1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmmmm Ruark Epilogues

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paiger, May 13, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having run Ruark Epilogue R's as mains for a while, I finally tracked down a pair of Prelude R's for mains so I could move the Epilogues to the rear where they belong. Now, the Epilogues are fantastic little speakers and quite charmed me.

On firing up the Preludes, I was underwhelmed but decided I would grow to love them. The lacked the punchy dynamics of the Epilogue. The clarity and richness was gone but the overall sound was warmer and easier.

The other day I picked up a copy of Stars by Simply Red in Tesco for £7. Had it years ago and lost it. Came home, played it. nice.

Now, I have recently decided to sell the house and have had to remove some AV gear to make the place look better, which involved going back to stereo with the Epilogues as mains. I put on 'Stars' and low and behold, I hear things I have never heard before.

Dammit all to hell. Why do they sound better? I can't accept it, they were half the price or less.

I'm now thinking of ditching the Preludes, getting another pair of Epilogue R's and investing in a fine Sub for the bits they really can't manage.

I love those Preludes though.

Damn you God for making me think this way.

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Steve.

Over the weekend after next i shall be borrowing (these are the only Ruarks they currently have):

Prologue 2
    Etude
    Epilogue 2

just for fun, it has been a long time since spending any real time with Ruarks.
    No intention to buy of course, but will in due course post some conclusions/comparative abilites.

Regards

Steve.

In the dim recesses of my mind i recall not being overcome with admiration (particularly IIRC the Log Rythmn which i felt was not on any way special given the asking price) but this was a few years ago and i feel somewhat more confident in my "opinion"(??) these days.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be good if you could give me your impressions. I wonder if my Sony 1080 cannot handle the Preludes very well.

When I first auditioned them, I felt they were the best in the shop, in front of Monitor Audio, B+W etc.

I'm going to hook the Preludes up to the 'B' speaker terminals and get someone to blind test me.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've borrowed the Epilogue II's. Very nice, fanastic in the vocal range, great midrange. However they struggle with modern music. Put on Madonna Ray of Light and they just can't handle the low stuff.

I bought the Etudes instead, they go a bit lower and have no problems with that album.

IMO I think you need a better quality amp than the Sony.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do like my 1080 but I'm moving house soon into a barn that is half converted so there will be no room for AV gear. With that in mind, I've packed it all up and will be selling the Sony, rather than shift it around all the time and let it get damp and damaged. I'd rather it was used and looked after.

I nipped up to comet and bought a cheap Teac 300 system that was ex-display which will do fine for music. When I get set up again I will probably go for pre-power and spend a bit more cash on some Tag or Arcam gear.