Home Choice

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Drunken Master, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Questions Questions!!

Does anyone subscribe to this system?

If so what's it like?

Is the ASDL line worth the extra £20?

2. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I have had the service since November, it started off like OnDigital at the begining - not very good customer service, problems with the box and no internet connection.
    Now on box 3 which works very well, they have also spedded up programme access which means you can get to your choice a lot quicker. The picture quality is called dvd quality in HE, this is not the case. It looks digital and not very natural (better than VHS though).
    The programme choice is immense and they have a lot of films which if you buy you get for the day and can watch as many times as you like in that 24 hours.
    Being able to watch whatever programme you want (from their collection) at any time, and being able to pause, fast forward, rewind etc is very convenient.
    The sound quality is good (I got Prologic from End of Days).
    The ADSL line is 112, no call charges for 20. I think it is worth it, I am not prepared to pay BT for their 500 and wouldn't really make use of it as just a general surfer, not downloading much (if anything). Rumour is that HC are going to offer the 500 option soon anyway (cheaper than BT).
    I think HC is still only available in London, Birmingham soon, I would recommend it.
    Hope the above helps.

3. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks very much I will be ordering soon!!! :cool:

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beware their Internet service. Appears to be run by school kids. Lost 1 weeks worth of email 3 months ago and despite assurance, the mail never appeared. Last year was appalling, crashing at least twice a month. No explanations.

You don't get a permanent IP address which may or may not be a problem for you, but means you can't host a site. Access is behind their firewall and does not work with VPNs (if you're considering teleworking)

If your serious about Internet access and looking for a reliable ISP who knows what they are doing look elsewhere (they only have a couple of servers). If you are an occassional internet who can suffer the odd outage, then HC could be for you.

m