1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema advice : Which speakers to go for ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rookie_wookie, Dec 19, 2004.

1. rookie_wookie

rookie_wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a newbie on the home cinema scene, and have decided to take the plunge into building (?) my own system. However, as expected, I am completely confused about what to buy, and was hoping I'd could get some tips on what to go for.

My budget is ~ 650-700£, including the speakers and receiver but excluding the TV ( I have a sony 28" widescreen). The room is 15 feet * 11 feet, with glass french windows right behind the TV (and therefore the future front and center speakers - Will this affect the sound ?).

I listen to lots of music CD's, ranging from Pink Floyd to Indian classical, so the front speakers must be good for music reproduction.

The hifistore has a Mission M34 package (consisting of M34 fronts, m34 - m3C2 center and m3DS rears) for £465, and I was thinking of picking up a Sony STR-DB790 AV receiver for 236.84£ from QED.

What do you guys think ? Is this a good setup, or should I look at other systems ? Any suggestions and comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

A very confused Wookie

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

The setup you suggested sounds good. Are you looking for floorstanders or sub/set systems?

If music is important to you then the Sony amp would be a good start. Also think about the Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP range which retails for £500!

3. rookie_wookie

rookie_wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tejstar.

What's the difference between sub/set systems and floor-standers ? From what I've read so far, I get the impression that floor-standers are better for listening to music than bookshelf speakers and satellites. However, this is coming from a guy who previously thought that Bose was the ultimate in hi-fi audio, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, do I need a sub-woofer for a room of that size ? If I have to go for a sub-woofer, I'd probably go for the M33 floor-standers, since I'd have to fit a sub-woofer into the buget too. ANy suggestions on which one should I go for, BTW ?

thanks for the tip on the Wharfedale. I'll add that to my list. :)

Wookie

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    A sub/sat system is one where you have satellites as your front l&r and rear l&r with the sub used to handle the lower frequencies.

Floorstanders have larger cabinets which are roughly >80cm high and sit on the floor (hence the name).

There are advantages & disadvantages to both.

Sub/sats have smaller footprints but can be quite weak and often aren’t great with music. Whilst floorstanders will often be quite bulky but offer you a better soundstage (especially with music).

As to which you choose is often a personal choice, depends on budget, space etc.

If you went for floorstanders then a subwoofer wouldn’t be necessary but you should get one as it does it make a difference. You would get a benefit even in a room your size! Although you could always add one when you have the money.

The package you mentioned is very good value for money, if you are looking for sub/sats then look at the mission m30s as they are also good. See here

5. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I have Mission speakers at the moment and rate them very highly.
    I have these hooked up to a Marantz SR5400OSE and the quality is first class.
    I understand that the Marantz is particularly good "musically".
    Peter Tyson were selling these amps at 299.00 if I remember correctly, bear in mind that this is for the OSE version which has slightly better internals than the standard amp. This price is cheaper than a lot of other outlets are selling the standard amp for.
    Hope this helps.
    Rob

6. rookie_wookie

rookie_wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips
    One more question though..

Would I be better off buying a set of floor-standing speakers which are priced lower than a pair of bookshelfs (price difference being ~50£)? I mean, which set of speakers will give me the best sound for music?

Thanks,

A not so confused wookie

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The floorstanders will give you a better lower range, however if you've got a sub the difference is less pronounced!

8. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
  9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Floor standers do not necessarily give you you more bass and when they do the bass isn't necessarily of better quality. They can be more difficult to position than standmounted speakers and costs more to manufacture so a set of floorstanders that cost £50 less than a pair of standmounts should be of inferior quality, all other things being equal.

You would have to factor in a pair of stands though, that would negate the financial difference.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    These are great value and not bad performers too. Consider the Mission M30 cinema in the same price range too!

11. rookie_wookie

rookie_wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have finally decided, and ordered the M33 speaker system from Mission and the Sony STR DB-785 receiver. Hope they arrive before Christmas. Will post on this thread once I set them up and listen to them. thanks for all the tips and advice. The sort of feedback I have got here really helped me decide what to go for. Atleast now, I am sure of what I am buying.

Cheers,
    A satisfied Wookie ;)

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    That's great - let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

13. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44

These are the same as my Marantz speakers, they are made by MS for Marantz and are very good for the money.

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Value for money is the key word here!

15. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anybody know what the Marantz system is called, cost and suppliers please ?

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Is it the Mordaunt-Short Avant Premiere? The Premiere plus is around £480. Click here.

17. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  18. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Sevenoaks are very good for demoing products and offer great customer service!

19. killabeez

killabeez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Glad that was cleared up, read > demod < as demodding, and wondered what the heck you ment by that,, :blush:

Prolly go with the MS range but just have to wait till my local ( lancashire ) suppliers get the vanadium subs in stock, after the new year i,ve been promised, we shall see.
    Also trying to get Preston Richer sounds to price match hificonfidentials offer of just under £400 for the package :clap:

20. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    :oops: I'll try to be clearer next time!

21. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    oops sorry m8

My spelling is not so good

22. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I believe that Marantz speaker package was developed for the Marantz Hollywood range of all in one systems, might be able to get a good deal on the entire package, supposed to be good.

Another system to look for would be the Denon DHT500, excellent all in one if you are thinking of building an entire system, can be had for around the £400 mark too.

23. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    yes the speaker system was designed for the hollywood package, but marantz are selling it as speaker package also, as are MS.
    It is a good set, well balanced and clear for the money .

24. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I heard these speakers recently and was quite impressed at how good they sounded for an all-in-one. It did wobble at high volumes though, but the sub was surprisingly fast. This system has won numerous awards so the critics seem to love it too. But isn't there a newer version out, the DHT550?

25. rookie_wookie

rookie_wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I got the speakers yesterday from Hifistore (excellent service btw, very fast, and very very nice. Got my speakers within 4 days of placing the order, and they replied to my e-mails within a few hours!).

So far, I have managed to hook up the front speakers to my receiver, but I seem to be having a queer problem. The receiver (Sony STR DB 795) makes no buzzing noise which other people in the forum experienced, I guess I am lucky there.

Anyway, for the speakers, I connected the two front speakers (Mission M33, floor standing) to the reciever, and this is where things get queer. When I plug in the analog connections (2 phono, both ends) from the DVD to the receiver phono inputs, I get clear, beautiful sound from the speakers, well spaced, (even though I haven't yet begun positioning the speakers)..anyway, when I switch to digital co-axial for the input mode, all I get is lot of noise, and the sound from the CD/DVD is there, but at very low levels. What am I doing wrong ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Wookie :thumbsup:

26. rookie_wookie

rookie_wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Solved the problem on my own..I had to set the DVD to digital out, which I did not do.

Anyway, will set it up proper and post again.

Cheers
    Wookie :blush:

27. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Looking forward to your thoughts :smashin: