HMV now out of administration again

I bought a few things yesterday. I spotted the UHD of Alien on the counter for 9.99 if bought with anything else. The slip was mashed on two corners. And so it starts...
"Do you have any more copies?"
"No. Just Alien"
"Do you have any without damaged slipcases?"
"They are all the same"
"What? They are all damaged? Even the pile of them behind you?"
Guy gets one off the shelf behind him. It is pristine. So I buy it. HMV Newcastle is my most hated store. You don't get this at the MetroCentre.

I bought a few things yesterday. I spotted the UHD of Alien on the counter for 9.99 if bought with anything else. The slip was mashed on two corners. And so it starts...
"Do you have any more copies?"
"No. Just Alien"
"Do you have any without damaged slipcases?"
"They are all the same"
"What? They are all damaged? Even the pile of them behind you?"
Guy gets one off the shelf behind him. It is pristine. So I buy it. HMV Newcastle is my most hated store. You don't get this at the MetroCentre.

I wanted a Dr Who set from there. All the copies on the shelves had one of those wired security tags which had bitten into the covers. I went to the counter and asked if they had any unwired copies because. The women finished off my sentence "they damage the covers" and she happily got me another copy from behind the counter.

Bri

I think it all depends on who serves you. Some have been pretty good, but some aren't at all :(

The MetroCentre one they all pretty much know the score. Sunderland are pretty good and so are Darlington :)

Metro is my go to place for big sets though.

They did tell me that they were going to start with display boxes for expensive sets. Which would be very welcome.

I think it all depends on who serves you. Some have been pretty good, but some aren't at all :(

The MetroCentre one they all pretty much know the score. Sunderland are pretty good and so are Darlington :)

Metro is my go to place for big sets though.

They did tell me that they were going to start with display boxes for expensive sets. Which would be very welcome.

I'm not sure if I've been to the Darlington store and I haven't been to the MetroCentre in years. They do seem to be using display cases more but there are still wired sets on the shelves.

Bri

I'm not sure if I've been to the Darlington store and I haven't been to the MetroCentre in years. They do seem to be using display cases more but there are still wired sets on the shelves.

Bri

Yeah, they said it would be a process. They get display boxes when they can.

I remember trying to buy the big Star Trek Movie Collection on VHS years ago. It was from a shop in the MetroCentre (not HMV) and when I took it to the counter the girl went out the back and came back with a pile of VHS tapes and started to pick the sellotape off the display box!

No. I didn't buy it :)

Yeah, they said it would be a process. They get display boxes when they can.

I remember trying to buy the big Star Trek Movie Collection on VHS years ago. It was from a shop in the MetroCentre (not HMV) and when I took it to the counter the girl went out the back and came back with a pile of VHS tapes and started to pick the sellotape off the display box!

No. I didn't buy it :)

That reminds me of buying a Laserdisc in the Newcastle store J.G. Windows. The display copy of a disc I wanted was damaged and they didn't have another one. The staff on the LD counter were normally excellent but there was a woman serving who I'd not seen before. When I asked to order a new copy she looked at me as lf I was mad and refused to do so. They already had a copy in so there was no way she was going to order another one. Believe it or not they had a Captain Peacock alike floorwalker. He saw what was going on and told her to order me a copy. She gave us a filthy look. I never saw her again.

Bri

You knew you were 'in' when you got behind the counter in Bill Hutchinsons to go through their NTSC LDs :) I don't think I bought many LDs from Windows.

You knew you were 'in' when you got behind the counter in Bill Hutchinsons to go through their NTSC LDs :) I don't think I bought many LDs from Windows.

Indeed including the nudge nudge wink wink discs. :rotfl: They had mainly/exclusively US discs. Windows were there before them selling UK discs pretty much from when the format was first launched. HMV sold them for a while too.

Bri

I remember them in HMV. I actually bought some from them. With the BBFC stickers :D

They used to just change the dollar symbol for a pound sign.

Still no news on that new points scheme we all had the email about ..... one word USELESS !

and it's getting on for a year since the website went down... time flies

I was looking on social media last week and HMV are all over it like a rash talking about music and pushing instore happenings (live bands etc) and talking about vinyl as you'd expect. Seems all good in that world.

Maybe music is their new business model and if that's where their mojo is (as it was) that's nice for music fans and hopefully HMV's bottom line.

Could be a winner for them.

I've been fairly patient with them bringing back the Pure Points but I'm getting a bit fed up now. At least they could give us an update. As I've mentioned before I did see quite a substantial increase of interest around the vinyl after they greatly increased their stock but that seems to have died down now.

Bri

They had an offer on some of their 4K UHDs.
Buy one get one free but only those at the same stickered price.

So I picked up two at £19.99 each and another two at £24.99 each.
Expected to pay £44.98.

It took a lot of explaining to get it at that and not at £49.98.
Now I understand if it was cheapest free, but it said only those at the same price.

I got it at £44.98 in the end with the cashier saying 'we aren't supposed to do this' etc etc.

Expected to pay £44.98.

Now I understand if it was cheapest free, but it said only those at the same price.

I got it at £44.98 in the end with the cashier saying 'we aren't supposed to do this' etc etc.

That's ridiculous. It's just encouraging us to buy them 2 at a time causing more work for them.

Bri

That's ridiculous. It's just encouraging us to buy them 2 at a time causing more work for them.

Bri

Yes, I even said I'll buy two, go outside, come back in and buy the other two. To be met with a blank look.

i was in the guildford branch this lunchtime. quite a big store. i was in there a good half an hour and i didn't hear the till ring once. like a ghosttown in there. plenty of vinyl but not the items i was after.

Expected to pay £44.98.

Wow. That's insane. So they couldn't work out that you could buy the two for £19.99 and then buy the other two for £24.99 separately if you had to?! Madness.

still no news on website or pure card. has anyone any inside knowledge of what is just going on? staff have to parrot the official line as i think they know as much as we do.maybe someone in management reads this and can give an update. the communication from them has been non existant to say the least.

Some apparent good news for their business: HMV is back in profit in the UK already

That's an incredibly woolly article. The head bloke saying HMV will be profitable this year is not the same as it actually being profitable. Also the bit about between 3 and 40% of their business being DVD and blu ray. That's one hell of a margin for error. I'd love the story to be true but I'm afraid I just don't believe it.

Bri

Some apparent good news for their business: HMV is back in profit in the UK already

That's an incredibly woolly article. The head bloke saying HMV will be profitable this year is not the same as it actually being profitable. Also the bit about between 3 and 40% of their business being DVD and blu ray. That's one hell of a margin for error. I'd love the story to be true but I'm afraid I just don't believe it.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom