1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Accounts Package

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by figoagogo, Sep 22, 2005.

1. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    I am looking for a package to help me view (and manage) my finances. I would like the package to be able to upload any online statements (e.g. CVS, Quicken etc).

I am confused on what product to buy, I read sometime ago that Microsoft Money was a total waste of space, Quicken seems the way fowards but it seems the product is no longer supported in the UK!!!

So what options are there (I dont want to spend more than say £30), I will consider Shareware if the package works!!!

The software doesn't have to be really powerfull, I am keen to see my ingoings and outgoings, summary by months, and ability to catagorise payments.

ANY IDEAS? :lease:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure what you read about Money, although I was a Quicken user when I used something like this I always believed Money was pretty good as well, I used Quicken from DOS days but I did get one version of Money to look at and thought it would have been a reasonable alternative had I not already committed to Quicken.

I'd have thought Money would have done the things you're looking to do.

3. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    I've never had any issues with Money , other than keeping up with it .
    John

4. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    i've used quicken for years, but i don't like it's newish online system. it's meant to keep you up-to-date but seemed a way to keep making them money.

I''ve now gone back to the last version I bought (2002) It still works fine.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    we've used MS money for years and its been fine. does a good job and makes getting details for tax returns a LOT easier.

6. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    I am trying out MS Money (90 trial)! Is there a wat to automatically catergorise certain payments, e.g. if it contains "ASDA" it is a Grocery Payment, if it contains NPOWER it is a Electricity Bill etc etc...

7. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    its strange, some of them it seems to learn and others it steadfastly refuses to auto categorise. I remember when I first got money that I asked MS if it was possible to customise but they said no. not sure if this has changed in the meantime but I don't think so.

8. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +584
    I have found a work around! If I search for say "ASDA" it will pick up all the transactions, I then select them ALL, right click, choose change category and then select Groceries or whatever, it then changes them all which is good! This will do for now.

One more question - I am using money to mange 2 accounts, my own account and a joint account, how can a make it report on a specific account, not I have added another it seems to calculate them all together!

9. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    Think I'm using Money94 . I'm fairly sure "tesco Weekly Shop" automatically registers as groceries

John

10. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    That's a really good idea, might use that in future if I've got a lot of staements to get through.

In the reports section click the "customise" button at the bottom, this has a tab for accounts and allows you select the one you want a report on. alternatively let it produce the report then go to the customise section (now on the left), change the style to report (if it isn't already) and go to the "rows and columns" tab, set "columns" to "accounts"

11. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    This is the trouble that I've found, sometimes it does it automatically and sometimes it doesn't, problem is, it doesn't seem to learn. for example I used to be paid by a hospital and it would always interpret my monthly salary as a "Healthcare expense: Doctor", despite the fact that every month I told it it wasn't.

12. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Spome good cheap cheerful and functional software available from
    http://www.focusmm.co.uk/
    but I had a prod around and couldn't find a Home Acounts package.
    My Linux distro (Suse) has KMyMoney installed - I have not used it in anger but a quick prod looks like it has funtionality that would be suitable.
    I have not checked on sourceforge in case there is a Windoze version.
    May be worth a prod.
    IIRC therr is a Linux mag out there with a free copy of Suse 9.3 Pro on the cover so it would cost around five or six quid if wanna try Suse..