Home automation: BTicino, OpenWebNet, SCS bus

For VPN.. you may have a VPN server on your router or NAS already. then you just need the appropriate app on your phone to connect. You will need DDNS but I guess you have that already and some settings to configure. Not too much really.

I am running my VPN on a Raspberry Pi (30euro/pound or so) and use Open VPN connect app on my phone. To set the Pi up as VPN server go to link below and follow the simple guide. Most of the work is done for you with one command.

PiVPN: Simplest setup of OpenVPN

Hi, Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question? But...

I've got 6*F401 Rolling Shutter Actuators installed but can't get any of them to respond to controls from my MyHome 3.5" touch screen. I've also followed the configuration procedure by pressing the learn followed by the up button however all that happens is the relay clicks twice and then stops (blind does move but only by a couple of inches). It doesn't move blind up and then down and then up as described in the manual.

Lights controlled by MyHome work fine and I've checked all actuators for conflicting addresses but found none.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Sounds like the actuators maybe configured incorrectly. Have you checked the configuration in myhomesuite.

Manual here

In the manual it talks about a calibration procedure to be done and it will not work. But you still can drive the shutters directly on the actuator with the buttons.

Last edited:
I've checked the actuators in MyHome - and all other actuators (lighting) and I've tried both virtual and physical configurations.

As an update one of actuators has now started responding to commands from Touchscreen and atMyHome app (don't know why, maybe the fiddling did something) however I cannot calibrate the blinds using the procedure described - it simply doesn't work. I tried setting the type in the configurator firstly to manual (type=0) then to automatic (type=1). The calibration process say to press the learn button for 3 seconds, which I do followed by the up button. The blind should then go up and when it reaches fully open it either descends automatically (type=0) or you press the down button (type=1) to cause it to close.

However after pressing the up button after two clicks of the relay it stops and the configuration process ends.

Outside of the learn process each press of the up or down button only causes the relay to click once advancing the blinds about one 1cm in either direction. 100 clicks required to close the blinds!

I guess most here are not familiar with Home automation BUS systems. So.. some explanation follows:

BUS... basically every device is assigned a unique address. In my case the power for each light, blind and some sockets are controlled via BUS connected relays(actuators). A command is sent sent to an address down the BUS and the corresponding device responds accordingly. eg dim light to level x, switch on , switch off. etc. The system can know the state of each address eg on or off, and sensors can be added such as movement sensor, temperature in and out, light level, windy, rainy etc Then it is possible to construct something smart ... eg on event X, if Y is this, then do a,b,c,

By adding a 'brain' to the BUS some scenarios can be built
e.g.
  • Open blinds in stages at 7am.
  • Close blinds when its dark and turn some lights on
  • Close blinds on south side if room temperature more than 23°C
  • Open garage electric door only if the alarm is off
  • Set mood lighting for movie when Blue ray player is powered on.
  • Set mood lighting for dinner. Bring kitchen light down and dinner lights up slowly.
  • etc etc etc..
These scenarios can then be activated automatically and or from a normal switch,or IR controller, or dedicated scenario switches or LCD panels. Or activated remotely from a smart phone or web page.

Maybe you have heard of KNX? Often used commercially for lighting, blind, heating, access, music and video controls in hotels, businesses etc. KNX can be over complicated and expensive for home users.

For the home BTicino (Legrand is the parent company) have a simpler and cheaper BUS system than KNX; perhaps more suitable for beginners and home use. If its not installed from the start on a new build it can be integrated alongside traditional switches and uses a simple 2 wire bus cable and or RF control. Zigbee I think.

There are many 'gateways' and interfaces to connect to other systems and smart devices too. eg DALI dimmers

BUS systems for the home are not so well known (x10 anyone?) in the UK but a lot more common in Europe, Australia and many other countries. Mostly a trained electrician would install the system with the more tech minded users building and tweaking from there.

I hope that helps explain a bit about the chatter on the new threads I created. Some basic info from BTicino/Legrand is here too:

MyHome home automation system

General features pdf

Home automation - Legrand UK & Ireland

Approved installers - Legrand UK & Ireland

Last edited:
Thanks m4rky_m4rk. That's a great description and very informative.

What I'd really like to understand is about scenarios but I don't know where to find any information. I understand conceptually what they are but have no idea how to set them up nor what components are required in the system to allow them. (I have the F454 + F420 but is that sufficient?)

A guide to scenarios would be really helpful.

Hi I'm wondering if a software is available to control my domotic with my computer. (not to install but to turn on lights, up & down blinds, etc.... )
Is there also a Webradio that can be installed on MyHomeSerrver ?

Thx

Thanks m4rky_m4rk. That's a great description and very informative.

What I'd really like to understand is about scenarios but I don't know where to find any information. I understand conceptually what they are but have no idea how to set them up nor what components are required in the system to allow them. (I have the F454 + F420 but is that sufficient?)

F420 is the simple scenario controller. In combination with the 3680 wall mounted switch panel you set the F420 in learn mode for each button of the 3680 and you then go and turn things on and off, up down, dimmed etc as you want. F420 can learn up to 16 scenarios and just repeats the sequences it learnt in the learn mode. These scenarios then run when you press the button on the 3680 wall mounted switch. Its a bit basic and not really automated.

If you want to get more fancy then you will need the MH202. This sits in your distribution box connected to the BUS and LAN and you can program it with Myhomesuite software. So far for me, it seems to have more than enough capacity for home use. I have over 100 hundred scenarios. These can be programmed with conditional events and call other scenarios. They can run autonomously or with events that trigger them or activated via phone, standard BUS wall switch, LCD panel. eg Triggers could be a date, a hour, sunrise, sunset, IR command, phone app command, light on/off etc etc. They can also be stopped by other events. It can call up other scenarios including those on itself and F420. Its possible to build a quite complex set up. I had an F420 but removed it since the MH202 can do much more. T

User friendly information is hard to find. That's why a community of friendly users and installers is important. And so I am here trying to build some interest and chatter. I am only a beginner myself.

