Home Cinema (all-in-one) system for £250-£300

mcji6rc3

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

Recently got rid of my Hi-Fi separates system and want to replace with a fairly compact home cinema set-up (hence an all-in-one makes sense).

My requirements are:-
Budget of £250-£300
Prefer black to match Toshiba 37X3030D & Humax PVR-9200TB
Dolby 5.1
Upscaling to 1080
Not sure on small or tallboy speakers, though would prefer to be reasonably 'discrete'

I have searched the forum extensively and though there is loads of useful info, I am struggling to find out what system would best match my TV and Humax (in terms of audio quality, connectability and future proofing as may buy a Bluray player at a later date).

I was hoping to get a Toshiba system to minimise the number of remote controls needed, but they don't seem to have much of a home cinema range.

Then started to consider an EP30 with separate audio system but it looks as though they are impossible to come by these days.

Any recommendations very gratefully accepted.
:)

Hi mcji6rc3

I am fairly new to the forum, however I have recently posted something very similar to yours and have since bought the Sony HTSS-1300 (which is the satellite speaker version, the HTSF-1300 is the tallboy version). This is about £250 - £300 depending on where you get it from.

It seems to meet your requirements and I have set mine up and extensively tested it over the last couple of days and I am extremely impressed. It has plenty of inputs (3 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out) and is dead easy to set up. It looks very sleek and for the money I couldn't have wished for a better system.

**EDIT**
Just for your information I also was migrating for a separates system and was a bit cautious that it would not sound as good, but the quality of these speakers/amps is impressive and I was not disappointed.

Hope this helps and you can find more info on the system on this forum, but it is highly recommended and within your price range.

When you say you want upscaling do you mean you want a dvd player included or a receiver that will upscale if you connect up a dvd player you already have?

Hi mcji6rc3

I am fairly new to the forum, however I have recently posted something very similar to yours and have since bought the Sony HTSS-1300 (which is the satellite speaker version, the HTSF-1300 is the tallboy version). This is about £250 - £300 depending on where you get it from.

It seems to meet your requirements and I have set mine up and extensively tested it over the last couple of days and I am extremely impressed. It has plenty of inputs (3 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out) and is dead easy to set up. It looks very sleek and for the money I couldn't have wished for a better system.

**EDIT**
Just for your information I also was migrating for a separates system and was a bit cautious that it would not sound as good, but the quality of these speakers/amps is impressive and I was not disappointed.

Hope this helps and you can find more info on the system on this forum, but it is highly recommended and within your price range.

Thanks DaveyG. Will look into this system. I recall reading something about it. Hope you continue to enjoy your set-up.

When you say you want upscaling do you mean you want a dvd player included or a receiver that will upscale if you connect up a dvd player you already have?

Colspark - thanks for the response. I am interested in an all-in-one system with integrated DVD player. Failing that though, if there is a better system with separate DVD and amp that is within budget I am happy to consider. My current DVD player is quite old and desperately needs upgrading.

Grateful for any tips you have.

Well as daveyg said, that system will certainly do what you want, especially if you get blu ray / ps3 in future. It'll also take input from sky+ / skyhd... It doesn't include an upscaling dvd player, and i don't think it will upscale if you feed it a standard def dvd source, but perhaps you can pick up an upscaling dvd player for a reasonable price separately, or take the plunge and get that blu ray player! :)

I note that the Sony is a passive sub, how does it sound? Is there any control over the Sub level on the main unit?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom