1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hollywood + vs xcard vs standalone

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Bascombe, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Bascombe

Bascombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

let me say from the outset that I am only a htpc dabbler, and am (at the mo) really not looking to do anything too fancy (till the day when I can afford a projector.........)

I bought a H+ card a few years ago, as at the time it was cheaper than a standalone, and by all accounts the image quality was comparable if not better (gues it depended on the standalone). I have been using it connected to an old Panasonic TX25x1, that has been doing the rounds in the family for the past 10 years or more, and has been mine for the past 4. At present its connected up via a 10m profigold svid cable to the svid socket on the tv.

I recently entered the whacky world of surround sound (two weeks ago - happy boy:):) with a yam 5540, and some basic wharfedale speakers, and my ears have been truly opened. Trouble is, my eyes are starting to feel a bit left out :(

I've been reading alot of good things bout the xcard, but would like to hear from anyone here who has used both it and the H+ via svid. I know rgb would be the way to go with the xcard, but I'm a little puzzled about how to extend the rgb connector bought separately to stretch the 10m to the tv - and I spent (for me) a fair bit on the svid cable, so would be happy to stick with it for mo.

My reasons for sticking with a pc for dvd at the mo would remain price, versatility, and fewer boxes under the tv. But is a standalone really the way to go??

Another issue - I'm really beginning to pine for a WS TV (something like the pana tx28ps1) - would doing that upgrade alone raise my dvd image quality even with the H+ (sticking with svid for the mo)? Would a decent upgrade plan be tv then dvd player, or dvd player first?

I guess these are probably pretty basic issues, but any advice you can offer would be of great help in helping me get the most out of A) my dvds and B) my meagre wages :)

Many thanks!

Bascombe