Hold me closer Thai masked dancer.

Ikebana

Standard Member
Excuse the terrible title. Well I decided to make my first foray into the competition as such please don't be too rough with me. Constructive criticism or ideas for improvement are welcome though. Armed with my humble Nikon D40 I attended Ealing Common Thai Festival. The image is of a traditional Thai dancer performing a dance dressed in a very colourful Khon (demon) mask. I made some strange arm movements to get the guy to look at the camera then fired away. Hope this displays right, Exif information should be on Flickr/Fluidr. PP was done on a laptop so may look a lot different on bigger/better displays: I basically upped contrast, darkened some of the right corner due to slightly distracting highlights and desaturated the left corner.

Model: NIKON D40 Exposure: 0.002 sec (1/500) Aperture: f/5.6 ISO Speed: 360 Focal Length: 60 mm Lens: 18.0-70.0 mm f/3.5-4.5

Best viewed large on black at: Fluidr / Khon Mask Dancer by Ikebana85

4703925240_2ea4522470.jpg

Last edited:

shotokan101

Banned
Interesting shot - when I first looked at it I thought it was a Kite :)

Jim

Ikebana

Standard Member
Thanks Jim, appreciate the fact you take time to leave feedback on all the entries. Now that I look at it definitely reminds me of a kite as well!

Last edited:

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
good entry IMO, only slight niggle is I'm wanting to see more of the mask plus I would have cloned out that white seal like thing on the left as it distracts me, as I say minor niggles, good first entry

markbingo

good entry IMO, only slight niggle is I'm wanting to see more of the mask plus I would have cloned out that white seal like thing on the left as it distracts me, as I say minor niggles, good first entry

I have to agree. If that background were more black, it would make the colours "ping" out a bit more. Love the mask though... and the title is inspired!!!

Ikebana

Standard Member

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate the comment regarding the white seal thing as i hadn't even noticed that before. When you're looking at your own photos I think you focus on the things you want to and what you were focusing on when you initially took the picture. Regarding seeing the whole mask, I have a few shots showing it all but you don't get as much detail with the patterns on the mask and the dancers eyes.

Ikebana

Standard Member
I have to agree. If that background were more black, it would make the colours "ping" out a bit more. Love the mask though... and the title is inspired!!!

Thanks for your comments Mark. I'm guessing we're not allowed to edit and resubmit entries? :p. Would be so easy just to darken the background a bit. I'm also very glad that somebody appreciated my Elton inspired title :D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom