HMRC Account / Gov Gateway & Corp Tax Online

jaipal2004

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a limited company, trading since 2018 and recently filed my tax return a few days ago via the HMRC government gateway portal using the relevant section. Spoke to their helpdesk today and apparently been accepted by HMRC today (no confirmation via email etc so not sure what the normal procedure is).

If I login to the portal I can download the submission as a html file and this also contains the CT600 form with the figures entered - it doesn't contain any kind of HMRC 'approvals' etc. The status of the return is also 'submitted'.

I am looking to apply for the UK government's BBLS and as part of that the bank needs my CT600 - apparently I need to provide them with the HMRC confirmation that I can get from their portal, containing UTR, Correlation ID etc etc. Now I have these details separately on the main screen from which I can take a screenshot but not on anything I can download from the portal with it all on.

My question is this:

What happens once my return is ok'd by HMRC - should I get additional options on the portal to download the official stuff that my bank needs? The HMRC online helpdesk bod couldn't even tell me what to expect and was clueless so hoping somebody who files in the same way can help. He couldn't even tell me if there's a status beyond 'submitted'.

thanks

Jai

I'm not aware that you can file a CT600 via HMRC's portal. Personal tax, yes, Corporation Tax, no. Unless this has changed recently, this has to be done via third party software.

My question is this:

What happens once my return is ok'd by HMRC - should I get additional options on the portal to download the official stuff that my bank needs? The HMRC online helpdesk bod couldn't even tell me what to expect and was clueless so hoping somebody who files in the same way can help. He couldn't even tell me if there's a status beyond 'submitted'.

thanks

Jai

HMRC don't issue acknowledgements or confirmations that your submission is/was fine, they only contact following submission if there is an issue. When you submitted via the gov.uk portal you would have had the option to download a draft and also the submitted version. It's the second one you want. There isn't anything else to my knowledge, at least not anything I've seen in my several years of filing the same returns.

I'm not aware that you can file a CT600 via HMRC's portal. Personal tax, yes, Corporation Tax, no. Unless this has changed recently, this has to be done via third party software.

It's been possible to file your annual accounts and corporation tax paperwork to both HMRC and Companies House (at the same time!) online for years (at least if you're a smaller business and don't have property, investments or other complex elements etc.). Initially it was a strange PDF form system, more recently it's all web based. It has been possible to do online like that since at least 2013-14, possibly earlier! Every year they manage to improve it, and I've always marveled that the government managed to produce an IT system that is relatively user-friendly and 'just works'.

HMRC don't issue acknowledgements or confirmations that your submission is/was fine, they only contact following submission if there is an issue. When you submitted via the gov.uk portal you would have had the option to download a draft and also the submitted version. It's the second one you want. There isn't anything else to my knowledge, at least not anything I've seen in my several years of filing the same returns.

It's been possible to file your annual accounts and corporation tax paperwork to both HMRC and Companies House (at the same time!) online for years (at least if you're a smaller business and don't have property, investments or other complex elements etc.). Initially it was a strange PDF form system, more recently it's all web based. It has been possible to do online like that since at least 2013-14, possibly earlier! Every year they manage to improve it, and I've always marveled that the government managed to produce an IT system that is relatively user-friendly and 'just works'.

thanks for the detailed reply mate.

I think what I can download matches what you've written above (html copy).

Seems Barclays are either out of touch with what is produced these days or have old versions from other customers. I think they want me to furnish something similar to the one shown in the below link:

Company Tax Return (CT600) - Helpful Digitalhelpfuldigital.com › wp-content › uploads › 2015/08

(found that available freely on the internet - will remove if it shouldn't on there)

If you loo at that version it has the UTR, IRMark etc on the top of every page.

thanks

thanks for the detailed reply mate.

I think what I can download matches what you've written above (html copy).

Seems Barclays are either out of touch with what is produced these days or have old versions from other customers. I think they want me to furnish something similar to the one shown in the below link:

Company Tax Return (CT600) - Helpful Digitalhelpfuldigital.com › wp-content › uploads › 2015/08

(found that available freely on the internet - will remove if it shouldn't on there)

If you loo at that version it has the UTR, IRMark etc on the top of every page.

thanks
My return has the UTR on quite a few pages. It doesn't have an IRMark - that seems to be something third-party software produces to confirm validity. I've found a few other examples of people having this issue of a missing IR Mark dating back several years when using HMRC tools...

Possibly there's a difference between what the gov.uk HMRC/Companies House solution produces versus the approach taken by accountants / third party software?

If you're not getting anywhere from Barclays, possibly worth a live chat / call with HMRC to ask them directly? Corporation Tax: general enquiries

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom