Holiday Transfers - a mild rant

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Looking for a cheap week in the sun. Cheap, because the main expensive holiday is in Australia over Christmas.

Had a target of £1.5k or less in mind but as we look through, suitable packages are creeping upto the £2k mark and beyond. With spends this is going to put it beyond £3k for the week.

If it were just down to me, I'd have probably dropped the idea preferring to spend the money on some more luxuries in Australia, but my wife has the bug now, so no turning back.

But to rub salt into the wounds I now find that transfers between the airport and the hotel are now optional extras for a package holiday. What's worse is that you can't tell how much they will be until you add the holiday into the cart, add all the traveller information and then only just before payment are you told what the transfers will cost.

This really irritates me. Again if it were down to me it would be enough for me to say "ok if you want to play like that you can stuff your holiday, I won't bother". But my wife wouldn't stand for that, now she has her mind set on it, she is going.

If they told me the price upfront or increased the package price I wouldn't be so irked. It's just that it is something that for 10s of years I have taken for granted as included as standard and more, the fact that they won't tell me how much it will be until just before payment is taken.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Airport transfers | Holiday transfers | Taxi Transfers | Holiday taxis | Airport taxis

i have used them for a holiday to turkey
they only pickup drop off to hotel
post code is turkey very diffcult to understand
normally shuttle bus setting approx 7 people
when i flying back they came in a 32 seater coach and i was the only passenger
important must reconfirm booking for return journey 24 hours before return flight normallly local number

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. To be honest, I doubt the package transfer will be much more than paying privately and is a lot more convenient.

My main gripe is that

(a) they aren't included in the package
(b) the extra price isn't declared up front

Cheers,

Nigel

never gone on a package holiday but i have seen the buses at the airport normally you have to wait for upto 90 minutes after you pick up your bags as there is always people that will go into the duty free shops on arrival and you have to wait for them
then its all the hotel dropoff which add another 1 hour to the transfer time
if you still looking at turkey maybe its 2 late now but cheapest holiday is to get just a flight only using somelike sky scanner and arranging hotels on arrival there is always empty rooms ( except during turkish public holidays) and the hotel will always discount when they know they have cash up front instead of waiting months from the tour operator

Not going to Turkey anymore. Wife has changed mind to Portugal. Especially after the syrian rebels took control of some of the border control posts yesterday. Yes I know that is a long way away from the holiday spots we are looking for but no convince my wife.

We are not the sort to risk finding accomodation when we get there.

Cheers,

Nigel

enjoy your holiday
some people are suprised by the size of turkey i beleive the entired land mass of turkey is 5 tiimes greater than combined uk and ireland
i have been in turkish resorts where the temp has been 50c but in other parts of the country it was snowing

When, where from, and how any people? I can't believe you can't do it for less than £3k for a week! Myself, my wife and our 2 daughters are going for 10 nights all inclusive to Ibiza in a couple of weeks and with transfers and spending money it'll cost us about £2300 , that's all inclusive as well don't forget. Personally I think the prices the usual operators change for transfers is scandalous, we always get a taxi from Ibiza airport to the resort, 35 Euros each way for all of us. Where have you been getting prices from so far?

Family - me, my wife, our son and daughter.

Counts as 3 adults and 1 child.

Cheapest is Turkey at around £1.6k and Mallorca\Algarve at around £2k. Also looked at Tunisa which would be about £2.6k all inclusive.

Reckon we would spend at least £100 per day (£700 total).

So yes it may come in under £3k but not by much.

Tunisia looked interesting but when we looked at the hotels they get pretty poor (and consistently so) ratings, so my wife wasn't too impressed.

Anyway, my wife has (unpressured by me, I should add) that it is a lot of money to spend on a week in a mediocre hotel\apartment so has decided to save the money to spend on extra luxuries when we visit Australia and Hong Kong at Christmas.

Cheers,

Nigel

See for that kind of money on a package holiday I'd be looking at a private villa with private pool. £1000 for flights, £1000 for villa, depending on location you may need a small rental car and job done...

Then again if you don't like each others company it is a more private option, but on the plus side you can wear what you want to wear, and eat what you like to eat etc...

Just a thought...
Cheap flights from the usual suspects
Villas from holidaylettings or ownersdirect

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom