Home cinema advice/ Build

MrJB1986

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon Everyone,

Im new to the forums so wanted to reach out for some advice. My partner recently has expressed the desire to convert one of our spare bedrooms into a cinema room. She's been having a bit of a tough time of it lately (Nurse at the local hospital) so I thought id crack to it and get it done.

Our house is a bungalow with a loft conversion. First floor has basically two bedrooms this is the 2nd bedroom.

My partners birthday is this week so I've rather jumped the gun on things, rather than come here first which I appreciate I should have done.. I've bought - Denon AVC-3700H as my amp, then a bunch of Q Accoustic speakers - 3050i floorstands as fronts, 3020i rears, 3090i centre and QB12 sub.

I was planning on running a 5.1.4 build and I have bought 4 x Q Accoustic Qi65c to do this.

After doing some reading on here im not sure how well this will work. Ive held off getting a screen until Ive got the projector set up, but anticipate going for a 100" Pull down screen to go at the end of the room (recommendations gratey received). I dont plan on relocating the radiator (see picture). I read an article on here about bloc blinds (i think theyre called) so will be buying for both windows.

Originally the other half wanted a double row seating setup but i dont think it works. Instead im looking into a corner / ushaped couch - ideas budget around £1k i guess.

The biggest factor i suspect is the vaulted ceiling - this means a 100" Screen will sit around 30cm off the top of the ceiling and also limit atmos placement?

I read a couple of posts and people had advocated a 7.1.2 setup as opposed to a 5.1.4 set up in similar spaces. I guess i could use two of my in ceiling as in wall?

I have fairly good access to the ceiling void as there are crawl spaces either side of the walls and access to the majority of the ceiling. I will be running speaker wires myself.

I intend on painting the walls and ceiling a very dark matt green. Carpets probably to be replaced at a later date when we do the rest of the house (we have an 8 month old puppy who currently trashes the place).

Really after any pointers you may have particularly re: 5.1.4 vs 7.1.2 and speaker placement. Below is a photo and plan of the room.

Thanks in advance, i appreciate you get dozens of similar requests.

IMG_20210126_133105.jpg
Plan 2021-01-26 133132_export.jpg

Go for the 4 atmos, I feel this works Very well. It’s the layout I have 👍 that looks a great space, looking forward to the development photos 👍 I can’t say much about screens as I only bought one.... I went for fixed frame to get the taughtness uniform. A simple white screen, no gain. I read so many conflicting reports on positive gain and grey that white seemed the sensible choice. Works a treat 😎 I think I would hang the screen over the window, keeping the recess to the right and use for kit and storage.

Go for the 4 atmos, I feel this works Very well. It’s the layout I have 👍 that looks a great space, looking forward to the development photos 👍 I can’t say much about screens as I only bought one.... I went for fixed frame to get the taughtness uniform. A simple white screen, no gain. I read so many conflicting reports on positive gain and grey that white seemed the sensible choice. Works a treat 😎 I think I would hang the screen over the window, keeping the recess to the right and use for kit and storage.
Thanks for the reply @Lensman5d really appreciate your input.

The seating has become rather contentious for us. My other half is insistent on squeezing a 4 seater into the cinema room (she perceives us having friends over all the time to use it). So we've now completely changed the plan.. Meet the new room (below). Excuse the mess - the whole house is being refurbed at the mo (joys of buying a house which has had no real money spent for 20 years).

This solves a few other issues - we will now fit a fixed screen to the right hand wall. This also gives us the space to fit in a four seater cinema seat with a 2.75m viewing distance leaving 1m from rear wall. We're 90% on going for a row of 4 of the cheaper octane seats. The OH was also concerned about out dog going up and down the stairs.

Room is basically a 4m x 4m square (plus bay). Next to my office the otherside is a guest ensuite, when the loft conversion was done, they didnt do the space above this room (the roof trusses run perpendicular) so easy access for atmos and less likely to create an issue.

Projector arrives today so the weekend will be spent clearing this room sanding back the walls and mistcoating - bath will hopefully be in the new bathroom in the next couple fo weeks as its the last bathroom for the plumbers to do.

Thanks again for your advice. Will post some more photos as it progresses.

Attachments

• 16118270282022300767687578454978.jpg
    16118270282022300767687578454978.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 92
Thought id post a little update... So the process so far has been rather painful. The wallpaper was stripped from the walls. 3 of the 4 walls needed scraping back to bare plaster and then re misting. After starting paintint it was clear the 4th wall (which was never papered) was equally as poor so another 3 or so evenings scraping old paint off. Just some final edging to do to the coving and then touching up the ceiling where my dirty hands have touched around the projector.

Atmos speakers are now installed.

My cinema seats arrived in about 3 days from octane, but still waiting on Amp and speakers from Peter Tyson (ordered on 23rd Jan but out of stock at that time). Replacement black plug sockets/light switch ordered but still not arrived. Also need to still order curtains and probably a blackout blind for the whole bay. Im also resigned to ordering a new black radiator, we have plumbers replacing bathrooms at the mo so should be quite straight forward.

Projector and new ceiling light here to be installed, hopefully this evening. Skirts and door to be painted black. My 112" Screen arrived in good time and waiting for the room to be a little clearer before i even think about putting it up
IMG_20210209_122552.jpg

Thought i would post an update on the build. Had some fairly rapid progress early on but encountered a few issues - carpet was fitted this week and seats now back in place. Only slight frustration is my sub still hasn't arrived from Peter Tyson - over two months since ordering, speaker system took a month and only get updates when I chase them - then get vague responses - to be fair this may be all they get from suppliers. I think I've just been unlucky but dont think I could use them again.

Thanks all for the help and advice and tips on the forum. We're super pleased with the results. Cheers all!
IMG_20210325_204340.jpg

IMG_20210325_204237.jpg

Wolfhound?

I think the dealers are having a hard time with supplies Covid, Brexit and now ships trying to do U turns in the Suez Canal is going to maybe push things back even further.

Great room well done.

Cheers - yeah hes a Wolfhound - 10 months old and already weighs 65kg - 10 stone!

Really pleased with the room just a case of trying to make good use of it. Still its a better use of the room than its old use which was just a spare room we would never use.

great room buddy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom