1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema advice pls!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by backtothefuture, Aug 14, 2002.

1. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys , I'm a nOOb to all this home-cinema stuff (though I do love watching movies!) ..

right now I got a Toshiba 28 WS tv and a Samsung DVD-511 (region free) which I got free with it a couple of years ago from this comany intersaver.co.uk (which went bust soon after these promotions as some of you may recall) ...

I'm now looking to build/acquire a budget 5.1 speaker/amp system and have an absolute MAX of £500 to play with . Hence I'd be looking for value for money and a decent system that I could enjoy 5.1 with for at least a couple of years before I go towards mid/high range.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

Naveed

:D

PS what do you guys think of the Videologic DTS system ?
    and this ?

2. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mission cinema 6 pack and they have had 4 star reviews in what hi fi i picked them up for 199.99 that would leave you 300 pounds to get an amp with. Richer sounds would be the place to try as you should get a decent amp for that money I have a sony str475 which I find ok but not had very good reviews I don't mind too much, The Yamaha? amps are getting good reviews the other thing to try is the AEG all in one system which What Hi Fi magazine rave about. Buy this months issue and they have an excellent buyers guide, Hope this helps Phil
    One other thing DTS is a must!!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Why

PL2 may be considered to be a must if you watch a lot of TV but as one eminent member is fond of saying "If you haven't got DTS just turn the bass up a bit and pretend"

4. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think i stareted a debate

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Restarted maybe as this old chestnut comes up every couple of weeks.

If you look at DVD Talk you will see that DTS is the best thing since sliced bread for many people but not every DTS soundtrack is as good or better than DD.

Some people will watch a film in DTS and then watch it again in DD to make a comparison but as I only ever watch a film once then put it away for at least six months I don't do that.

I will use DTS if it's on the disc and DD if not but it's not the be all and end all for me.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    It´s good to have the choice, though as I´ve mentioned before I´m sure DTS only up the LFE channel and the surround channels to give the impression it´s "better". DTS ES Discrete sounds great though.;)

7. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the help guys , i'll browse through suggested mags..

someone on this forum recommended the Videologic DTS system to me (about £400) but I couldn't find any reviews for it anywhere otherwise I would have got it .

also few ppl on this forum say that such 'home cinema' mags are not to be believed and there is more expertise to be found on the forum , rather than in the mags...

what do you think ?

:)

8. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I think I may have decided on the Yamaha VS-10

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +892
    Have to agree with that as you have people that are actually using the systems rather than a having a quick demo/review of them. There are also some members of this forum with a huge amount of technical knowledge that are very willing to help out others.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    But you have to be careful who's advice you take as some people give advice that they are not qualified to give (by experience).

Of the 7,750 members there are probably only a couple of dozen with the experience to offer all round advice.

Many have only heard their own system yet still recommend it to others despite the fact that there could be much better available for the money.

The mags aren't bad as long as you use their recommendations as a basis for a short list and not as gospel.

11. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't find any retailers for Yamaha-VS10 ...it was reviewed in July 01 , maybe outdated!

maybe I'll get a Videologic DTS or Yamaha Htib-45 package...which one would you guys recommend?

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The latter. My neighbour has the earlier version HTIB 40 and it is good value for money. It is also upgradeable as it is effectively an amp, sub and five speakers.

13. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear good things about Yammies as I said above

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To me DTS is another DSP chip, all you have to do is wack up your bass by 3db and then your surrounds by 2db and you got DTS, Digital Trick System.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You were, of course, the eminent member to whom I was referring.

16. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool...the Yamaha it is then!

:D

17. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what's ' DTS-ES Matrix 6.1 in phantom mode' as opposed to DTS ? ...or are they one and the same ?

18. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Extra rear channel with out the need for an extra speaker as it uses both rears to sound like you have it whereas dts 5.1 does not have the extra effect in the rear. Not heard the diffrence myself but I think if you can afford it it must be worth getting, although not many discs have it i think se7en and rush hour 2 do

19. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate...I think I'll place the order online now for the Yamaha system!

20. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok I ordered it!

anyone know where I can get stands for the front and wall brackets for the rear from ? prerably yamaha ones (if they have any) otherwise I am looking for slim and tall satellite stands (for the front)

21. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Alphason design satalite stands which are adjustable which is cool because you can set the front three more or less the same, don't know if they are the best there is I got them free through a bonus scheme at work but i think richer sounds do stands etc but as far as I know I don't think they have adjustable ones if thats your thing, as for brackets im stumped

22. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NOOOOO mate, you really shouldn't of got the Yamahas, ... Hehe only kidding enjoy it ! :clown: