Holidays abroad and non-essential foreign travel

I've only ever seen Cornwall rammed once. That was during the total eclipse of the sun back in August 1999 so I think you are exaggerating slightly there aren't you? But you do have a point - Cornwall will be pricier than normal this year, just not as pricey as you are making out. If it was it wouldn't be rammed.
Cornwall is often rammed, covid or no covid and its also always expensive. Its part of the reason we wouldnt go during the school holidays its just too busy and this year will be incredible. And as for the prices, yes they have gone through the roof

Ive booked 4 cottage holidays this year, all UK, the prices have gone through the roof. I usually pay around 400 quid for the week, I dont like to pay more than that for a cottage, its less in the winter, but this year I cant get anything decent for that, I had to pick whatever times I could get so just chose what I could get, the prices have more or less doubled.
Shocking, isn’t it? Not surprised though, sadly.

Ive booked 4 cottage holidays this year, all UK, the prices have gone through the roof. I usually pay around 400 quid for the week, I dont like to pay more than that for a cottage, its less in the winter, but this year I cant get anything decent for that, I had to pick whatever times I could get so just chose what I could get, the prices have more or less doubled.
Fortunately for us we booked up a cottage the start of 2020 in the Cotswolds for mid August and payed the deposit. We managed to cancel that and move it to the same date this year at no extra cost

We took a punt in January that foreign holidays were out for this year so we’ve booked 2 holidays here instead on south coast and then east coast. Both are lodges and I’m glad we did as prices have gone through the roof since the announcement on 22 February about reopening. Orlando and such like can wait till next year.

I think a large number of people have stopped following the rules now I am seeing more and more house parties and gatherings on social media.

It has been a very long winter and people have given up now I think.

A family member of mine has ignored the rules from the outset, including refusing to self-isolate when his lodger, who works in health care, tested positive. Civil liberties, y'know? :(

He is also refusing vaccination, despite having T1 diabetes which puts him at greater risk of complications if he gets Covid.

Gives me the rage, I'm afraid.

Who have you booked with?
I think you'll find that just about every airline is at present allowing passengers to make cancellations and changes to flight dates regardless of circumstances and without having to make fully flexible bookings.

I think you'll find that just about every airline is at present allowing passengers to make cancellations and changes to flight dates regardless of circumstances and without having to make fully flexible bookings.
But not many if any are offering full refunds if you just decide you don't fancy going.

Are we likely to see price hikes once the announcement about travel is made?

I'm thinking more in terms of travel across the pond as I've decided I want Costa Rica (possibly via Portugal) to be my first post Covid adventure.

Are we likely to see price hikes once the announcement about travel is made?

I'm thinking more in terms of travel across the pond as I've decided I want Costa Rica (possibly via Portugal) to be my first post Covid adventure.

Prices went up by quite a hike after the announcement that foreign holidays might be possible after mid May. Travel companies will take as much advantage as possible of the very high demand that is expected.

I'm not sure he's too far off to be honest, I did a quick Google search earlier and prices were starting at £8-900 for a week and that was a 2 bedroom caravan in May. I couldn't check prices for summer as they were all booked for that time already, but I would definitely expect them to be higher priced than May.
I don't think high prices will put too many people off as most haven't had a holiday in over a year. Lots of people will have been spending different during that period and saved up more so the extra spend isn't a concern. I think people will pay more to make sure they get something in the UK as lots won't want to travel abroad even if they're able to.
Fair enough, that is expensive. For comparison I have booked a cottage that sleeps eight adults for about £1400. Maybe I was lucky. The year before last we booked a similar cottage for about £1100 so, yes, prices have been hiked. I just didn't think the hike was so big.

Foreign holidays are at a risk of not starting until August - according to Senior government sources. The reasons as infection rates rising across Europe.

I think anyone looking at the current situation in the most popular areas for British travel would realise that May is looking too soon for full opening up. August sounds more likely, although lets face it, our glorious leaders are not exactly averse to not quite getting it right**.......

**Polispeak for "cock up"

I think anyone looking at the current situation in the most popular areas for British travel would realise that May is looking too soon for full opening up. August sounds more likely, although lets face it, our glorious leaders are not exactly averse to not quite getting it right**.......

**Polispeak for "cock up"
Speaking for me I'm not one of the Benidorm holiday type travellers. For me my preferred destination is Costa Rica (as I have friends there) who are doing quite well and are letting travellers in without even tests so for me it will be very frustrating (putting it diplomatically) if it can't go there in June barring either us or them having a drastic turn for the worse.

Ofcourse places like Brazil and (if not significantly improved) Italy, Germany and France are a no go so soon but places like Isreal, Gibraltar, Costa Rica and even the USA should be part of a travel bubble in my opinion, assuming they will have us ofcourse which two of those i'm almost certain will but not sure on the other two.

If people are fussy about where they go then they can wait until August or whenever, I'm not and would happily accept a travel bubble almost anywhere after a year and a half stuck at home.

If we were to go abroad we'd go back and visit New Zealand. We love it there. Only been to North Island so far.

But we have no intention of flying anywhere this year.

We like tootling out to the Lakes (my spiritual home), the Dales, North Yorkshire Moors, Peak District etc and, once we CAN, we'll be heading to Coningsby in Lincolnshire to see a certain WW2 bomber flying (once she returns from her maintenance schedule elsewhere...).

Plus we have a very nice double egg chair in the garden for nice hot lazy days when the other half doesn't want to drive anywhere (I never took a driving test and anyway, I have cataracts in my right eye and can't see well. Plus, I have a feeling I would be an extraordinarily bad-tempered driver!).

Sorted.

Yup. As the old saying goes, if something is punished with a fine then it's only illegal for the poor.
Not to mention people with second homes being allowed to go there, which instantly reeked of being in favour of the more elite to me. I don't know many working class people with second homes that they can go to for a break.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom