HMV now out of administration again

Went into HMV in Leeds today.
It's due to close down, but a new store is opening up the road in the St Johns Centre.
20% off everything as part of it's closing down sale.

There's an interesting article about the Edinburgh closure here. It could describe the chain nationally and is more or less stating what some of the esteemed contributors here have been saying for months.

I for one had hoped there was more to the takeover than vinyl PR. Still do.

Last edited:
I was hmv Newcastle yesterday and they have their usual two for offers on.
They have two for 30 on 4k blu-ray. I could only find apocalypse now that I wanted in the offer. So I didn't bother and they lost a sale.
I believe the two for offers are misguided and looses them many sales.
Why not just make all of those in the two for 30 offer, 15 each and they would sell so many more
I know quite a few people who feel the same way and would buy much from the shop if they ditched the two for, and five for offers on bluray.
If they are going to survive then they have to take chances. They already have the largest market share. Now its time to nail their position down
Weatherspoons have the right approach. They cut their profit margins right down and make the extra up from increased sales
I know its not that simple but as a blueprint it's very attractive. After all, it's how amazon operate.

This article says that up to ten stores are in danger of closing if negotiations with landlords fail.

The 10 stores which are subject to negotiations are: Birmingham Bullring, Leeds Headrow, Bristol Cribbs, Edinburgh Ocean Terminal, Glasgow Braehead, Grimsby, Merryhill, Reading, Sheffield Meadowhall and Worcester.

Bri
The Birmingham Bullring store has closing down signs on it. The new HMV Vault is just down the road as well so it makes sense not to duplicate shops close together.

That's not how the high street works. HMV isn't a discount store and they can't offer cheap prices across the board. They have some items very cheap to draw you into their store in the hope; you'll buy some things you weren't intending to buy, while you're in there. Have you heard the term 'loss leader'? :)

As for selling Criterions at £22, Amazon are selling Criterion blus at 17.99 but then again Amazon don't pay business rates and pay very little tax.
And this is why the high Street is failing. They are using anti deluvian failed practices.
I agree it's hard to compete with amazon and their appalling avoidance of taxes.
but unless stores are going to survive then they have to adapt
hmv is a store. There is not suci thing as bargain stores. They are all stores. Hmv have not changed their approach at all. They are continuing with failed approaches
They may as well quit now if they continue to sell movies like to Sir with love for £20
I was in store yesterday and there were hundreds of brilliant bluray at insane prices that they can never sell.
You either change your strategy or quit now. The current pricing policy can only result in bankruptcy.
I was in Newcastle yesterday and most of the remaining department stores will eventually go under
Store after store didn't have the display items in stock. People want stock now.
I bought from richer sounds last week. They are pro active, keep stock, have attentive staff. Prices are brilliant and they make money
then you look at Fenwicks. Five floors of high quality display stock. Little available to take away. Staff who couldn't care less.
I had £3 to spend on a new TV just after Xmas. Fenwicks couldn't care less. John lewis had no stock. Pc world staff can't add up let alone give advise
amazon aren't the only reason the high street is dying. Much of the demise is down to stores failing to adapt and change the way they sell
Fenwicks will close soon. And they are to blame for their own downfall. Hmv will be gone soon.
amazon don't have to do a thing. These stores are committing suicide

I had £3 to spend on a new TV just after Xmas. Fenwicks couldn't care less. John lewis had no stock. Pc world staff can't add up let alone give advise
amazon aren't the only reason the high street is dying. Much of the demise is down to stores failing to adapt and change the way they sell
Fenwicks will close soon. And they are to blame for their own downfall. Hmv will be gone soon.
amazon don't have to do a thing. These stores are committing suicide

What's the world coming to when you can't pick up a decent TV for three quid? :laugh: Joking aside I know what you mean. I think Fenwick's have or had a store in London and was it in York but most people outside our area won't know it. We used to go in a lot but not so much nowadays. I might be going to Newcastle later today but I'll probably not be buying anything from Fenwicks or HMV.

Bri

I had £3 to spend on a new TV just after Xmas. Fenwicks couldn't care less.
can't really blame them if you walked in w/ that sort of budget.

I was hmv Newcastle yesterday and they have their usual two for offers on.
They have two for 30 on 4k blu-ray. I could only find apocalypse now that I wanted in the offer. So I didn't bother and they lost a sale.
I believe the two for offers are misguided and looses them many sales.
Why not just make all of those in the two for 30 offer, 15 each and they would sell so many more
I know quite a few people who feel the same way and would buy much from the shop if they ditched the two for, and five for offers on bluray.
If they are going to survive then they have to take chances. Now its time to nail their position down
Weatherspoons have the right approach. They cut their profit margins right down and make the extra up from increased sales
I know its not that simple but as a blueprint it's very attractive. After all, it's how amazon operate.

So Amazon sell all their 4K blu ray for £15 :rolleyes:

Why do you keep comparing HMV to Amazon ?

Is Amazon an high street shop NO
Does Amazon just sell hard media,dvd,blu rays,LP CD etc, to make their profits NO
Does Amazon pay high street taxes NO

("They already have the largest market share) Their are the only ones left,but it seem an policy on this thread now to try to bring them down :(

Last edited:
So Amazon sell all their 4K blu ray for £15 :rolleyes:

Why do you keep comparing HMV to Amazon ?

