Answered Home audio under $100

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Benny44, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Benny44

Benny44
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, it’s been a LONG time since I posted here. I’m looking for bargain basement audio for my apartment. My wife and I live in a little two-bedroom, and a quiet building (at 40, we’re among the youngest people here-no parties/loud music issues). So I’m not looking for something I can turn up unfortunately. Basically, my TV speakers are starting to go I think, and I’ve always wanted something a little better anyway. So, at $100, what should I get? Should a get a soundbar, or go for a little HTIB? Also-I’ve heard Walmart’s stuff, even if it’s a name I know, is not good. Not sure if that’s true or not.

I use it primarily for playing PS4 (racing and sports mostly if that matters) Just looking for clear sound, don’t really need a sub since it’ll most likely be turned off anyway :-(. One more note-I’m in Canada, so Monoprice is going to put me over budget with the possibility of paying $100 or more at the border. Thanks guys!

2. Best Answer:
    Post #6 by Joe Fernand, Nov 3, 2017 (1 points)
  3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Budget - is going to limit your options if you plan on buying New.

BestBuy CA have refurb Soundbars for sub $100.

Another option would be a Desktop PC audio system from the likes of Logitech - you will need to ensure they have connectivity options which suit your TV or PlayStation.

Joe

4. Benny44

Benny44
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve thought about PC, but our living room isn’t that small, so I was unsure how it would work. I checked out the refurb part of Best Buy, so thanks for the heads up on that. So, I guess my question is - is a refurb sound bar from Best Buy better than a new Samsung/LG from WalMart? They’re hovering around the $100-$120 mark for a lower end one. Alternatively, Amazon has a few small 5.1 systems from lesser known manufacturers.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Soundbar - I doubt there would be much to choose between the New and Refurb units in terms of sound.

Connectivity is usually very limited on the entry level units so possibly a Refurb unit would have more options.

I’d stick with fewer channels when you have such a tight budget.

Another option would be a second hand Hi-Fi Amp plus Speakers - again connectivity will be key, it’ll all depend on the audio Out the TV offers.

Joe

6. Benny44

Benny44
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe. I may have stumbled across my answer on Facebook. Someone is selling a Playstation sound bar for $25, so I may just go with that. The reviews aren’t tremendous, but with my budget all I want is passable. And it seems like it’s a definite upgrade on TV speakers.
    If I don’t get that, I started thinking my best bet may be to just wait until Black Friday and grab a $200-$300 sound bar within my budget.

So I guess my last question is - sound bar or small surround set? I’m thinking soundbar because of the simplicity, but I’m wondering is there much difference in quality? I know a good surround is the absolute best, but that’s not something I can think of right now

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,544
    Best Answer
    PS Soundbar - don’t know that unit.

Black Friday - personally I’d be grabbing a budget 2.0 or 2.1 system.

Room/Room Layout will dictate some of your options.

Joe