Home Automation for New Build Only?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Swans1912, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Swans1912

Swans1912

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is a fully fledged home automation system more applicable to those embarking on a new build or prepared to literally pull the walls apart? I've moved in to my 'forever home' and headed straight to the popular home automation sites but feeling deflated.

I'm reading through the Loxone & Control4 catalogues and debating if it is actually worthwhile. Irrelevant of brand they seem to require the same thing - extensive rewiring to maximise the value of any system.

Has anyone any experience of doing an extensive rewire? I've been considering a mix of products that allow an easier install (read:wife friendly) - LightwaveRF for example.... but that then loses the integrated solution that makes home automation attractive?

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Also look at Fibaro, and also consider that lightwaverf can be integrated with other control systems

Seb

3. tunneling

tunneling
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You really have to identify what systems you want to automate. Just about every system (e.g. temperature, security, lighting, etc.) comes in a wireless flavor. IMHO the first step is settling on a Controller (e.g. C4, RTI, etc.), then looking at which systems are compatible with that controller.

For my control system, I went with RTI. Then I did some low voltage rewiring in my home so I could add baluns and IR emitters to my televisions, surround sound speakers, outdoor speakers, etc. Choosing to drop new cabling or cut sheetrock really depends on the space. My house is mostly single level with a huge attic, so new wires are easy if you have the right tools. (fiberglass push rods, a magnepull, sheetrock saw, measuring tapes, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2015
  4. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    Your main weakness is pinging video and audio around which absolutely cannot be wireless so will need speaker wires and UTP cabling run about. But this needn't be THAT hard and with some small decoration after works you can retrofit quite a lot especially if you are open minded to potentially shifting the location of things ever so slightly to help get wires there. The control element and interfaces can all be wireless (remotes, touchscreens, tablets) and you can retrofit wireless lighting, blinds interfaces, thermostats and radiator TRVs etc