Question Home Cinema - Amp + Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jimsohal, Jul 13, 2015.

1. jimsohal

jimsohal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a bit of advice for a first time home cinema audio set-up. I would like to mainly use it for TV/Movies as well as music playback so Bluetooth is a must for me. As I will be using it for music I was thinking of a 7.2 Amp with a 5.1 speaker package and 2 x bookshelf speakers, any advice as to whether that's a good idea? or should I be setting up differently? I'm looking to spend up to £500 so if anyone can recommend anything pls let me know.
    Thanks!!

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    You do not have a massive budget so why not go for an AVR and then a pair of standmount speakers. Then add the other speakers as funds allow?
    This will give you a much better system. How did you plan to wire a 5.1 package and the 2 standmount speakers? Better to build the system around a pair of standmounts from the start.
    Also what will the music be stored on? Most AVRs have wifi built in so easy to stream across that way more than Bluetooth which is not great in terms of sound quality anyway.

3. jimsohal

jimsohal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, was planning to use the standmount's as additional rear's actually as i don't have too much space around the TV, do you think that's a bad idea? Music would be played from either phone or PC, so yep good tip ill look for an AVR with built in wifi.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    You really want all the speakers in a surround sound system to be the same make and model. Also if put at rear then these do not have much signal. How would you plan to play music through them? In stereo mode the front L/R speakers are power and not the rears?
    Also how much space do you have the rear of the seating? If not much then better to stick to 5.1 anyway.

5. jimsohal

jimsohal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should I also look for the same brand AVR, or is it that just recommended for speakers? I'd be looking to play music over bluetooth/wifi using phone or PC. Sorry for a silly question but what does it mean when you say the fronts are power? At the rear seating one side has plenty of space but the other is a little limited. Hmm maybe sticking with a 5.1 will be the best idea here.

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Must have been tired and mistyped. What I meant was that in stereo mode the front L/R would be the only speakers that would be used/powered. So putting the standmounts at the rear would not help with music. All the speakers (except the sub) ideally want to be the same make and model but no need to have the same make of AVR (or sub).
    A room layout with intended position of your speakers may help people to make recommendations.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
    Is this a 'one time' purchase or something you could add to over time?

Spending your £500 budget on a decent 2-Channel system will deliver good quality Music playback and a more than acceptable Movie/TV experience!

Spending your £500 budget on an entry level AVR + 5.1 speaker system will deliver an OK Movie/TV experience but not so great Music experience.

Spending your £500 budget on an entry level AVR + 7.1 speaker system will deliver a lesser Movie/TV experience as you are simply diluting the budget.

You could start out with a 2.0 system built around a 5.1 AVR and add in the additional Speakers and a Sub as and when budget allows.

If going 5.1 you want a 5.1 speaker system which suits your room/room layout, you would use a matched set of speakers for the 5.0, the 0.1 (Sub) can be the same or a different brand.

Joe

8. jimsohal

jimsohal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks @PSM1
    Hi Joe, I could add to it over time I guess, but I'm still unsure about starting with a 2.0 due to the limited space I have around the TV, I think starting with a 5.1 may make most sense as it will give me the option to buy a set with smaller fronts that would suit the setup.
    Any thoughts on coupling a Pioneer VSX924 (£249 @ RicherSounds) with Wharfedale DX1 HCP (£249 @Superfi)?

9. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    The Pioneer and Wharfedale speakers should work well together although the receiver really deserves much better speakers to get the best from it.
    I hear what you say about space at the front so you could go for a sub and pair of front speakers to start and then get the others as funds allow. Something like the B&W M1s with a BK Electronics sub would give a great sound to start with and fit in your limited space. It will sound much better than a budget 5.1 set.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,575
  11. masopa

masopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I'm afraid that our ears are good at picking up distortion and out of phase / poorly controlled imaging.

The less you spend on each channel, the more likely you'll be to suffer from some or all of these.

So, spending £500 on two channels means you have an ok budget for decent quality reproduction on each. Imagine spending the same across 7 channels and suddenly you're looking at £70 per channel, all in - we're basically looking at good quality PC sound really.

IMO the worst thing you can do it buy poor quality new kit you end up replacing fairly quickly. With a limited budget, I'd find an older setup you can add to, ideally all second hand.

I'd be inclined to look at 2012 kit which received good reviews as a package (not all by the same manufacturer - only the speakers have to be same brand and ideally model range) for maybe £1k which you could buy today for half that...

Just my 2p

12. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +726
    If you are able to get finance then you could use your budget to bring your monthly payments down to approximately £20 per month over a 36 month period when spending £1k.

Of course it would be "subject to status" and "you wishing to take this option as you know your own finances".

At this budget though, it would open a lot more systems to you, enabling you to own a home cinema system can offer good quality cinema and hifi sounds alike.

Regards, Shane.