Home Automation...well network plus some AV!

W

woll

Hey all, can't actually remember if I have ever actually posted here before but if I did it would have been a year or 2 back. Anyway I'm after some advice.

We are completely renovating an old house and I would like to network it plus have some AV stuff going on (technically minded as you can see!) and maybe some lighting control.

Network
Basically I think I'll follow the network map provided by ntm1275 (thanks) that I found in another thread but do you guys think that getting a machine with Windows Home Server on would be better than using NAS?

AV
I would like to be able to control Sky box/DVD etc from most rooms. They'll be a TV in the kitchen, lounge, study, bedroom 1 and bedroom 2. Whats the best way of achieving this? Can I use Cat5e cable? I'd also want to be able to use a music system of some sort that has speakers throughout the house. Basically the whole AV bit of this project is confusing me as there are a lot of options and I'm not entirely sure whats best. If you guys know anyone near Winchester, Hampshire who could come take a look, give me some ideas and quote for the work, that would be ideal!

Lighting
Is this easily achievable...and worth it?

Thanks guys, know this is a pretty vague

Also if anyone can point me to any decent threads about this sort of stuff that would be wicked.

Cheers

beerhunter

Novice Member
For home automation I used to use a Residential Service Gateway to turn lights on and off. Still got some 230v ac kit laying around somewhere. I'll have a look to see how I did it in the next few days and get back.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom