• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Holy Trinity - Freeview HD recorder, Skype and iPlayer

TobyAnscombe

Established Member
Hi All,

I am looking for a new tv for my mother - preferably with Freeview HD and a recorder, Skype and internet (iplayer and maybe LoveFilm)

Bearing in mind that she has severe arthritis and is more or less housebound the skype part is because I've got a 7mth baby and my sister has a 5mth baby so if she could skype from the lounge that would be handy - She has got a laptop with a webcam but to use the tv and not have to power up another device would be very handy...

iPlayer for catch up tv, LoveFilm as she has shown an interest and the HD recorder to replace a Sony combo HDD and DVD recorder and to reduce down to a single remote control.

She has a 22" but I think that anything up to 37" would be ok, 32" would be perfect...

Does such a TV exist? looks like LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic seem to have the skype and internet stuff but almost no-one seems to do an integrated recorder (or the ability to use a USB stick or SD card).

2nd Question - if I need to buy a separate freeview HD recorder, is there a link type option where the TV talks to the recorder, thus only needing one controller... need to keep it simple!

Oh, and I thought about Sky HD (my personal favorite) but she lives in a care home with no sky, cable or permission to mount a dish....

Many, Many thanks for any replies...

vickster

Distinguished Member
I don't think there are any with an in-built PVR, JVC did one a few years back but it wasn't a big seller, none since as far as I know

TobyAnscombe

Established Member
Cheers Vickster, Busy with Google and nothing popping out..

So, follow up question - how good is the skype/iPlayer stuff on new tellys?

vickster

Distinguished Member
I don't know - don't have these functions, nor would I ever use them! Have a look at the reviews and owners' threads for the models of interest to you :)

LazySoAndSo

Established Member
I thought that Sonys have all that. What about the Sony KDL32CX523. That's got USB record (one tuner though),Skype, if you buy the additional hardware, and Iplayer. I believe.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom