• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home Cinema Amp & speakers only

sclg

Standard Member
I need a sound system to do 2 things...
- Provide better sound from the TV
- Provide sound for a small PC feeding iPlayer, etc to the TV
Don't need DVD, Blu-Ray, etc so I'm just after amp and speakers (5.1)
I'm not an audiophile so the budget is an absolute max of £250.

Not sure how to handle connectivity. The TV has 2 HDMI one of which is taken up by the Sky box. Could use the other for the sound system but then I guess I'd have to feed the PC video signal in somewhere else. (TV has VGA connection so maybe there??)

Any advice appreciated and especially any suggestions for the sound system.
Thanks
Steve

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Sony HT-IS100 or Onkyo HTS3305 are about the cheapest. There are a few bargains around with 2009/2010 amps on sale for a discount but a separate speaker package is going to set you back £200 anyway unless you bag a second hand bargain.

If your PC doesn't have HD audio, then you could simply use the amp/receiver for audio only, so connect both Sky+HD and PC straight to the TV via HDMI and separately to the amp/receiver via audio. The Sky+HD box has to use a separate digital audio cable anyway. The latest boxes have both digi-coax and optical out.

Or, you route both via the amp/receiver and use it as an HDMI switch.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom