• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Home Cinema Advice - Sony or Onkyo

Boro22

Okay, I am looking for a 5.1 system to match up with my Sony TV, Sony Blueray, Xbox 360 and Sky HD+.

Currently, for audio, I have a Sony Cabinet stand which has 5.1 built it (sorry, cannot remember the model number) Anyway, this stand does obviously improve the sound over standard, however it does not give the bass I am looking for, nor does it provide geninue surround sound.

Therefore, I am now looking for a 5.1 system.

Two options:
1) Found this Sony - Sony HTAS5 5.1 Channel Satellite Speaker Surround Sound: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

2) Go for a dedicated seperates system and speaker package. Was thinking of this pairing:
Onkyo TX-NR609
Boston Acoustics Soundware Xs

Okay, obviously a massive difference in price here, but what would get better pound-for-pound for value?

I am tempted by the Sony, but I heard alot of good things about seperates system and heard this is the way forword for someone who is very keen on the quality of audio.

In addition to the question above, will I be able to hear the difference between the two systems above when I watch: Sky HD (e.g movies, sports), Xbox 360 and Blu Ray.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

davepuma

Distinguished Member
In addition to the question above, will I be able to hear the difference between the two systems above when I watch: Sky HD (e.g movies, sports), Xbox 360 and Blu Ray.

Go for separates.

As for the above comment. We don't have your ears. Visit a dealer and demo!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom