1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hobbit?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by G a f f e r, Jun 9, 2004.

1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    PJ is due to make King Kong next.
    He has said he then plans to go back and re-issue a set of ultra-high definition extended editions (just remastered EE's) for people who can see the difference (ie with big screens).
    Does anyone know if there are plans after this to make The Hobbit?
    This is an entirely different childs novel, for much younger children...it will probably be difficult to adapt it to the (ridiculously?) high expectations of an adult audience.
    Any one know if he's going to go for it?

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the biggest problem is that PJ/NewLine don't own the movie rights to The Hobbit...

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I'm sure whoever does would be happy to let PJ take the reigns based on his previous experience (so long as it isn't the same tw** who brought us van helsing :)).
    It would be interesting to see how this book is adapted to film...

4. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I believe the problem is that New LIne do have the rights to make the film, how ever i think someone else (maybe Warner?) have the distributing rights! So until that is sorted there is no chance of it happening. Although PJ has said he'd love to do it, as has Ian Mckellen.

I loved the book, didnt think it was a 'childish' story, i think it could quite easily appeal to adults. Maybe the way it was written is a bit more simpler than LOTR but i think it could be just as 'dark' as the others.

Maybe one day ay!?

Rob

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    New Line have secured the rights to the hobbit and come to an agreement with the other studio ( it wasn't a distribution wrangle some other nonsense I think ).

King Kong is no where near as definite as people make out : last word I heard was that the pre-production ended up being paid for out of Jacksons own pocket and was put on hold.

There have been some noises that the Hobbit could well get put into production sooner ( ie sooner than King Kong) rather than later.

This is all based on stuff I've heard from some very good friends of mine who worked on all three LOTR movies.

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wonder if the Hobbit would lend itself to a tv mini-series rather than a movie - it would be very hard to edit the book down into a 2/3 hour film, I guess maybe they could do part one and part two...

7. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I seem to remember the book being shorter than the fellowship, so maybe a 3 hour/4 hour film is do-able?
    They should use ian m as Gandalf, but getting Bilbo to look much younger ....the make up team have their work cut out for them.
    I think it would make a good "rounding off" piece to the trilogy....as long as they ensure bilbo wasn't concieved by Midacloreans. :D

If King Kong is half as good as LOTR trilogy, I can't wait to see it. (i also seem to remeber "the Frighteners" wasn't too bad either)

8. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Still seems to be going ahead though - this taken from Coming Attractions:

9. pondperson

pondperson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why should Bilbo have to look any younger than he did in The Fellowship of the Ring?
    Possession of the ring prevented ageing, remember Gandalfs reaction when he saw Bilbo.
    "You havent aged a day"
    result - casting no problem

10. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MGM have the distribution rights not Warner Bros. New Line Cinema is a division of AOL Time Warner.

MGM are in financial trouble and are probably demanding a ridiculous sum for the rights knowing how badly New Line want them.

Sony Pictures (aka Columbia Pictures) are on the verge of taking over MGM for $5 Billion so maybe Sony can make a deal with New Line to get it made.

See story here

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/040618/323/eweil.html

11. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Loyal LOTR Fans,

Thank you very, very much for the incredible outpouring of support for LOTR, and your eagerness to see THE HOBBIT.

We, at New Line, are most touched and appreciative of your compliments, and your passion for the remarkable work of the author, the filmmakers, talent, and craftspeople.

We are also, as you, most anxious to see THE HOBBIT realized.

Please be assured that there is, in no way, a crass argument with MGM or anyone over money or rights. In fact, no discussions about any settlement of our respective claims, has been commenced. When, and if, such discussions ensue, be assured that we intend to be equitable and appropriate to the spirit of Tolkien, and THE HOBBIT. We will, as much as possible, "do the right thing", respecting the incredible loyalty and appreciation of the worldwide fans. We hope that MGM will feel the same.

However, we also wish to have the film overseen by the best possible mentors - and, for us, if possible, that means Peter and Fran. They are totally occupied by KING KONG now and, we believe, will be the next twenty-four months, or so.

So our efforts will take time to realize.

Sincerely,

Robert Shaye
    Co-CEO/Co-Chairman
    New Line Cinema

12. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warner Bros are now favourites to buy MGM after Sony's offer stumbled.

If Warner are successful, they will hold the distribution rights to The Hobbit (previously owned by MGM) and the production rights (owned by New Line, a division of Warner).

Peter Jackson could make the hobbit after King Kong.

THE HOBBIT COULD BE OUT FOR IN XMAS 2007!!!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=sto...va_fi_ne/inside_move___hobbit__could_end_up_1