1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home cinema. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Cyglore, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Cyglore

Cyglore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I live in Cyprus and I want to buy a complete home cimema for my parents. (TV, speakers etc). My budget is about 2000 Cy pounds. (and since prices are higher here, 2000 cy pounds will buy what 1800 pounds would buy in the UK).

For TV:
    I am not sure if i should buy them a 4:3 or a widescreen. They will watch about one DVD per day, and the rest will be regular (4:3) tv. Still, widescreen seems to be the way of the future.

I am considering the following projector TVs:
    Toshiba 50" 50Hz (50VJ23P)
    Toshiba 42" 50Hz Wide (42PW23P)
    Thomson 46" 100Hz (JH68E)
    Thomson 52" Wide 100Hz (RW87ES)

For DVD and sound i think it will be easier for my parents (over 60) to deal with only one machine, although I would consider separate parts if price/performance is much better.

What I am considering so far:
    Sony DAV-S880
    Pioneer DCS-505
    Pioneer NS-DV77
    JBL DSC500
    JVC TH-V70
    JVC TH-A9

Please give me an advice.
    Thanks.

P.S The more expensive TVs (52" wide etc) can be combined only with the cheaper home cinema solutions (e.g the pioneer ones) otherwise i will be way over my budget.

2. Cyglore

Cyglore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anybody?

3. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Cyglore

I live in cyprus as well and the way to go is progressive scan which hardly any salesman here know what that is!! I just recently bought the jvc 32d25 which has pro scan both ntsc and pal and that is the way to go it is a widescreen as well and getting delivery tomorrow as its just come out. I also bought a dvd player the q50 from hivizone.com in hong kong for 365 pounds including tax and transport and it is brilliant player on my tv a small one.

the jvc is quite good and has dolby digital decoder in it as well as woofer and I have order additional speakers for surround sound.

all this has cost me 1895 pounds, So I dont know if you would get much for 2000 pound! personally I didnt like the projection tv as it needs changing of the bulbs and maintenance of the bulbs also the pic quality isnt as good as a crt or plasma imo. Pioneer make a good all in one system for 395 pounds which is good value for cyprus.

good luck