1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hold on ! New Panasonic recorders on the way !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by YvesC, Jan 7, 2005.

1. YvesC

YvesC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it has been mentioned on this forum yet, but Panasonic announced 3 new recorders at CES 2005.

Panasonic Press Release

The biggest surprise is that these recorders will be able to record on DVD-R, DVD-RAM and DVD+R as well as DVD-RW (though only in video format)! :clap:

Also they will incorporate a 12 bit AD converter, "lightning-fast response in start-up, recording and Electronic Program Guide display ― as quick as 1 second", LP mode twice as sharp as current models,...

DMR-ES10
    April 2005
    $249.95

DMR-ES30V
    with VHS VCR
    May 2005
    $349.95

DMR-EH50 with Hard Disk Drive (100GB)
    May 2005
    $499.95

The DMR-EH50 features a SD Memory Card slot and "a new, Smart Wheel user-friendly remote control to quickly find recorded programs and start playback faster than ever (200x quick search and fast-forward smooth search.)"
    To me it looks more interesting than the current E85 and for less money :thumbsup:

I hope that the successor of the E95 will be able to record on DVD-R Double Layer as well !
    Sony has already announced a Double Layer recorder: (Sony Press Release), I wish Panasonic and Pioneer will follow this example... Double Layer PC recorders have been out for quite a while nowm, it's high time that we get DL standalone recorders I'd say!

Yves

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    From the look of it the new models are:
    - DMR-ES10: Panasonic E55 replacement
    - DMR-ES30V: Panasonic E75 replacement
    - DMR-EH50: Panasonic E85 replacement

Looks like the numbering scheme has changed as well. Presumably ES for a standalone and EH for HDD. It's just not going get confusing enough :rolleyes: we've already have the E10, E30 and E50!

Major Changes
    From the press release the big changes seem to be:
    - 4 hour full resolution recording (current models offer 3hrs)
    - 12 bit analog to digital encoder
    - Fast startup
    - DVD-RW (Video mode) recording
    - DVD+R recording
    - "Smart Wheel" remote control
    - 200x speed fast forward
    All in all that's quite a few changes for a generation jump. It's going to be interesting to see what gets added to their new mid and top range HDD/DVDR combi - Freeview tuner perhaps!

Networking - or lack thereof
    I can't seen any mention of Ethernet connectivity in the new models. I appreciate the the DMR-ES10 and DMR-EH50 are 'bottom' of their respective ranges but I would have thought the DMR-ES30V - with it's SD/PC Card slots - would also have had it. I hope they are not limiting it to their top-of-the-range models as who in hell wants two or more E500s kicking around the house! Surely the aim was one server (hence the 400GB) and lots of cheap terminals?

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    i would post in the other thread, but i fear it would only get lost in the 'this is better than that discussion' going on :laugh:

anyway, specs aside, i wonder how those prices in dollars will translate over here - do we know how much the current models sell for in the states?.

joe

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Yes - it probably would unfortunately. But the DVD-RW brigade (both of them) are determined to suggest that only their format is worth getting. If that sort of lie is allowed to continue it'd be a sad day. But it is probably best to move the discussion of the new Panasonic's here - I modify my above thread accordingly.

The DMR-ES10 will probably be around £200, the DMR-ES30V around £350 and the DMR-EH50 will be around £400. Same as the respective models (E55, E75 and E85) they are replacing. Like their predecessors they will probably start towards those prices and slowly get cheaper - I wonder what the odds of the ES-10 being around £100 are this time next year?

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Yes - combined with a 'minus' HDD/DVDR combi especially DVD+R DL (or even DVD-R DL when it finally arrives) will be a major capability upgrade.

I will be interested to see how they deal with recording modes on such media though. The normal 4.7GB 1hr recording mode (i.e. M1, XP, HQ or whatever you want to call it) - which on such discs is around 9.8MBits/S - needs to be nearer 8.3 MBits/S to fit 2hrs onto a DVD+R/-R DL. So will the mode just adjust the bitrate depending on rate or will it be Flexible Record only? Not a major issue I know but still the idea of loosing control of bitrates is an issue that needs to be considered.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    oh......and an onboard DVB tuner would be nice.....

7. fuji

fuji
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any pictures of the new models yet?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Very nice!

Hopefully should be some in a few days as pics come out from CES.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    See this! :eek:

I suppose looks aren't everything!

