Home Charging Point Recommendations

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
My wife has ordered a Nissan Leaf. Surprisingly, they haven’t said anything about charging points whereas, all the other dealers we saw were pushing a particular maker that they were partnered up with.

So interested in your views. Any recommendations. What about tethered vs untethered?

Appreciate any advice you could offer.

Cheers,

Nigel

If it's tethered then you don't have to get a cable out of the boot every time you want to recharge. But you are "tethered" to that particular plug, which affected us when we swapped from a Type One to a Type Two vehicle. We could have had the cable swapped over but it's not cheap and as our existing charger wasn't smart we just opted for a new charger. Still tethered though, so either we are slow learners or we prefer it that way.
When we bought our Leaf 3 years ago it was very much up to us to sort the charger out, so no change there then. But MG were the same, perhaps because they were closing down for COVID on the day we picked it up.
We decided to go for Rolec, and were asked by them what car we had and where it was purchased from, which I assumed was to register the OLEC grant. Next I hear they were waiting for clearance from MG which seemed odd, then they confirm MG are paying for the installation :eek:
We just paid the excess for going for a 10m tethered lead over a 5m one.

If it's tethered then you don't have to get a cable out of the boot every time you want to recharge. But you are "tethered" to that particular plug, which affected us when we swapped from a Type One to a Type Two vehicle. We could have had the cable swapped over but it's not cheap and as our existing charger wasn't smart we just opted for a new charger. Still tethered though, so either we are slow learners or we prefer it that way.
When we bought our Leaf 3 years ago it was very much up to us to sort the charger out, so no change there then. But MG were the same, perhaps because they were closing down for COVID on the day we picked it up.
We decided to go for Rolec, and were asked by them what car we had and where it was purchased from, which I assumed was to register the OLEC grant. Next I hear they were waiting for clearance from MG which seemed odd, then they confirm MG are paying for the installation :eek:
We just paid the excess for going for a 10m tethered lead over a 5m one.

Not sure when you bought your MG but they are offering a free charging point at the moment.

Personally I like the idea of a tethered one as you say you don't have to faff around getting the cable out of the back of the car.

Cheers,

Nigel

Not sure when you bought your MG but they are offering a free charging point at the moment.
We ordered it in October, for delivery in Feb which became late March. No mention of a free charging point at those times. I think we lucked out :clap:

Last edited:
If it's tethered then you don't have to get a cable out of the boot every time you want to recharge.

You can just buy a second cable and leave it plugged in.

Obviously in some areas of the country there's the risk of theft, a charging cable is a fairly big lump of copper, which is probably the main argument for going for a tethered one if it's going somewhere publicly visible.

Rolec tethered has been fine for me since I got my Tesla.

Ignore lots of reports about them being poor quality and needing replaced - they are from 2-3 years ago and the internals of the Rolec have been upgraded since then

That's a relief :)

We have a cheap as chips dumb Rolec 7kw (Tethered) on the side of the house. Works fine no data recording or anything like that but pumps out a solid charge to the car and has not let us down in the 4.5 years+ its been there. (Getting a bit rusty on the top now)

Never suffered any of the burn outs people report of the RCB

r1.jpg

On the Front of the house we have another 7kw tethered Polar/Chargemaster unit that reports its data to a website so you can see what you have put in (But it seems to hopelessly overestimate) and it also uses about 25w on standby so we tend to keep it turned off now apart from odd time we need to charge 2 cars at same time.

Again no issues but the plastic is discolouring and its been there 3.5 years

p1.jpg

Unless you are after a particular style get what is cheap. But I would 100% get tethered as its a PITA lugging cable out from car when its raining or blowing a gale.

I went with Pod point tethered in the end. I really wanted Ohme to take advantage of its ability to link up with Octopus Agile and decide when is best to charge. However, since it would have to go on the front of the house aesthetics counts and its a bit ugly. If it was going inside a garage though I would have definitely got one instead of the pod point.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom