Holiday To Egypt

Member 328449

Well-known Member
I've got a holiday booked to Sharm for next a June but with all the goings on at the moment my girlfriend is having second thoughts. It's booked through Red Sea holidays, and so far I've only paid the deposit. Where do I stand with cancellation or changing it?
 

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have not checked but what is the advice of the official British travel department? If they strongly advice against it then do take that seriously. Also, understand that if something does happen to you and/or your partner, regardless of whether it is related to the on going troubles or not, your Travel Insurance may be considered null & void as it was your choice to ignore any official travel guidelines. These things may vary between various insurers so heck carefully.

Suave!
 

nheather

Distinguished Member
A holiday company is not obliged to allow you to cancel or change unless the Foreign Office is advising against all but essential travel.

I don't think that is the case so you are at the good nature of the company - they might let you change.

Cheers,

Nigel
 

outoftheknow

Moderator
I reckon the travel advice as of now is not too relevant for a booking for June next year. If at the time of travel the advice is nothing but essential or don't go, then the travel agent would undoubtedly allow refunds and changes etc. at the moment I would think it is as you say, booked for next year, not sure it is safe based on current things. Pretty much goodwill of the travel agent I suspect as Nigel mentioned already.
 

Egg White

Distinguished Member
when do you have to pay the full amount by..? - maybe just save the cash and wait until nearer the time before either paying the full amount, or cancelling?
 

Member 328449

Well-known Member
Cheers guys. I've only paid a couple of hundred and the rest is due in February. I might phone and see if I can cancel. I can always rebook closer to the time if it looks good
 

Member 328449

Well-known Member
Well after speaking to the travel company, not only will they take my deposit if I cancel but they will charge me another £60. Not great. This obviously changes if the government changes it's recommendations and advises not to fly.
 

hutch

Distinguished Member
There is absolutely no way I personally would go to that part of the World, no way is it safe for Westerners
 

Egg White

Distinguished Member
There is absolutely no way I personally would go to that part of the World, no way is it safe for Westerners

yeah, i had some nervous throughts about going to rhodes a short while back after reading about all the refugees heading over to lesbos (not far away) and the fact one can see turkey from the beach... think rhodes is lucky because the coastline there (turkey) is all cliffs etc...
 

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
Bear in mind that the price of holidays there are going to plummet. Almost everyone is going to cancel and the resorts will be desperate.
Cancel now, take the hit on the chin and if you think its OK to go then start looking next year for bargains.
If you fancy a weekend in Paris, apparently there have been shedloads of cancellations so you should be able to grab a very good deal.
 
Last edited:

sergiup

Distinguished Member
Would you consider Hurghada instead? I would say that it's potentially safer if you're concerned about that.
Regardless, June next year is a very long way away...
 

shodan

Distinguished Member
My parents were meant to fly to Sharm the day after the flights were all cancelled. They got their money back, then booked another holiday for the same days.

In Hurgada, about 500 miles drive from Sharm, or about 30 mins flight away...

Fortunately it all went well for them and that had a great time, but I wasn't overly impressed...
 

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
How can they charge £60 on top of keeping the deposit? Surely the deposit is to cover any cancellations also?
 

Member 328449

Well-known Member
God knows. Personally I'm not too fussed. Been to Hurgada and loved it, especially the snorkelling. I just to get it sorted really but it looks like I'll have to either wait, or take the loss.
 

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Bear in mind that the price of holidays there are going to plummet. Almost everyone is going to cancel and the resorts will be desperate.
Cancel now, take the hit on the chin and if you think its OK to go then start looking next year for bargains.
If you fancy a weekend in Paris, apparently there have been shedloads of cancellations so you should be able to grab a very good deal.


Valid point re prices going down.

I think it's a racing certainty that Tourism in Egypt (wonder how many Russians will cancel/ not go is going to suffer as a result of events last month. In the short to medium term anyway.

That suggests that prices will fall as Agents to try to lure people back.

If the OP cancels and loses his couple of hundred deposit (without being nosey that suggests that he still has several hundred to pay), it could well be the case that a similar holiday might cost £200 (ish) less if booking next year. Deposit recovered. In a roundabout type of way.

FWIW i think it's a bit mean them wanting to charge the OP another £60 on top of his lost deposit (check T&C).
 

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Unless you have a piece of paper or email (T&Cs) from the time of booking regarding this £60, I'd like to see them claim it.
 

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I've booked flights for July. Looking at changing but I only have to pay for admin fees at the moment. Not 100% sure if I'm going or not.
If it was Paris would you change your mind?
 

Member 328449

Well-known Member
More nonsense in Hurghada today. What's wrong with these people?
 

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom