasters today, and they work flawlessly (once you've found the Sky STB's sweet spot)! Shame they wont be set up properly for a while, until I get the false wall built which is going to be some time off.

I'll take some pics (maybe tomorrow) of my temporary set up until the false wall is built.

29. Bushman

Bushman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Your style seems similar to mine. Thats the kind of sofa i want. I love laying on the sofa all day watching tele and a big couch like that is perfect. One question is it comfy, obviously not as comfy as the lazy boy. Also great idea with the LED lights under the bed i've seen it done around the tv and false wall etc.

I'm currently in a temp rented 1 bed flat which was meant to last me 6 months. The lease ended June 2013 and after then buy my own place which i've been saving for a long time now, im still here after missing out on the perfect house and nothing compares to it. So pictures and threads like this makes me anxious, annoyed and excited that I haven't got my own place yet but gives me tons of ideas.

30. moraybank

moraybank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Yeah it's comfy, I lay on the chaise end all the time, don't sit anywhere else.

This house we went for because it's the type of house my gf always wanted to settle down in (converted steadings) and it looked great in pics and viewings. However the truth when you move in is another story, there has been a definite lack of maintenance on the place.

* First night we spent in I heard a dripping right above the TV. Turned out water was dripping onto the plasterboard from the roof due to missing slate tiles. Got that fixed quickly (and cheaply too)
    * RCD was intermittently tripping, sometimes multiple times per day, we just could not figure out what was causing it going through all the usual processes of elimination. Before things got expensive I decided to replace the RCD with RCBO's to try and find out which circuit was causing the trips. That was months ago and there has been not a single trip, so possibly faulty RCD or earth leakage was accumulating over a number of circuits. Again this was fixed cheaply.
    * After a period of bad weather a few weeks ago I heard dripping in the living room again, some plasterboard was saturated, so ripped it down and it was black, a problem that has been there a long time (it was masked by blinds). So looks like water is penetrating through the pointing. Been killing the moss on the wall, once the better weather arrives I'll cover it with water repellant. If that doesn't work probably need to redo the pointing :(
    * Wet patch in garden, likely a problem with the soakaway, which is going to end up being very costly to remedy.
    * Bad condensation on area of my garage roof. Curing this with Celotex and expanding foam this week.
    * Water leaking from upstairs shower to lobby. Seal on the thermostatic valve is gone. So new shower room going in next April, converting it to a wet room as it's extremely limited with space and height. It's going to have a rainfall shower head above which you can just about see in the mockup. Colour wise it will not be the same as the mockup, more likely Black or charcoal.

[​IMG]

Because of the water leaking we have an insurance claim in progress, which means a massive portion of the house (kitchen-lobby-upstairs lobby) gets re-done, some new plasterboard, fresh paint, new flooring.

I have moments where I just want to say f-ck it and sell up, but then I think Id struggle to find anywhere else with the same space, with the same views for the same money.