Home cctv set up, best dome cameras

Icemen

Novice Member
I'm looking for around 5-6 cameras in total, 3 at the front of the house and 3 at rear. And also a hard drive to store at least a weeks footage before it gets recorded over again. Also a app on android or apple to view cameras from anywhere in the world.
I want to purchase the hardware myself then get someone to install, which might work out a bit cheaper. I want the best picture quality cameras available on the market for daytime and night vision. Preferably dome, or colorvu but not the bullet type. Are 8mp the best?
Are hikvision the best for home security or is there any better?
How much will type of set up cost?
Also should i go direct wired or poe? I dont fancy wireless.
Any links where to buy genuine?
Ali express any good or is that too dodgy?
Thanks

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
A few things

direct wired and Poe are potentially the same thing , though totally correct about wireless
12mp is the the best at the moment
You won’t necessarily save money by buying yourself as installers calculate in a margin of the product plus they generally want to only install products they know, and ask yourself who is responsible for any issues that occur later

Avoid AliExpress in your case I think is best

much better solutions than hikvision but all at a price

your post is a strange mix of doing things on the cheap but wanting high quality , they very rarely work as a starting point both for install and for getting answers here

D

Deleted member 24354

There aren’t many installers who will let you purchase your own equipment then install it. It’s too great a risk if things don’t work. As a ballpark if you want Hik supplied, look at around £100 a camera, £300 - £400 for an 8 Ch NVR then 2 days install for 6 cameras which is likely to be £350 - £450 a day. Add another £150 for cabling, clips etc. So ballpark for 6 camera install £2100 depending on how difficult the cable runs are and how difficult access is.

Icemen

Novice Member
I see what you guys are saying about getting an installer to install equipment that they cant guarantee or familar with potentially.
Any suggestions on cameras for example budget, mid and high end range? And where does hik cameras fit in this league?
Thanks

D

Deleted member 24354

Without surveying the site it’s hard to recommend cameras.

Icemen

Novice Member
I was just thinking of those little dome type wall mounted cameras you see now on every other property? Pointing out onto the drive. One either side of property and one on top of the door. However, i wanted to get a feel of the better quality makes models so know what to ask for from installers and look out for when they recommend something.
Im just window shopping yet and doing my research as ive just updated my wifi so nothing in the near future yet with the cctv.

D

Deleted member 24354

Dome cameras are really losing favour for external use. Turret's are the goto for most domestic CCTV installers today.

D

Deleted member 24354

Again it depends on height, distance to target, angle of view, ambient light,%of picture change etc. It’s not really a one size fits all for CCTV cameras

Icemen

Novice Member
So there isnt like a top 3 turret cameras for home cctv. Best picture for day and night vision?
They will be fitted about 3 metres from the ground. Like by the front porch/bay window roof. 5-7 metres to target view.
Like the hik camera i attached above. This type of camera im looking for. This is the only make I've heard of but I want to know what the better cameras out there
Thanks

spile

Unless you are looking at High end Axis types the medium priced cameras come out of China with many rebranded. I use Amcrest which are rebranded Duaha.

Icemen

Novice Member
Thanks bud, this is what i wanted to do weight up my options. In the second post seb said there are a lot better options then hik but since then no one has given any ? I understand the better the camera the more you have to pay.

D

Deleted member 24354

Better is totally subjective. Bigger numbers does not necessarily equate to better. Again options are based on use requirements. I could specify Lillin or Avigilon which are a lot more expensive than Hikvision does that make them better? You could look at purely pro systems such as Bosch or Panasonic but they wont have any apps and are designed around monitoring stations. We cold look at PTZ or auto PTZ but they are expensive, facial tracking, ANPR, Biiometric identification, Machine learning, AI all of which are a function of cost. Do you want AI / Machine learning in the camera or the NVR or both? Do you want cloud storage, NVR/DVR hybrid, IP, Analogue, wireless, POE?. NVR with Raid or the ability to offload to a third party storage system. DO you want push notifications to an app, or SMS or email. Do you want the system to send you a snapshot to accompany the notification? Intrusion areas, line crossing, directional line crossing, people counting all are things you can specify. Do you want the NVR to integrate with: an alarm, an intercom, a smart doorbell?

All of the above are options, but none I would say is better unless you specifically need that. BTW all of the above are not the domain of super high end CCTV, they are all features that can be found on most middle of the road Prosumer systems, but different brands and models will do some features better than others.

I am not trying to be an ass here, I am trying to explain that what you need to do is tell us exactly what you want the system to do, maybe send us a plan of the house and garden and what your budget is and we can tell you what is out there. And there is lots.

From all of this you can then start to look at what cameras may fit your brief, 3,4,5 8 MP. What focal length 2mm, 2,8mm, 4mm, 6mm, 8mm. Do you want colour at night? How long do you want to record for before the system overwrites old recordings. How do you want to view your cameras, phone, PC / MAC, TV?

Any half decent CCTV installer will have considered all of the above in some shape or form and helped design a system to meet your needs. That is why you are unlikely to find an installer that will let you buy the gear then get them to install. The system needs some level of design that the installer is happy with .

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom