1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holo3D/DScaler with PS2 and Xbox

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Easy2BCheesy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is any one running their PS2 or Xbox via component into their HCPC? Do you have any screengrabs from DScaler to show the quality of image you get?

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'll try to get some tonight. Anyone know the easy way to screen grab from holo3d without using hypersnap?

cheers,
    Rob.

3. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Rob, I'd really appreciate it.

4. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've uploaded the grabs to

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rob.screene/holo3d/xbox pal component holo3d f.JPG
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rob.screene/holo3d/console holo3d xbox ps2.zip
    The .zip is 4.6MB and includes several screenshots from HALO and Sega GT in PAL60 (NTSC on holo3d) via the Microsift Hi-Def Component lead.

Strangely Sega GT in normal PAL over Component gives a blank screen. I guess since the Hi-Def component pack isn't officially available that not all games output PAL via Component or perhaps it's defaulting to 720p or something that the HOLO3D won't input?

I also took some grabs off Gran Tourismo 3 on the Playstation2, via S-Video to see how they compared to X-Box Sega GT.

The holo3d print screen button takes images as screen resolution so these images are 1440x864 and 1440x960 and assume you've got a 16:9 display, otherwise might look 33% too tall on 4:3 monitors.

You pioneer 433 plasma will use 1024x768 natively so the HTPC vertical scaling at that resolution will be close, but not quite as clean, although you might be able to input the above resolustions as apparently the panels scale higer resolutions down very well.

Oh and the colors in the grabs don't look quite as bright as on-screen, something to do with print-screen I guess.

regards,
    Rob.

5. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob,

First of all, thanks for the effort you've put in here. You're right about the colours - there's a big lack of saturation in them which I found quite surprising. I could correct that to an extent in Photoshop, but it still wasn't quite right.

One thing I did seem to find is that the deinterlacing seemed superior from the Xbox compared to the PS2. The PS2 seemed to be showing some deinterlacing artefacts which seem totally invisible on the Xbox, although Xbox seemed slightly 'blurrier'. I take it that the Xbox wasn't outputting 480p and was definitely interlaced?

However, I'm definitely impressed with Dscaler - to be able to produce that level of deinterlacing and scaling on the fly, in real time, is frankly excellent. Now I wonder how close to this level of capture the £175 SweetSpot is...

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi,
    I was using an Immersive HOLO3D card, with built in Faroudja DCDi deinterlacer, not Dscaler. From memory this looks very, very similar to a really clean capture card and DScaler running tomsmocomp deinterlacing. For this purpose the HOLO3D just has a nicer on-screen user-interface.

I'd bet the Sweetspot Component/RGB and Dscaler, even PB TV100 S-Video and Dscaler are hard to tell apart for most people.

I'd say the Sweetspot giving RGB input for that price is very tempting, especially for Plasma users who have a lot to benefit from the improved de-interlacing and scaling the Dscaler HTPC provides. Let's just hope the analog inputs are as clean as the HOLO3D, I can't remember if they used a good quality Philips analog decoder chip or not?

£175 sweetpot, £150 MB/cpu/memory, £45 psu, £60 hard disk, £100 Radeon 9600, £70 WinXP home, Dscaler free = £600 parts price.

Mind you if you factor in remote control and assembly time, it's getting awfully close to the price of the Lumagen Vision, although the HTPC would give DVI output whereas the Lumagen only does analog VGA.

I've seen Radeon 9600 DVI out to tbrar's Pioneer 433 MXE and it was very, very good. No tearing or particularly bad pans either. Compined with a DVD-ROM drive, reasonable S/PDIF soundcard and TheaterTek DVD it gives a stunning combined picture of great processing and a good panel. This gives a reference quality scaled all-digital DVI DVD player and potentially a good RGB/Component input DVI output scaler.

Sega GT was PAL60 and detected as NTSC 480i.
    HALO was running PAL and detected as 576i.
    Both were interlaced outputs as my HOLO3D 1 can't input progressive scan.
    Gran Tourismo 3 was PAL 576i.

Both do show vertical aliasing occasionally, as both are relatively low-resolution sources. I do find the result pleasing to watch and play. Seeing them on interlaced tellies is quite a shock.

I think the X-box is generally more smoothed in it's visuals. I guess it's where it's games have a better basic rendering engine and polygon lighting. I still love the look of Gran Tourismo 3 though.

I'm not sure how to activate progressive scan. I thought I'd need a hacked/US X-box. Anyway, any benefits of 480p will be lost as my projector really needs 720p or higher to not have obvious line structure.

Perhaps a better solution for you, if you can get progressive scan with the games you play is to go straight to your panel? The Pioneer would then have to scale to 768p internally, but it might look passable, just not as good as a Radeon HTPC does it.

regards,
    Rob.

7. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Rob

to answer your question :
    "Let's just hope the analog inputs are as clean as the HOLO3D, I can't remember if they used a good quality Philips analog decoder chip or not?"

the answer is yes, we use the same Philips SAA7118 component as the Holo

cheers

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Where is it Dave?

When can we expect to get these puppies.
    Sort of wanetd one before me plasma arrives.

9. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Mr. D,

The anticipation is all part of the excitement!

Seriously, we are still on track to start taking orders before the end of the month, we just want to make sure that we resolve some issues that we identified as part of our testing.

We will be contacting everyone that has registered to let them know when we are taking orders - so in the meantime get those PayPal accounts ready :)

cheers