10. YvesC

YvesC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My goodness, what has gotten into their head? :thumbsdow
    I wish this low-end design is only intended for this low-end recorder and not for the whole line!

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Yes indeed. There is no way I will part with £1000 worth of case for the E500 replacement if it looks like that. I'm not normally so shallow but it looks awful! Pray for a new case before it hits the UK!

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    AND some in BLACK *** or JVC get RGB inputs......... Pannyhave -RW so JVC should get RGB....... that does look like a stinker tho urgh....

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Have you acquired a Black DVD recorder yet horny? Or is the search still ongoing?

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    still on going, in no rush as i dont record much, i think i have a good deal on decent player so will just miss programs or use VHS for a while longer..

15. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know when these will be available in the UK and Ireland?
    Is anything changed in the playback dept. Are there any improvements in the quality of the player as I am holding off for a little while to get one which will also be my principle player. The last reviews I read rated the Sony units as having better playback quality than the pannies.

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Yes that's correct. It's quite a slender difference but it is there none-the-less.

17. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not say that PhilipL and I say that -RW is the only format worth getting.But our views over how it is superior for the regular user have obviously been listened too.It does not seem that long ago since Rasczak said Panasonic would never add-RW,and now look.
    Rather than try to make derogatory comments about us,you should be apologising and admitting that we were right all along.
    Panasonic have taken the EXACT route I predicted,of -RW(VIDEO only),while leaving RAM for editing.Once it becomes clear that 2 modes are simpler than 2 completely different types of disc,I predict that other makes may eventually dispense with RAM.Some makes already offer -RW(VR) and RAM.Pretty pointless.But I suppose it all depends on just how gullible the UK public are.They will probably just go for the machine with the most formats on(like some people are currently with Liteon and Sony),not realising that its not needed.
    As Panasonic seem to advertise more heavily than any other make,a good marketing move should shoot their sales up.But it remains to be seen whether the "multi format con" works well enough to force others to follow,or whether they will simply go their own way.
    By "multi format con",I refer to Panny's idea of adding +R recording.In a similar vein to Liteon and Sony,the +R adds no functionality to the recorder,but will simply trick those unknowing into thinking they are getting more than they really are.
    Adding -RW is a good move.The +R is unrequired,and could force all the makes into needless additions to their equipment to keep up

18. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    how about we keep this thread just for any further news about the new panasonics, and use the other thread for the 'format discussions''

19. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Phelings - will you ever quote anyone accurately? Have a look at this thread. You will see even then I stressed that I felt Panasonic should support DVD-RW.

I am sorry Phelings but you rant so much - and change sides so often - that if the world ended tomorrow you'd claim you predicted it.

The +R addition is very cunning: it opens the door to DVD+R DL support in their upper end models.

20. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    i know you're just answering his question Rasczak, but

"how about we keep this thread just for any further news about the new panasonics, and use the other thread for the 'format discussions''

:)

21. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Yes fair one. It just makes me :mad: that I spend ages advising people on DVD recorders and then some :censored: suggests I should apologise for something I never said. :mad:

But your quite right - I consider myself rebuked - and will not respond further to Phelings in this thread.

22. YvesC

YvesC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    The Panasonic EH50 looks slightly better from that angle. Still a step back though...

24. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

It seems every generation of DVD Recorder, no matter who from, ends up looking worse than the model before. However the more you get used to looking at them, the seem not quite so bad.

There almost seems to be "retro" thing going on to the styling, maybe this look is more acceptable by an older generation that they are targetting to replace their VCRs with DVD Recorders?

Regards

Philip

25. YvesC

YvesC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you guys think the colour is really kind of beige, or would it actually be silver (bad lighting perhaps?)

26. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Looks silver to me. It had better be silver :)

27. YvesC

YvesC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Silver it will be :)
    I've found this tiny picture on cnet.com:

[​IMG]

28. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Presumably that is the Smart Wheel on the handset as well. One of my biggest gripes with Panasonic DVD recorders is that all models from the E30 to the current generation of Panasonic's have had very 'weak' handset design IMHO - the original E10 and E20 had it spot on so I'm not sure why they changed it. Hopefully this will rectify that although lets hope the wheel isn't used for or at least isn't the only means of frame advancing - otherwise editting might be tricky. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

29. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    how generous of them to add an extra 20gig.............sheesh

30. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    HDD size may vary before it arrives in the UK - it normally does - we may get more, less or the same depending on what sizes go in their mid and upper range models.