home choice, connecting to DVD recorder and AV rcvr

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by dumbass, Jan 6, 2005.

1. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what's the best way of connecting up my home choice box to my dvd recorder and av receiver?!

short and sweet...!

thanks in advance

2. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    you don't really give much on what connections you have. i.e. how many scart sockets on back of TV, does your AV receiver have optical or digital co-ax or RCA's(phono) and since you don't this ain't goin to be short and sweet.

this is a guide for a tv with 2 scart sockets on it. if you only have one, then you're goin to have to buy a scart switcher or if ur a skin flint you can just switch and swap the 2 scart cables goin to your tv to wat u want when u use it. e.g. watchin the footy on homechoice, plug the scart cable into the tv from the homechoice box.

a scart cable from SCART TV OUT on home choice to AV1/L1/RGB1 SCART on back of TV

a rca cable or optical cable or digital co-ax cable from RCA OUT or OPTICAL OUT or DIGITAL CO-AX OUT from home choice to RCA IN/OPTICAL IN/DIGITAL CO-AX IN on AV receiver/amp.

a scart cable from SCART VCR OUT on home choice to AV2/L2/IN SCART on DVD recorder.

a rca cable or optical cable or digital co-ax cable from RCA OUT or OPTICAL OUT or DIGITAL CO-AX OUT from dvd recorder to RCA IN/OPTICAL IN/DIGITAL CO-AX IN on AV receiver/amp.

a scart cable from AV1/L1/RGB1 SCART on dvd recorder to AV2/L2/RGB2 on back of TV.

aerials

aerial from wall/freestanding aerial blue tacked to wall/watever it is into homechoice box IN, then from homechoice OUT or RF1 into the DVD RECORDER IN and from DVD RECORDER OUT into the TV.

thats it.

hope you understand it. if not, ask which bit.

jammy

3. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that mate - much appreciated.

I only have 2 scart cables at the minute, so will get hold of another one then get it sorted how you describe, then will let you know...!

The TV has plenty of scart connections so that's fine.

I currently have:

a scart cable from SCART TV OUT on home choice to AV1/L1/RGB1 SCART on back of TV

a scart cable from AV1/L1/RGB1 SCART on dvd recorder to AV2/L2/RGB2 on back of TV

a digital co-ax cable from DIGITAL CO-AX OUT from dvd recorder to DIGITAL CO-AX IN on AV receiver/amp

BUT as far as the aerial connections, I only have LINE IN - being used - then under ETHERNET, a NET and PC connection - this is going to my PC and provides my broadband. other than the two scart connections - which will both be in use according to your set up - I have no other connections. so the only spare is the 'NET' - so don't seem to have RF1 or 'homechoice OUT'??

4. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    can u take a picture of the back of the homechoice box? if yeh, that'd be helpful to look at to help you!

also, can u get tv channels tuned in on your DVD recorder? i.e 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. and then AV2/L2/RGB2 is used by the scart from homechoice to give u the channel u choose on the box and displayed scartwise that channel. if that makes sense?

if not, don't worry about co-ax aerial. you can see homechoice by scart on tv, you can record homechoice on to dvd by scart (when you get that third cable) and you can watch dvds by scart!

so all in all you're getting the best picture at all times. only prob is when homechoice is off, you don't get any picture on your tv as no aerial input!

try and take some pics, and post them on here!

jammy

5. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again! :)

We don't get any picture unless home choice is on as our standard aerial is, for want of a better word, '****ed', so we only ever watch TV using home choice.

SO... it sounds like I'll ignore the aerial stuff, connect up with scart as you describe, and we should be in business... will let you know.

For the record, connected up my PS2, too. But just did RGB into TV, and optical to the AV receiver. No problem.

Cheers again :smashin:

6. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    no worries bud. glad to help ye. just get that third scart and you'll be in business!

hehe

jammy

7. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "a rca cable or optical cable or digital co-ax cable from RCA OUT or OPTICAL OUT or DIGITAL CO-AX OUT from home choice to RCA IN/OPTICAL IN/DIGITAL CO-AX IN on AV receiver/amp."

there is no other outs from the home choice box - other than the two scart connections?

8. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    hmmmm, you sure u can't take a photo of the back of it?

plus the back of your TV.

and the back of your amp.

need to have a re think. it mite not be possible to have surround sound homechoice.

but if u have a good TV, it just mite ;) :D

come on, get the digi cam out!

jammy

9. calvinhobbes

calvinhobbes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The homechoice box has RGB scart out only.

Now, here's a dilemma. If you have an AV/receiver with upconversion like the Denon 2805, do you get an RGB Scart > composite + L/R speaker and then get the Denon to upscale the video and surround sound, or do you get an RGB to component cable in which case the Denon won't upscale?

10. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

had problems with home choice, but back on now.

so just to recap, I won't do surround with Home Choice, so to connect it all up I just do all of the stages above, but without the cable from the home choice to the receiver (the second of your stages) yes? just want to get the DVD recorder up and running with the home choice/telly etc... ta!

11. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Best to get a JS Technologies RGB Scart -> YUV (component) converter. This allows you to use the amp for switching and delivers the best possible picture qualities for all your gear.
    So you use your current scart to scart cable from the homechoice box to the JS converter, then you need a component to component cable plus a phono audio cable (L+R) these five ends you connect to your amp. From the amp you run a component cable to the TV. The DVD recorder you also hook up to the amp via component and then either connect the homechoice box and DVD recorder with their second scarts or you allow the recording to take place through the amp, but the first one is easier.

P.S. and if you still have a free component input in the amp, then get a PS2 component cable so you have the best possible connections.

12. kiwidave73

kiwidave73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone actually manage to get homechoice playing through their receiver?

I have just purchased a Yamaha 650 and have my dvd player (audio) plugged into the receiver. The video-out from the DVD is plugged directly into Homechoice (via scart).

I then have the other homechoice scart going to the TV (scart).

DVD's play really well through the receiver but at the moment i have to watch/listen to homechoice via the TV.

I am wondering if this is the optimal set-up? Any views/recommendations?

Cheers

13. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    back again...

have the scart connections all present and correct as listed above.

can see the DVD menu etc, but when I record I either get just noisy fuzz or a plain black screen depending on which line input i choose to record from. what's going on??

I have no aerial connected anywhere, as we just use the Home choice. is this the problem??

any help/potential ideas happily received.

cheers

14. JonnyG

JonnyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most the time I play DVDs using Progressive output through component cables to my projector but I would like to pass the HomeChoice TV signal though as well.

The Denon DHT500SD (DVD player with integrated AV amp) has two video in RCA channels (video + 2x phono). Output is S-Video (in my case).

I have tried connecting the SCART out on the HomeChoice box via a "SCART into 3xRCA" cable but the HC box did not like this. After a short while volume hummed and the image froze.

Has anyone come across this or knows what might be going on?