Ho to improve stereo performance?

planbeta

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am going to buy a Denon 3802, and I am wondering what I can add to push the stereo performance up a level? Can you add a stereo amp? I'm pretty clueless here!

Any ideas?

Cheers

You can add a stereo amp which will run the main pair of speakers with the Denon just providing the decoding and powering the centre and rears.

It's an expensive way of getting improved stereo and rather than spend £1,000 plus to do it this way, it may be better to buy an AV amp that handles stereo better than the Denon in the first place.

Have a look at Arcam if stereo is your priority.

I hadn't realised that Denon A/V amps had a reputation for poor stereo; is this a serious drawback in their gear? In what way is the stereo performance weak?

Bert
www.bertcoules.co.uk

Originally posted by Ian J
You can add a stereo amp which will run the main pair of speakers with the Denon just providing the decoding and powering the centre and rears.

It's an expensive way of getting improved stereo and rather than spend £1,000 plus to do it this way, it may be better to buy an AV amp that handles stereo better than the Denon in the first place.

The reason I ask is I have been offered the Arcam DiVA A65 at dirt cheap price, if I buy this can I use it with the Denon? and will it significantly increase stereo sound?

The Denon is good for Movies and PLII and the A65 is supposed to be good for stereo - so does it follow I will have a good all round system this way for under £1000?

Cheers

Chris

Originally posted by planbeta
The Denon is good for Movies and PLII and the A65 is supposed to be good for stereo - so does it follow I will have a good all round system this way for under £1000?

I don't know the A65 but if you connect up a "good" stereo amp to the 3802 you will have the best of both worlds.

Excellent, thanks Ian just what I needed to know!

Hope it's not going to be too hard connecting/configuring it all!?

By the way in stereo mode would the 3802 provide the sub bass if required?

Thanks again...

Chris

I have to pass on that one. I have read the theory but haven't tried it in practice. I presume so but am not 100% sure

Excellent, thanks Ian just what I needed to know!

Hope it's not going to be too hard connecting/configuring it all!?

Thanks again...

Chris

This isn't hard to set up, but there are serious problems so be warned. First, to answer your questions, the bass would not be powered in stereo mode. This is because the sub would be connected to the Denon, unless there is a way of connecting it to the Denon and the Arcam at the same time.

Now to the problem. I connected an A75 to a Denon A10SE to experiment for exactly the same reasons are you are currently doing. It worked like a dream in most respects BUT the Arcam has a low threshold before the safety circuits kick in. So, you'll be watching a film and during a particularly loud passage, the Arcam would cut out and switch itself back on a few seconds later.

This is damn annoying.

Even during Moulin Rouge the fronts kept cutting out as the Arcams protection circuits kicked in.

If you listen to films at low levels, its fine. Turn it up a touch and you'll be disconnecting it pretty quickly.

Hope this helps :)

UrbanT - Thanks for the advice/warning!

Everything will work exactly the same way, regarding processing, with or without the extra power, you will get bass to the sub both ways, if you use the LFE and Denon internal crossover, you don´t have to change anything, if you use high level connection, just connect to the output of the power, instead of the receiver...

Now, if the Arcam is not powerfull enough for your front speakers, you will have the problems Urban referes...

do not mean to hijack thread, i have 3802+arcam divaa85 connected see earlier thread (how to connect 3802+a85) i have not tried a85+3802 with a dvd only with pl2 mode on vcr worked ok, re protection circuits (what does this protect(speakers or a85)
the a75 is 50watts the a85 is 85watts i cannot comment on prot/circuits cutting in or out as my a85 is only working on 1 speaker channel for the av line in ,and will be returned to dealer for checking out, for me personnally i dont find the a85 in sterio is a (great deal better than 3802) having heard 3802 vs arcam avr200 in sterio arcam (i think is better) but 3802 better for av side,

Mick, is the difference in stereo between the 3802 and the AVR200 appreciable?

Also are you saying that the A85 is not that much better than the 3802 in stereo?

Cheers

Chris

i already owned 3802(avr200 had not been released when 3802 was purchased) last week heard 3802+cdm1nts+nad 540i cdplayer (i own nad540) then heard avr200+cdm1nts, avr200 was linked to arcam £1000 either cd or dvd/cd player this would affect the comparison, then heard arcam a85+cdm1nts+nad540i this was the best out of all for sterio, having gone this route, 3802+a85 having more time to compare at home 3802vsa85 i do not think the extra cost of (£630 at cheapest for a85) gives that much improvement over 3802 to warrent the expence, hope this helps,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom