• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Home Automation where to start?

Antexter

Standard Member
So basically I'm a huge fan of automating the home, currently though funds are limited.

What I'm hoping to get is ideally a system I can customise easily, maybe even go to the extent of making a web interface for controlling lights etc as I am a web developer.

Now from what I have seen x10 seems a good place to start but am I able to make a web interface easily?
If so is their a alternative?

If not where do i start with x10 what should i buy what would you class as essential, personally I'm lost in what i should get 1st.

Thanks.

chrisatapple

Standard Member
Hi Antexter

I'm a little new to Home Automation too. There is a fair amount of stuff available. I'm not too sure about connection via PC/MAC etc. However, I know that CH Byrons Home Easy range can be controlled via SMS messages. They can be used to control lighting, heating, cooling etc.

Hope this helps.

Chris

eyepete

Automated Home - Home is probably a very good starting point from a novice pov. Their forums are full of helpful people who can advise on the most cost effective way to get started - as well as give you the low down on what's hot and what's not.

Pete

mikeinmk

Hi Antexter

I'm a little new to Home Automation too. There is a fair amount of stuff available. I'm not too sure about connection via PC/MAC etc. However, I know that CH Byrons Home Easy range can be controlled via SMS messages. They can be used to control lighting, heating, cooling etc.

Hope this helps.

Chris

I purchased some home easy kit and have had no end of problems. I had 2 PIR's that do not detect movement. I had several of the remote control sockets (the one you plug into the wall socket) and they appear to have a life of their own as I used to come home and kit connected to the plugs would be powered on.

I found that when you paired the device with the remote that other remotes that had not been paired could also control the socket. I live in a apartment, I think some neighbors had also purchased some home easy kit and we were controlling eachothers stuff.

I recommended home easy to a friend before my problems started and borrowed their remote. I confirmed I could randomly power on my non paired kit.

Happy I did not buy the remote contolled door lock! :eek:

Mike

whzan

Standard Member
Hi Antexter!

Check out www.whzan.com it is a new home automation service over the internet and is currently free! There are easy to follow 'getting started' videos, and a shop to help you find the kit you need for your requirments.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom