Home Audio Amplifier/Receiver - Schiit vs Marantz vs Harman/Kardon

AmsterDan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Dearest Audiolovers,

This rookie has gotten himself tangled up in some figurative audio cables. Your help, input and advice is highly appreciated.

My original plan was to setup a neat Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber station for my headphone self. But ... during a visit to a local salvation army place I impulsively picked up an old Realistic Lab-270 turntable. My girlfriend would love to listen to some records through speakers and so the story has changed. Now I'm looking at an integrated amp sporting a phono stage and DAC so that I can hook up my headphones (either a BeyerDynamics DT 331 or Grado SR80e) and setup some speakers for communal listening.

The big question(s):
- Is a setup like this possible with Schiit products? If so, what would it look like?
- If not, I have the choice between the Marantz PM6005 integrated amp or a Harman/Kardon 3770 receiver.

Possible problem:
- I'd like to play FLAC files from my Windows laptop through USB. The Marantz only has digital coaxial and TosLink ins ... how to go about this? H/K has bluetooth connectivity.

Another small question:
- There's a 'cat5' cable port on the H/K. Does that mean I can stream music from my laptop through the home network?

Argh. I'm getting overwhelmed with information, I'm not up to date on anything audio ... huge learning curve ahead of me. Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to see what you guys and gals come up with.

Can we ask where you are??? If so ... where in the world are you.

The H/K 3770 is a very impressive Receiver for what is a very modest amount of money.

It has 120w/ch to 8 ohms, DAC with 2xOptical/1xCoaxial/USB at High-Resolution 24b/192k, plus Bluetooth and Network Streaming of Audio (DLNA 1.5), Phono In, Sub Out. It says IOS compatible but doesn't not mention Apple Airplay.

HK 3770 | Stylish 2-channel Stereo Receiver with Bluetooth & USB

Also, you don't need a DAC for your headphones. If you have an amp, just plug the headphones into the amp.

Note, the USB connection is USB-Media, so you can plug in USB enabled Smart Phones and Thumb Drives. But probably not directly to a computer. But with Networking there really is no point in a direct mechanical connection to the computer. The USB port only supports MP3 and WMA.

An alternative would be the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver (80w/ch); depending on where you are, these are £340 in the UK and about $550 in the USA.

MusicCast R-N602 - Stereo Receivers - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

If you are in the USA, the Pioneer SX-N30 is virtually identical the the Yamaha RN602 and at a very similar price. The Pioneer SX-N30 is available in the UK/EU but it has a few less features than the USA version.

SX-N30 - Networked 2-channel stereo system for hi-res audio listening

If you are in the USA, check out B&H Photo for prices on these products.

The Marantz PM6005 (45w/ch) should be on reasonable discounts since Marantz has now released the PM6006 model. A nice quality amp, but you are taking a big drop in available features. To add Network and Internet Streaming to the Marantz is going to average about $500. Though if in the USA there are a couple of lower cost options. And in the UK there are also a few lower cost options. In the UK you should be able to get a good Streaming system for about £250 to £350.But then the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver with Streaming and everything else is only £340.

Schiitz Audio makes very good equipment but is going to be expensive and messy to try to create a system like the HarmanKardon/Yamaha/Pioneer.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

For DACs and Headphone amps, they are great, but for general Audio Amps they tend to be very minimalist.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Thanks for the elaborate reply! Schiit and the heaphone biased electronics I figured. I live in Canada by the way and will be looking into the Yamaha. How is Onkyo?

Thanks for the elaborate reply! Schiit and the heaphone biased electronics I figured. I live in Canada by the way and will be looking into the Yamaha. How is Onkyo?

I don't quite understand why, but Audio Electronics are exceptionally expensive in Canada, even for products that are developed in Canada.

I have two Onkyo Stereo Receivers, they are very clear amps, but a bit soft in the bass. I've no complaint with the two Receivers I have.

Onkyo does make a Network Receiver, I believe it was the TX8050, though they may have introduced a new model now.

Onkyo USA - Stereo Network Receiver - TX8050

Onkyo USA - Stereo Network Receiver - TC8060

These are high value products. I'm not sure how smooth the Streaming aspect and the App are, but perhaps you can check around on that.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Schiit Have the Ragnarock a really cool amp that does both headphones and speakers very well but it's relatively expensive (£1500?).

They do make noises that they have more 'two channel' products and amps in the pipeline...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom