HMV Planet of the Apes aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by per-Sony-fied, Sep 3, 2007.

1. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hmmmm.......

I'm a little confused :confused:. I bought Planet of the Apes recently (and very good it is too :)) from HMV's weekly bargains. The casing clearly states a aspect ratio of 1:33 which would go along with the opening titles as the sun in the background is clearly far to oval in widescreen, considering it was made in the 70's & America this is what you would expect...... however once the series get under way it remains in widescreen & looks correct to me. I've fiddled with all me controls & cannot get it to display in any other aspect ratio..... so my question is.... is ths really widescreen (how did they do it if so) or am I having a bad hair day(s) :rolleyes:

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Which version is it as there are a few about? It should be 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=11066

If you have a widescreen TV make sure the player and TV is set to 16:9 or wide mode. If the TV is 4:3, then choose 4:3 letterbox (4:3 LB) in the player setup.

3. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It is not the film version it is the TV series Colletors edition on 4 discs. A whole 664mins of it.

It certainly does not have the 2.35 aspect ratio. Seems to be 16:9 but as it was made for TV somehow seems incorrect. Box says 1.33:1 Normally anything that is 4:3 automatically switches or can be switched manually. I'm having no luck which is suggesting it is otherwise.

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
  5. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    After visiting the dvdtimes site I decided to put my trusty Sony DVD player into service via RGB & sure enough the series revelead a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Quickly reverting back to my beloved Arcam via component revealed 16:9 once again. Delved into the setup once again & changed the type of output from NTSC to PAL/NTSC auto & woo hoo 4:3. So it me after all. My TV has a dislike for changing widescreen aspect ratio via component unless told to do so via source. Unfortunately unless the source is setup correctly it too does not switch!