Is Amazon an high street shop NO
Does Amazon just sell hard media,dvd,blu rays,LP CD etc, to make their profits NO
Does Amazon pay high street taxes NO

("They already have the largest market share) Their are the only ones left,but it seem an policy on this thread now to try to bring them down :(
Have Amazon’s prices been creeping upwards now a lot their old competition has gone bust? YES

And this is why the high Street is failing. They are using anti deluvian failed practices.
The High Street is failing due to a number of factors but principally because people are using it less and less. Last year I saw something on BBC East Midlands News which indicated the decline of high street shops is irreversible. They were looking at the rebuilding of the Broadmarsh Centre and refurbishment of the Victoria Centre in Nottingham. They asked people for their opinions of the redevelopment and one person said 'we need another shopping centre like a hole in the head' This was an opinion from a woman, I never thought I'd see a day were a woman would complain about there being too many shops in a town centre.:D

I know I'm being sexist but they interviewed mostly woman ranging from teens to people 60+ and the only group of people that were enthusiastic about the Broadmarsh Centre being rebuilt were from the older generation.

Other than food shopping I go into shops about two or three times a year, because I don't like crowds, queuing etc. I prefer the internet. My wife's been saying to me for years now the city centre isn't as crowded as it used to be, despite her words, I was still stunned at how quite the city centre was the weekend before Christmas. I'm now thinking if crowds have died down so much I might consider returning to shopping on the high street more often.

I might actually start using the high street more if Amazon keep pulling the **** they've been doing lately.
- virtually every seller seems to be a dubious Chinese company
- I've had two items "fulfilled by Amazon" that weren't and ended up weeks late due to coming from China
- had to return a CD because it wasn't the special edition advertised, and after several have left feedback saying this they still haven't changed the description of the item
- their customer service trying to sort that refund procedure is a story in itself, total ignorance and incompetence from the "help" lines
- had another delivery left hanging from my letter box, marked "handed to resident", no knock at the door, nor left in the safe place i'd specified.
- pre-ordered a book, a week later the delivery estimate was "dec 12 to Feb 20" [!!] and now when I look it says the item is out of stock, so I dunno if i'm getting it or not.

ebay is getting the same, put "UK only" in the filter and you still get 80%+ Chinese.

Have Amazon’s prices been creeping upwards now a lot their old competition has gone bust? YES

One thing I have noticed is Amazon don't drop the price of their discs as quickly as they used to. I've had a fair few Blu's on my wishlist that are still knocking around the £15 mark. Used to be quite quick they'd be £10 or even £7.50.

One thing I have noticed is Amazon don't drop the price of their discs as quickly as they used to. I've had a fair few Blu's on my wishlist that are still knocking around the £15 mark. Used to be quite quick they'd be £10 or even £7.50.
For games I’ve definitely noticed them being amongst the most expensive nowadays, especially for preorders.

Fenwicks were excellent with me when I bought my 65" Sony ZD9 a couple of years ago. John Lewis were shockingly bad and refused to sell me one. "We have no stock. You have the wrong model number. It has been discontinued..." They did. I didn't. It hadn't. I haven't bought a single big ticket item from them since.

Mind, there was a funny thing with Fenwicks. They had a price match sign up but the manager would not price match Richer Sounds. "We only price match John Lewis. They price match everyone else. So we kind of price match everyone". Cue much discussion about them changing their signage to "We price match John Lewis only". I eventually got the TeeVee for the price I wanted. But it was more than 3 quid :D

I finally took that damaged Premium Collection BD of Suspicion back to HMV at the weekend. Girl on the counter was not surprised by the resealable poly bag. "Yeah, we sometimes have to use them". She opened the box and inspected the contents. I pointed out it was odd the slip was damaged but the case inside was not. She agreed and exchanged it for a pristine one.

I also picked up some cheapies when I was in there:

Concussion BD steelbook - 3.99
Potiche BD - 1.99
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (Director's Cut) - 2.99 (when bought with anything else)

Just under 9 quid. Happy with that :)

I was also told that the multi-buy offers would be back. But changing regularly. Focusing on studio to studio releases (88, Criterion, Arrow etc.). Sounds good.

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of the current Fox / MGM 2.99 offer but I was told instore that it is due to Fox 'streamlining' their back catalogue. If you are after any get in there quick as they have been disappearing from their website.

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of the current Fox / MGM 2.99 offer but I was told instore that it is due to Fox 'streamlining' their back catalogue. If you are after any get in there quick as they have been disappearing from their website.

I heard it was due to rebranding under the Disney banner but while I expect many will be re released I also think plenty won't.

It may depend on how some titles have sold, which would be a shame :(

So far I've picked up:

Miller’s Crossing
300 Spartans
My Cousin Rachel
Snatched
Mystic Pizza
M*A*S*H
Get Shorty
Be Cool
Me, Myself & Irene
Rain Man
Capote
Mirrors
White Men Can't Jump
A Walk in the Clouds
The Jewel of the Nile
Wall Street double-pack
Niagara
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Bus Stop
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Agony and the Ecstasy
How Green Was My Valley
An Affair to Remember
The Diary of Anne Frank

Still no new points scheme ? With the lack of stores you have to make a means to visit one, there has to be an incentive. At the minute there isn't.

It may depend on how some titles have sold, which would be a shame :(

So far I've picked up:

Miller’s Crossing
300 Spartans
My Cousin Rachel
Snatched
Mystic Pizza
M*A*S*H
Get Shorty
Be Cool
Me, Myself & Irene
Rain Man
Capote
Mirrors
White Men Can't Jump
A Walk in the Clouds
The Jewel of the Nile
Wall Street double-pack
Niagara
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Bus Stop
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Agony and the Ecstasy
How Green Was My Valley
An Affair to Remember
The Diary of Anne Frank

It appears that HMV is the new Poundland.

:)
Bri

All HMV and Fopp stores are temporarily closing after today's trading, you can still order from HMV online.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom