1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOLDAN URC1600 Universal Touch Screen LCD Remote Control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Dr Niceguy, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I have searched the net for info on this remote but without sucess. Have any of you guys used or had experience of this remote?
    It's spec reads like:
    Controls up to 16 devices, including; TV, DVD Player,Satellite System, VCR etc.
    Compatible with virtually all makes and models
    Customiseable, large illuminated LCD touch screen display
    Up to 56 buttons per device
    7 Rubber buttons for frequently used functions such as volume, channel, device selection
    Built in clock and calender
    Connect To Your PC Via The Optional ULC 2080 USB Cable

and it can be bought for just £79 delivered so it seems good value to me??

any comments will be appreciated

Regards

2. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
  4. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well I have gone ahead and ordered it from here http://www.threedoubleyou.com/remotesx.htm
    it was only £62.04 delivered!!

It would appear from my research that it's made by an OEM company called 'Sunwave' http://www.sun-wave.com/products.htm
    I downloaded the instruction manual and after reading it, I felt this is a winner.....and great value!!
    It sells in the USA under the name Sima-35 for $199

I will let anyone know what it's like once I get it.... if anyone is interested?

5. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    It looks good, do you know what software they use for making your own MACROS and do they supply the software, that's one of the plus of the pronto, just press one button and off you go. The only downside using the pronto is the software, it's not what I would call 'User Friendly'

6. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I will let anyone know what it's like once I get it.... if anyone is interested?[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:
    I'm very interested and I've even started to read the 73 page manual

7. axs1544

axs1544
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks very interesting to me as well ......I have noticed though that you have to pay £14.99 as an extra to get the pc to remote link device...it doesnt come as standard with the remote control.....

Would be very interested to hear your review of the product .... :)

8. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all, I ordered the PC cable at the same time as the remote and I have already downloaded the software, it looks very user friendly!

Once I have it, I will let you know what it's like, but it does seen bloody good value to me at £77.03 delivered including the PC cable.

9. axs1544

axs1544
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any update on this remote yet ?

10. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I been slowly reading through the user manual, couple of things I have noticed,
    You can't change the LCD grahics all though that's no bad thing,
    You can't seem to change the position of keys, they appear to give 2 or 3 choices for each key, I would perfer to do my own layouts that are simular to ones that I will replace.

Could you advise the acual screen size, they give the overal dimension but not the screen size.

11. jethro10

jethro10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    just got one of these about 2 hours ago.
    Totally new to programmable remotes so not sure what to expect. Will post how it goes sometime soon.

Screen is quoted as 6x8cm on the box.
    Each button can have one of about 6 pre-designed titles or names
    Learns from other remotes very easy, infact manufacturer recommends this option to chosing a pre-designed code.
    Got the Cable link but cant get it to work yet becasuse the manual is so poor.

Back soon

Jeff

12. jethro10

jethro10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well, its now setup.
    Designing screens is very easy and if you make a mistake, you can go back into a screen at any time and add or delete a button. Once designed, I learned all my codes very quickly, this is a breeze.
    The limited choice of graphics or text is quite limited, but we got by, just. I would say here, that this remote, is only just good enough. My 5.1 surround was quite difficult to design as it only had buttons for a 3 speaker system Fortunatley I mirrored this layout lower down the screen with empty buttons (Just a border to signify a button was there). So Front Left pair was Above Rear Left pair if you follow. I gather the Philips Pronto Etal. allows total custom layout but at what price ? I'll stick with this.

Range of transmission seems very good, better than some of the originals !

Two quirks.
    1/ My Sky (i'm from the uk) box needs two presses of each channel number button to get it to work, so going to 501 i need to press 550011. I'm not sure what to do about this yet.
    2/ My tv has 6 source inputs and the supplied remote does this on one button. I finally figured out it toggles between two codes, so I have learned these on two adjacent buttons. Now that seems a bit strange but works.

Overall I would say i'm happy to keep it. I've tried one or two highstreet retailers before for "All in One" style cheapies and this is the only one that has replaced everything. However for thes silly buggers spending 5 times as much on a remote, all I can say is that this one will be rubbish for you, layout wise.
    Hope this helps ?

THanks

Jeff

13. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    jethro10, Interesting review, Can you assign the hard buttons to each device??, because that would be really helpful, I have a pronto and yes you can have flashy grahics for each device, the main drawback is the software is not user-friendly and when it's all set-up it really doesn't make that much difference and the machine it's not that user friendly having to scroll through 6 screens and the pronto only has 5 hard buttons. This one looks better if you can set the most freq used buttons for each device on the hard buttons.

Have you set up any marco's for one button switch on/off etc

14. Dr Niceguy

Dr Niceguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, I have had mine for a couple of days now and I have only programmed the basic functions so far as I have been working late this week.
    However, so far I am impressed, it is very easy for the remote to learn from your existing remotes and yes, you have a hard button for each device, ie TV, Sat/CBL, VCR, DVD, Amp, Audio, Disc and Aux.

Although I have not yet set up any macros, I have found it very easy to set up and designate functions etc.

So far I am well impressed for the price. It's better than having 6 remotes on the sofa :thumbsup:

15. jethro10

jethro10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Risky, not totally sure what you mean but lets guess (ask again if i'm wrong).
    THe bottom device bottons can be labeled anything on the screen upto 4 characters and basically just pull up a screen of buttons. One other hard button switches between Page 1/Page 2 of the chosen device. Then there are about 8 other hard buttons that can be programmed to anything, DIFFERENT FOR EACH DEVICE.
    Moving to a new device to use it day to day , say, means pressing the device button, and if all your main functions are on Page1, pressing a screen button or hard button and it does the function. Sounds quicker than the Pronto in use. The first 8 devices are only a press away. If you double up, the device button toggles the two devices, so any device is only 2 presses away

Macros are easy. Choose your button, flick around screens pressing your keys to record. Press stop and your away. Whwn you run a macro it switches screens and displays button presses 'graphically' and takes about a second per button. You can add more delay if you wish.

does this help ?

Ta
    Jeff

16. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Sorry I didn't explain myself very well, you explaination answers my question about the hard buttons being assigned to each device, which is what I need, the pronto is good but requires to many screen press to change simple things.

Looks like I am going to get one now, thanks for the info. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

17. jethro10

jethro10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right, I now have the PC link working. It installs the usb device by spoofing it as a COM port. It totally messed up and dropped it onto a port already in use. Gave no error messages, so that was a lot of fun till I got it sorted!

Well the software works but is as ropey as anything. Looks like a 10 year old wrote it for windows 3.1. Totally ancient looking and crappy feeling.

It is probably worth it to be able to backup your remote and download firmware updates. But as a better programming method, forget it.

Ta
    Jeff

18. jethro10

jethro10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Fine, if you look back, could you let us know your thoughts compared to the Pronto ?
    Just Curious.

Jeff

19. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Yea can do, what will say for now, I've downloaded the software and installed the program and had a general try out, I think it looks OK all fairly straight forward, the only draw back I can see, you can only assign keys in the position they have aready been assigned to, with this in mind you can't change the layout. in answer you comment about the software, if you think yours is bad you want to use the pronto software, I am convinced it was written by someone who is very clever but didn't have any common sense and for a program in this day age to written that doesn't allow bitmap graphs without conversion is total :censored: .

20. moghm

moghm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the price looks good. Do you think this would work with the pioneer ondigital box ? there is a cheaper model too, for 39 quid i think

21. Mr Neato

Mr Neato
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New to these universal remotes, and have got a couple of questions which might help me spend more money more wisley :) I have had two remotes in mind, the pronto 950 (if i could find it for good money) or this Holdan 1600.
    Now to the questions. Can you programme the Holdan control for sky+ and sky digital, i.e. the red, blue, yellow and green buttons and can it record etc and similarily for the tv control coloured buttons. Secondly can you programme it to switch all the gear on ( tv, dvd, amp) in one go and off in one press of the button.

Any help from owners greatley appreciated :lease:

22. plaver

plaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Looking at the book of words for the Holdan, it allows MACRO's so therefore one button will switch ON and OFF everything, providing you don't walk infront of the beam after you have put it down and then say it doesn't work properly like my good lady does. :suicide:

23. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,840
    I'm considering one of these units and was wondering whether you have any additional commnets or observations now that you have had it for a few months.

Also, how would the Holdan mimic a jog-dial thingy on a DVD remote?
    is the SKY digibox still an issue (double pressing of digits to get channel)?

Cheers! :smashin:

24. Dibble

Dibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Neato,

Have you managed to find out about SKY+ control from the Holdan 1600 URC?

I like the look of this unit but if SKY+ is messy then its not for me.

Any help please, Dibble

25. scatman

scatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This remote is available on ebay for under £20 plus £6 P+P from a company called virtualvillage. Ships from Shanghai. I ordered one last weekend they say allow up to 14 days for delivery.

It is rebadged with a different name. I cant remember the name at present.

26. amsjinjoe

amsjinjoe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello can any one help ,i have also Holdan URC-1600 16 in 1 Remote control as i bought this a few years ago i never came to using it but now i considering to using the Holdan URC-1600 remote as my former remote Logitech has gone broke and could not be fix(to old) the problem what i have is that the original setup CD that came along in the package is lost that has been happen while i move from my old to a new resident so i cant use the Holdan URC-1600 16 in 1 Remote control with out this setup CD so i hope that there are some members that also used this remote control to help me getting this setup CD