For others that maybe unfamiliar with this stuff but are interested, curious, I think its best to give the product name as well its model number, at least somewhere in the post. Not many will bother to find out what an F454 is.. Its a web server for controlling home automation remotely. I don't have one but for remote control I control everything with a phone app and VPN connection to the MH202 scenario controller. MH202 can can act as gateway but its not officially supported function. It works :)

I am hoping the Scenario thread I created could act as a sort of guide with contributions from experimenters, meddlers gratefully accepted :) Please post there for scenario stuff

There is other non BTicino activity else where too
e.g.
MyOmBox (control interface)
Openhab (brings many home automation systems together including MyHome BUS. Open source project)

Hopefully it will become possible, if not already, to integrate IFTT, Amazon echo, Google Home, Apple 'whatever' etc etc to command items on the MyHome BUS. Some guys that posted here are into that.

Ps if you find some useful information, links etc please post them in the appropriate thread.

Last edited:
Hi all,

another one from the old myopen-forum ("joftr" there) ... haven't really hung around there since they "downgraded" it.

Welcome joft

Question for anyone...... I was discussing the lack of home BUS systems in the UK and it was said that there is a law that prohibits data cables and power cables in the same conduit. Is that true?

Hi,

Is anyone using Google assistant to control the BTicino BUS via Harmony IR commands?

I have a an old Harmony which works well with BTicino IR receiver. I can activate various scenarios based on the IR button pressed. I do not have a Harmony hub but will soon get my hands on a Note 8, and so I was wondering its worth upgrading my old H1.

Hi everbody,

Anyone still active here?
Today i noticed that the driver manager F459 is available in middle europe as driver manager for NUVo. Does anyone know if it is useable to connect different weather stations as discussed a long time ago?

Hi Tom. Yes I am still active if there is something to respond to but I have almost given up on posting about this stuff here as there is so far hardly anyone else posting. Its really, really slow, so I guess the guys are either are not interested in coming over here or haven't seen the links I posted pointing here.

No idea about the F459 but would be interested in knowing more. I have my weather sensors and they work very well as limit switches.

I am slowly trying to set up my system Mark as you can see! I am working all day so difficult to try stuff. Do not give up I am going to support as much as I can! I don't see any alternative to Bticino forum and so far here I can friendly speaking about everything that is bticino related.

I moved this to here to keep the threads tidy

What about Bticino and Openhab/Home Assistant integration?

You got my curiosity piqued so I did a quick google to check for new developments

OpenHab looks interesting:
[BTicino/OpenWebNet] New Binding: BTicino / OpenWebNet 2.0 binding ready for testing

Bticino - Bindings - openHAB 2 - Empowering the Smart Home

Also some chatter for Home assistant:
Bticino MyHome?

And I thought it was dying but there is some some talk on the BTicino forum about MyOmBox .. LOL the same Tony is asking there too :)
MyOmBox + F454 - MyOpen

Would love to get IFTT or similiar working with MyHome, also voice control would be cool.

A comparison of the main platforms is here:
http://smarthomeblog.net/openhab-home-assistant-domoticz/

If there is enough interest in these platforms I will start a new thread for it????

Last edited:
I have took my BTicino BUS automation about as far as I can or want to go and was wondering what to play with next.

I have a spare Raspberry Pi.... so, what platform to try ..

OpenHab ... looks like it should work with BTicino MyHome.. Two bindings available.

Home Assistant .. work in progress for BTicino MyHome

Your opinions, experiences please...I think OpenHab is the one.

Is the MH202 OK as gateway for either?

For OpenHab....
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I think the MH202 it is fine to use as Gateway! I started to load Home Assistant and stopped then I started with OpenHab and I stopped! I am running out of time!

I think you can try both and see how to go with them!

Home Assistant looks quite good and for some of the application is really plug and play! I didn't load the plugin for Bticino yet! I stopped because it looks like not too much on Bticino

I started with OpenHab and so far not too bad. I have been reading a lot of stuff about it and looks promising. Loaded the first time! I am spending a bit of time in setting up the working environment!

So not too much to share at the moment!

Which binding are you using for openHab?

I tried last night with the new test binding. I put the jar file in the folder suggested for addons (/usr/share/openhab2/addons/) but there was no sign in inbox of BTicino after reboot of Pi. It was late and I gave up. Will check if the jar file permissions are OK tonight. If that fails then go back to standard addon install with the older binding... I think I should be using this one anyway..

I need some hand holding :) so maybe we can work through it together?

I did a search here for OpenHab and didn't see much talk. That's surprising as I thought the guys here would have been more interested in bringing all their home automation stuff together onto one platform and working with each other. I am noob with openhab so lets see how it goes :)

Last edited:
Update... if anyone is following... I got Openhab2 working with the openwebnetBUS using the latest binding. I tried the older binding too but didn't get it to work... I think that was becasue I am noob and didn't know what I was doing.

For a test I created a rule >>> Office light comes on when my phone connects to the LAN and goes off when it disconnects. To my surprise it worked :)

I had few small issues at first...
  • Be patient... I think I had had some connectivity issues that caused some frustration.
  • Connecting via samba to the relevant folders was easy and better than using FTP
  • Adding devices was easy through the GUI but creating rules requires editing a txt file..It looks scarier than it actually was in the end.
  • Use the log to see what if anything its doing.. http://openhabianpi:9001/

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom