Question HMV exlusive/limited....are they really?

tim1982

I placed an order last night for 2 exclusive/limited edition vinyl from HMV for there vinyl week, I couldn't make it to a store so took a chance the ones I wanted would be available at 6pm when they listed the remaining few online. Got online, found what I wanted and took 45 minutes to check out as the site kept crashing. A few minutes later I checked the site and most of everything was out of stock, I then kept getting email notifications that they were "back in stock", I understand orders can be cancelled or they may find the odd one slip down the back of a shelf but this went on all evening and also this morning?

Are these vinyl as limited as they advertise? One I bought was limited to 1000 and another 300, I also saw on a site I'm a member of that someone bought the umbrella academy soundtrack limited to 500 and his said number 531 of 500?!?!?

Anyone else have any experience with them over the years?

mightymax76

Its a good question. The 531 of 500 is a bit of an oddity mind.
I'd expect incoming stock, to be a mixture of cancellations, payment declined, customer limit reached (don't know if online sales limit number of copies you can purchase), incomplete checkouts (including timing out) and additional copies produced for faulty returns or AWOL deliveries. I would be surprised if 500 solely meant 500. If it was a smaller, more independent retailer I'd say yes, but not for larger sellers. Its a lot easier to get away with, if the product isn't numbered.

I too purchased from the website, although it didn't crash but went very very slow. I managed to get Madness and Morrissey.

tim1982

I think you may be right regarding over printing, I heard about companies doing this a while ago. Kind Of sucks that companies can't stick to an actual number as it rather diminishes the collectability if they say they made 500 but there's 1000+ floating about.

I ended up getting Moby Play album and eels beautiful freak, did try for bon Jovi crossroads and umbrella academy but lost them out of my cart due to taking sooooo long to checkout.

mightymax76

I found the HMV release a real mixed bag TBH. Moby was rereleased on red vinyl not long ago, Queens rerelease last year they couldn’t shift - so surprised they went for another one, Absolute Beginners has been released not long ago - presume it’s a double dip for some, The Who greatest hits - they’ve had loads of these albums over the years. But all of them sold out.
I mean Madness has been released numerous times over the years, and they’re one that always sells due to the dedicated fan base.

mightymax76

I think you may be right regarding over printing, I heard about companies doing this a while ago. Kind Of sucks that companies can't stick to an actual number as it rather diminishes the collectability if they say they made 500 but there's 1000+ floating about.

I ended up getting Moby Play album and eels beautiful freak, did try for bon Jovi crossroads and umbrella academy but lost them out of my cart due to taking sooooo long to checkout.

As an update on your question. I think they’ve oversubscribed on some orders, as my Morrissey has been dispatched, but Madness hasn’t. Says “payment taken”, but not dispatched. As they’d be paying the postage, you’d think it would be sent out together. My gut feeling says this part of my order will be cancelled in the next few days.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom