Holiday in the Lake district. Where to go?

Reaction score
Would love to know where are the best places of interest,restaurants etc to visit.

Love the Lake District.

Always stay at The Hilthwaite House Hotel in Windermere. Superb hotel with absolutely first class food at a bargain price.

Depends what you are into really. If you fancy walking then just grab a copy of Wainwrights Walks and do a few of them.

If you are more interested in places to visit try:

1. Keswick, lovely little town. You must visit the Old Friars Chocolate Shop. If you are a chocoholic like me you will love it.

2. Bowness on Windermere. Another lovely little place. Some great shops and you can catch a ferry across Windermere. Very scenic.

3. Rheged Centre. This is near Penrith and is built inside a hill. Also has an huge Imax Cinema if you are unlucky to get a rainy day.

4. If you have a reliable car, drive over Hard Knott Pass. Very very tight but beautiful landscape.

5. Grasmere. Another beautfil little village. Famous for the Grasmere Gingerbread shop.

I could probably go on for ages here, there are tons and tons of superb places to visit in the Lake District.

Everything he said.

It's a fantastic place. I've been going for the last 15 years, generally camping here and I never get bored of it. You always seem to be within an hour of something to do, which is great.

For walking, try here Quite descriptive with a few photos to tempt you.

My wife loves it in Keswick. It's a 2 mile walk from where we camp, and we tend to walk halfway round Derwent water, then drink a bottle of champers next to the lake and watch the sun go down.:smashin: You just can't get bored of that.

That campsite suitable for families?

Don't forget Hawkshead and the nearby Grizedale Forest.

That campsite suitable for families?

It is a family only one, no same sex groups, no noise after 10.30:boring: :rolleyes: and plenty of space for them to play. It is quite basic but with decent showers/wash area. Pub 5 metres down the track. And it is really cheap.:smashin:

PUB!!!! I'm there next time we go camping. I went to a site here two weeks ago with the rest of the clan. Lovely, small, rocky bays with sandy beaches. Very safe for young ones to paddle.

5. Grasmere. Another beautfil little village. Famous for the Grasmere Gingerbread shop.

Yummmmmm:D Go there now!....just finished my last batch that I stocked up on in June - fantastic heated up in the oven!

Also in Grasmere is Baldry's for spiced apple juice and some great welsh rarebit! Bleedin' closed last time I went!

this is a nice place to stay (classy B&B)

http://www.1parkroad.com/

although I am not too keen on its location - Windermere is a bit too tourist drenched

Thanks for all the replies. We are staying at a Haven park at somewhere called Grange Over Sands. Looks like its about 45 minutes away from all the best places!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom