Home cinema 10 - 20,000

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by warjam1945, Sep 9, 2007.

1. warjam1945

warjam1945

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

I have been looking at home cinema installations for months and the more i read the worse i get. I am construction a new house and i am having a dedicated home cinema room.

I will be spending about 10,000 to 20,000 not including construction because i will try and do most of that myself. I am wondering what would be the best setup. projector,screen, speakers and all others. I live in northern Ireland i was wondering if someone will give me some tips and help.

Thanks

2. BigNorm9

BigNorm9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Where to start, warjam?

Firstly, what are the dimensions of the room? That will help you decide on screen size first.

From this you can start to think what projector will fill this size of screen and what would be best suited to the light conditions in the room i.e. if there are windows there could be some ambient light. Room size will also help you decide how powerful an amp/receiver you will use.

The biggest problem you will face is a lack of good, varied demo facilities in Northern Ireland. I speak as a native of the province living on the mainland now. There are only 2 or 3 AV companies to deal with: Lyric Hi-Fi on the Lisburn Road in Belfast; Kronos Hi-Fi in Dungannon; and Flicks who are in Balloo Industrial Estate in Bangor. You would probably need to contact each to see what manufacturers they deal with and what demo facilities they offer.

However, you have a very good budget to play with and I have no doubt you'll end up with a stonking dedicated room at the end of it.

3. Isco 3

Isco 3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The fact that you are in the process of building is a good thing:)
    I would spend money to construct the correct room first, as it can't be upgraded later.
    A good sounding room can make an excellent home cinema experience possible, without spending an arm and a leg on equipment.
    A very expensive speaker cannot overcome the laws of physics and sound good in a bad room. Also a bad room can create problems that calibration can't fix.

If I were you, I would forget about the electronics for now, and focus on the room. You need a room with an NC below 20, correct viewing angles, correct speaker and subwoofer placement, the right acoustic treatment, etc.:smashin: