Home Automation...well network plus some AV!

W

woll

Hey all, can't actually remember if I have ever actually posted here before but if I did it would have been a year or 2 back. Anyway I'm after some advice.

We are completely renovating an old house and I would like to network it plus have some AV stuff going on (technically minded as you can see!) and maybe some lighting control.

Network
Basically I think I'll follow the network map provided by ntm1275 (thanks) that I found in another thread but do you guys think that getting a machine with Windows Home Server on would be better than using NAS?

AV
I would like to be able to control Sky box/DVD etc from most rooms. They'll be a TV in the kitchen, lounge, study, bedroom 1 and bedroom 2. Whats the best way of achieving this? Can I use Cat5e cable? I'd also want to be able to use a music system of some sort that has speakers throughout the house. Basically the whole AV bit of this project is confusing me as there are a lot of options and I'm not entirely sure whats best. If you guys know anyone near Winchester, Hampshire who could come take a look, give me some ideas and quote for the work, that would be ideal!

Lighting
Is this easily achievable...and worth it?

Thanks guys, know this is a pretty vague

Also if anyone can point me to any decent threads about this sort of stuff that would be wicked.

Cheers

beerhunter

Novice Member
For home automation I used to use a Residential Service Gateway to turn lights on and off. Still got some 230v ac kit laying around somewhere. I'll have a look to see how I did it in the next few days and get back.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom