Holiday check list/ to buy list

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Astaroth, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Ok... holiday to Sri Lanka is fast approaching and so want to make sure that I have everything that I need. Apologies if I havent got the model numbers 100% correct but I was wondering if there is anything else that I should have (budget of £200 max) for a touring holiday.

Have:
    Canon 350d
    USM version of kit lens
    70-300mm IS
    EF-S 60mm macro
    UV filters for all above
    430EX flash
    2* 1 gig CF cards
    60 gig portable hard drive thing
    1 spare battery for camera
    Mountain of rechargable batteries
    lens cleaning cloth
    rocket blower sensor cleaning thingy
    Lowpro back pack which holds all kit
    Canon shoulder bag holds "need for the day" stuff
    Shutter release cable
    Tripod (but not taking it with me)

On order
    58mm cir pol filter (will not fit macro lens)

Anything else? dont want to get out there and realise I really need something that I dont have :suicide:

2. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Looks to me like you have everything covered.

If you aren't taking your tripod it might be worth taking a monopod ...

Also consider your bag and make sure it's up to the rigorous task ahead of it :)

3. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +552
    Looks like you've got pretty much everything covered, but if there is any available space in your bag then a clean pair of undies might be an idea. ;)

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    i'd take one of those mini tripods (tiny ones about 6 inches high) useful for those emergency long exposure situations and they take up very little space. Be careful how you angle the legs tho as they tend to be a little front heavy with an SLR attached.

5. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    ill second the idea of a monopod ill even lend you mine as i now know you live in bromley, you will need to get yourself a head though, i suggest a ball and socket head from jessops, i can also try and get you discount if you want (i used to work in the one in the glades)
    also a filter clamp might be handy for removing filters that get stuck (its just a piece of plastic, but those old rubber things people used to have to get lids off jars are better.

Let me know if you want to use the monopod, incase you were wondering its Manfrotto 681 monopod, aluminium, 3 leg sections. If you get a ball head you can then use this on any headless tripod you have your may buy, or you could of course get the tilting monopod head for about £25 from warehouse express

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Thanks for the offer ush flynn - I do have a very cheap Jessops monopod but never got on with it too well which is why I accelerated the purchase of my manfrotto tripod. I may consider packing the tripod but it will take up a noticable chunk of my bagage allowance and I am still very self consious (silly I know) about using an SLR "in public" let alone a tripod/ monopod.

I work for an insurance company so do get a 15% discount from Jessops - though be interesting to know if you get a bigger discount ;) For some reason the jessops at the top of the high street always seem to be much better at giving it than the one in the Glades

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    how about one of those beanbags? Lets you settle the camera on uneven surfaces? or a gorrilapod which has bendy legs to grip to posts etc.

You got mains power and a plug converter for the portable hard drive and charger(s)?

Other than that you look sorted.

8. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Never heard of those - GREAT idea though... anywhere specific to get one from?

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,056
    Jessops usually have them - two sizes depending on the size of your camera

10. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159

Yeah been looking for one of those too :)

11. imcarm

imcarm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find those squishy microbead cushions make a good alternative to the beanbags.

12. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
  13. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159

Yeah bit big though and IIRC you bought a pink un didn't you ;)

14. imcarm

imcarm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah it was blue mate. :laugh:

15. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I've got one of the small gorrila pods for my compact camera and it works great, just need to save up to get it's bigger brother now.

16. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Ah who have you been talking to? sounds cheesy but if you talk to rocky (his badge might say ruxton) Ricky, Richard, Curtis or Stacey (my gf) tell them i sent you (call me ush or usheen). Nash, the manage has good days and bad days but best to avoid. Alison has been there the 2nd longest after Nash but probably knows the least, avoid at all costs. Shes the dreary sounding one who makes you want to go and cut yourself just to ease the pain of listening to her.

The discount they do is trade price plus VAT. They have refitted the whole shop since i worked there, looks alright now!

But if you change your mind about the monopod let me know, its not heavy or big but its strong, The beanbags are another good option as long as you have somewhere to put it! What kind of head do you have for your tripod?

17. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    The 2 I remember in the Glades store is the manager when I went to get the 350d - unfortunately it was a Sunday so wasnt the best planning from my point of view but he called head office and said they were closed, then went off and tried the regional managers home number, then called the call centre who said they hadnt heard of our discount. Finally had to give him the telephone number for the "insurance" department who confirmed we did get the discount. He then had to call them back again when he couldnt work out how to put it through the till.

The only other guy is a fairly big chap and looks "young for his age" - originally asked for advice on going for dSLR or Prosummer camera and he said that they couldnt give advice. Went back in to buy a few filters after getting the dSLR and even though he had been trying to help the manager put the corporate discount into the till he then denied that we got a discount and refused to telephone the number the manager had a few minutes earlier. Tried one time afterwards to get the macro lense with a discount voucher from Practical Photographer and he said he had been told not to accept them.

Since having such fun with them I have always gone to the other one since as a quick call to confirm stock and that we get a discount I have never had any problems with them at all.

I will let you know on the monopod.

Thanks again

18. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    christ!! nightmare experience then! agreed that sunday is a no no, head office really is closed on a sunday and a lot of things dont go through the tills properly. It doesnt sound like Nash to ever ring the area manager at home. He hates his guts beyond belief. Probably more likely to be Rocky (African sounding guy) The big guy, if you mean rotund, then its Richard, never worked with him and dont particuarly like him, seems a bit self sure and thinks his Fuji F610 is the best camera around for under £200.. ... That gives you some clues as to why to avoid him. If you mean tall and skinny then thats Curtis, never worked with him but doesnt seem to know what hes doing either. There is always the possibility that on a sunday you actually spoke to cover staff from the other store of one of the croydon branches, that tended to happen every week.
    If you ever dare go back in after your experience there look for a tall skinny emo kid called Ricky and tell him i sent you and to cut the crap!

As for your holiday, i was thinking about filters and my experiences with digitals, have you ever thought about using one of the systems and going for a ND grey gradient filter? brings out tons of detail in the sky where it could normally get blown out. I realise they can seem a bit bulky and prohibitive but you could in the long run save a lot of money and space, also have you thought about the battery grip? i saw you have a spare battery and thought about storing them both in the grip at the same time, also useful for vertical shooting.
    Do you have hoods for your lenses?
    And as you said you were worried about using the SLR out there, do you have insurance on the kit for travelling, or is it covered properly on your travel insurance? remember some only pay out £200 for lost or stolen goods like that... shocking

19. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    No, I ment big in all respects. The other guy claimed to be the manager, small somewhat snivilling little man - dont know if a mention of my meeting the next day with Symon Powell (brand development director) spured him to call the area manager or not (I know a lot of shop front staff dont know the names of senior management)

Working in insurance I do have that side of things covered - no worries about taking the camera out there - just before I bought the camera (before booking the holiday) I wasnt sure if I "needed" an SLR or not.

Personally dont like the looks of battery grips and I am lazy so leave the quick release for the tripod on the base of the camera at all times which wouldnt work with a battery grip.

I dont have hoods which is one thing I was considering - need to check if I can "get away" with the same hood for the kit lense and the 70-300.

Given that my main 2 lenses to be used on hols - kit and the 70-300 both have rotating ends when focusing I wasnt sure how graduated filters work... for the 60mm there is internal focusing and so not an issue but I didnt think that I would be using it too much - it will probably be fairly dusty so dont want to be opening it up to switch lenses too often and so the variable focus lengths will be more useful

20. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    the filter systems are free to swivel around the end of the lens, so you can right the filter yourself or tilt it to an angle depending to what you want.
    You can get screw thread hoods which arent quite as effective but are an option. Your better off getting the ones for the lenses and turning them round backwards when your packing them away.

As for the staff there... this experience with the manager, was it before last christmas? if it was it could have been owen, snivelling little man sounds about right for him! The actual manager, Nash, is from Mauritius. Speaks a bit indian/french if you can imagine that! As for the big guy, i have a feeling he was from another store, nobody in the glades is particuarly big. Im not defending them here! i dont even like some of the new staff!

21. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    No, it was about April when I decided to splash out.

I dont which store the big chap is from but he has been there on 3 occasions but my memory could be wrong on what he looked like... any how... personally find the people from the high street branch much more friendly (though I am sure if you had still been there it would all have been different ;) ) - it was one of their lasses that almost gave me the DO version of the 70-300mm by mistake and put me into a moral quandary until they realised just before giving me the bag.

22. ush flynn

ush flynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    haha, ive had mixed feelings on the DO lens though mate, not sure its my kinda thing

23. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159

I thought that until I tried one ;) Oh and the grip has the thread underneath to allow the tripod foot to stay affixed in the same manner as the camera :)

24. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I know you can still attach the quick release plate onto the grip but it didnt look as if it would be practical to hold the new grip in the vertical plane when the plate is still attached.

May consider getting it at a later date but will then need to get more batteries as the benefit for me of having 2 is the fact I can use one whilst leaving the other one at "home" charging... so 2 more batteries will be needed